• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dawkins’ Belief Scale

Dawkins' Belief Scale

• Total voters

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
If god existed we would suspeect to see simular attributes in all cultures reporting. The only thing they all have in common, is he remains hidden and never visible.

You are assuming a personal God. What about a pantheist "god" or a Deist God? Would you still expect to see "signs"? Other than the existence of the Universe, that is.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
known history is all you need.

Its mountain of evidence showing exactly how man created deities as man always has.

The god concept started evolving befopre the people who become Israeli's ever moved there. All the deities used by polytheistic hebrews belong to previous civilizations. then when the hebrews formed and used these manmade previous deities, the deities seriously evolved within judaism, then christianity, then islam, then john smith.

started polytheism, with El, Yahweh, Baal and Asherah and a few others
switched to montheism in 622 BC and strict devotion to yahweh
switched to polythesim with worship of yahweh and jesus and later a ghost
switched to monotheism with the trinity concept
redifined with islam
redifined with john smith

this is all vague and not detailed, but it shows you some of the many ever changing concepts man has given to the concept.
Why shouldn't our concept of God change as we grow and develop?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Probablilities show this with a high degree of certainty to be imagination.

I admit to making it up, imagining it if you will ;)

If god existed we would suspeect to see simular attributes in all cultures reporting. The only thing they all have in common, is he remains hidden and never visible.

I have a idea, call it whacky, that the hidden place, is within imagination.
I guess that is true if you don't actually do any research on the subject.

outhouse

Atheistically
when man knew little of the natural world around him.

There were rain gods

why are there no rain gods now?? because we understand all aspects of rain.

our understand has grown and gods have been pushed all the way back OUT of reality and into our imagination where they originated.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
when man knew little of the natural world around him.

There were rain gods

why are there no rain gods now?? because we understand all aspects of rain.

our understand has grown and gods have been pushed all the way back OUT of reality and into our imagination where they originated.
Or have they been pushed out of causation and into ontology?

outhouse

Atheistically
That's not an answer to the question, but considering your motives and viewpoint, I expect it's the best I will see in response. Thank you.

thats a weak rebuttle

show us then, how dieties are not imagination.

Where did they come from? You know, where did rain deities come from??

where did fire deities come from??

where did thunder deities come from??

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
You are assuming a personal God. What about a pantheist "god" or a Deist God? Would you still expect to see "signs"? Other than the existence of the Universe, that is.
I don't think the pantheistic "God" is what Dawkins had in mind with this scale. Dawkins is the one who coined the term "sexed up atheism" to describe Pantheism.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
fantôme profane;2882625 said:
I don't think the pantheistic "God" is what Dawkins had in mind with this scale. Dawkins is the one who coined the term "sexed up atheism" to describe Pantheism.

Agreed on both counts. Obviously it's easier to predict the results of an "experiment" if one sets the parameters in such a manner to achieve the desired results. I think it was no accident that Dawkins phrased his scale in a very specific manner. My point was to point out this flaw just as others have pointed out or alluded.

Besides "sexed up atheism", Dawkins is one of the "Four Horsemen of New Atheism" and an advocate of militancy among his followers. Specific phrasing is a key to leading people to take a certain point of view. It doesn't matter the religious or the political philosophy, the strategy works the same. Unethical, maybe, but certainly effective.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
I like the idea of this thread, hopefully we can get more people to vote and get a good idea of what the overall population here believes regarding the existence of God, cool thread.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Agreed on both counts. Obviously it's easier to predict the results of an "experiment" if one sets the parameters in such a manner to achieve the desired results. I think it was no accident that Dawkins phrased his scale in a very specific manner. My point was to point out this flaw just as others have pointed out or alluded.

Besides "sexed up atheism", Dawkins is one of the "Four Horsemen of New Atheism" and an advocate of militancy among his followers. Specific phrasing is a key to leading people to take a certain point of view. It doesn't matter the religious or the political philosophy, the strategy works the same. Unethical, maybe, but certainly effective.
Define "militancy".