• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Define Christianity

Muffled

Jesus in me
Christian technically means someone who believes the Jewish Messiah has come. However although I call myself a Christian I most often identify with the term: follower of the way.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Christian technically means someone who believes the Jewish Messiah has come. However although I call myself a Christian I most often identify with the term: follower of the way.
The group of people who think they follow the word of christ as told in the NT
Close but not exactly. I follow the Way who is Jesus and only lean back on the word when necessary.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Close but not exactly. I follow the Way who is Jesus and only lean back on the word when necessary.

Jesus is not the Jewish Messiah, he did not fulfill the

What you do with the word of Jesus ia entirely up to you

Hawkins

Christianity is about how a piece of news is broadcast.

If the US government has a crucial message for its citizens, it won't broadcast through a Russan media. It should broadcast through a mass media covering the whole US.

By the same token, if God has a crucial message for humans, it should broadcast through a mass media covering all mankind. Explicitly, the gospel (news) must be preached (broadcast) to all nations. Christianity itself is a mission of human-facing broadcast.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
By the same token, if God has a crucial message for humans, it should broadcast through a mass media covering all mankind. Explicitly, the gospel (news) must be preached (broadcast) to all nations.
The gospel message had been preached to all nations by the mid-19th century...
Now what? You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Betho_br

Nothing better than the angel's words:

Luke 1:30-35 KJV

And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name Jesus. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end. Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Jacob, Joseph's father, upgraded Joseph's two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim, so that they would have the same right as Jacob's own sons to their inheritance (Genesis 48:5). When the number 14 was employed in the genealogy of Jesus in Matthew 1, it signified the restoration of the house of Jacob (includes the sons of Joseph and the daughter of the Priest of Egypt, in clearer language, all metaphysical gentiles).

Or perhaps nothing better than the words of a man who had been blind since birth:

John 9 KJV

And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay, And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing. The neighbours therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this he that sat and begged? Some said, This is he: others said, He is like him: but he said, I am he. Therefore said they unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight. Then said they unto him, Where is he? He said, I know not. They brought to the Pharisees him that aforetime was blind. And it was the sabbath day when Jesus made the clay, and opened his eyes. Then again the Pharisees also asked him how he had received his sight. He said unto them, He put clay upon mine eyes, and I washed, and do see. Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them. They say unto the blind man again, What sayest thou of him, that he hath opened thine eyes? He said, He is a prophet. But the Jews did not believe concerning him, that he had been blind, and received his sight, until they called the parents of him that had received his sight. And they asked them, saying, Is this your son, who ye say was born blind? how then doth he now see? His parents answered them and said, We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind: But by what means he now seeth, we know not; or who hath opened his eyes, we know not: he is of age; ask him: he shall speak for himself. These words spake his parents, because they feared the Jews: for the Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that he was Christ, he should be put out of the synagogue. Therefore said his parents, He is of age; ask him. Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner. He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see. Then said they to him again, What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes? He answered them, I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear it again? will ye also be his disciples? Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples. We know that God spake unto Moses: as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is. The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes. Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. If this man were not of God, he could do nothing. They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us? And they cast him out. Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God? He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him? And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee. And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him. And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind. And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also? Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

In this text, we can enumerate several attributes of Jesus:
  1. Man: He is described as a man who performs "miracles/therapy", such as healing a man born blind.
  2. Master: The disciples address him as "Master."
  3. Sent by God: Jesus refers to himself as sent by the one who sent him to do God's works while it is day.
  4. Light of the World: Jesus claims to be the light of the world, bringing spiritual illumination and healing.
  5. Healer: He performs the "miracle/therapy" of healing the blind man, using a mixture of saliva and clay to anoint his eyes.
  6. Prophet: The blind man, when questioned by the Pharisees, describes Jesus as a prophet.
  7. Obedient to God's Will: Jesus is described as someone who does God's will, performing miracles that demonstrate his divine connection.
  8. Recognized as Coming from God: The blind man argues that if Jesus were not from God, he would not be able to perform such miracles.
  9. Son of God: Jesus reveals himself as the Son of God to the healed man, who then believes and worships him/and venerates him.
  10. Judge: Jesus declares that he has come to judge the world, distinguishing between those who see spiritually and those who remain blind in their sins.

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Christianity is nothing to do with cultural Christians. Christianity according to the Bible is the very few whom have a personal relationship with Jesus for their Salvation and sanctification.
Christianity is based solely on the Bible and never the Roman Catholic versions and revisions. Roman Catholicism mixed pagan traditions with the Christian religion. Christianity is more closer to Protestants than Catholics. Even among fundamentalists there's too many different interpretations of how to interpret the Bible literally.

So basically anyone that identifies with Jesus Christ from the literally interpreted Bible falls under the title of Christianity.

Supposedly Greek and Hebrew original manuscripts are able to be effectively translated to English, and many other languages.

As for Christian nationalists and those that affiliate with the religion for political reasons, they would not be considered true Christians because they only see what suits them from whatever scriptures they have.

Who knows, perhaps the whole English speaking world of Christian affiliates is not to be considered true Christians.

Pawpatrol

How would you define the religion, what are its beliefs, its doctrines, its rules?
The core definition could be that its adherents, while they may recognize some beliefs, doctrines and rules, rarely follow them, believe in them or even acknowledge them.

The worst thing is that they worship a man.

The second worst could be that they don't do even that "right".

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So basically anyone that identifies with Jesus Christ from the literally interpreted Bible falls under the title of Christianity.

Who knows, perhaps the whole English speaking world of Christian affiliates is not to be considered true Christians.
I do not think it matters what people are considered to be by other people.....
Anyone who believes in Jesus is a true Christian, with the exception of Muslims and Baha'is who believe in Jesus but have their own religions.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Thanks ChatGPT

ChatGTP phonetically in french sounds like Cat I Farted

images (15).jpeg

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Define Christianity

The Hammer said:
Thanks ChatGPT

ChatGTP phonetically in french sounds like Cat I Farted

images (15).jpeg
The correct name is "ChatGPT"
1724981783830.png
, not ChatGTP, right, please?:

"Phil Fish on Mastadon says, "life is extra surreal for french speakers right now because in french, phonetically, "chat gpt" sounds exactly like "cat, i farted" (chat, j'ai pété). everywhere, on TV, in the news, people going "cat, i farted" over and over with a straight face. is cat, i farted going to steal your job? how are schools dealing with cat, i farted? lawyer caught using cat, i farted. it's incredible." "
Right?

Regards

Last edited:

Betho_br

Christianity according to the prophets Simeon and Anna.

LUKE 2: 22-40​

Jesus Presented in the Temple​

When the time came for the purification rites required by the Law of Moses, Joseph and Mary took him to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord (as it is written in the Law of the Lord, “Every firstborn male is to be consecrated to the Lord”), and to offer a sacrifice in keeping with what is said in the Law of the Lord: “a pair of doves or two young pigeons.”]

Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was on him. It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord’s Messiah. Moved by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the custom of the Law required, Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying:

“Sovereign Lord, as you have promised,
you may now dismiss[d] your servant in peace.

For my eyes have seen your salvation,
which you have prepared in the sight of all nations:

a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
and the glory of your people Israel.”

The child’s father and mother marveled at what was said about him. Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: “This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too.”

There was also a prophet, Anna, the daughter of Penuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was very old; she had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, and then was a widow until she was eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying. Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem.

When Joseph and Mary had done everything required by the Law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee to their own town of Nazareth. And the child grew and became strong; he was filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was on him.

Simeon:

1. Salvation – Jesus is called the salvation that God has prepared for all people.
  2. Light for Revelation to the Gentiles – Jesus is described as a light that will bring understanding and revelation to non-Jews (Gentiles).
  3. Glory of Israel – Jesus is also seen as the glory of the people of Israel, fulfilling their hopes and prophecies.
  4. Destined to cause the fall and rise of many in Israel – Jesus will bring about significant change in Israel, with some people falling (due to rejection) and others rising (due to acceptance).
  5. A Sign that will be spoken against – Jesus will face opposition and contradiction.
  6. Thoughts of many hearts will be revealed – Through Jesus, the true thoughts and intentions of people will be exposed.
  7. A sword will pierce Mary's soul – This foretells the deep sorrow Mary will experience, possibly referencing Jesus's future suffering and death.

Anna:

1. Redemption of Jerusalem – Anna speaks of Jesus as the one bringing the long-awaited redemption for Jerusalem, symbolizing the messianic deliverance for Israel.

Betho_br

Christianity according to John the Baptist:

1. The Lamb of God Who Takes Away the Sin of the World​

• Text: John 1:29: "The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, 'Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!'"
  • Attribute: John the Baptist identifies Jesus as the "Lamb of God." This is a symbol of the atoning sacrifice for the sins of the world, echoing the idea of the Passover lamb from the Old Testament.

2. The One Who Baptizes with the Holy Spirit​

• Text: John 1:33: "I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.'"
  • Attribute: John contrasts his water baptism with Jesus’ baptism, which would be with the Holy Spirit, highlighting Jesus’ spiritual superiority and transcendent mission.

3. Preexistence of Christ​

• Text: John 1:30: "This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.'"
  • Attribute: John the Baptist acknowledges that although Jesus began His ministry after him, Jesus is eternally prior, underscoring Christ’s divinity and preexistence before His human birth.

4. The One on Whom the Holy Spirit Descends and Remains​

• Text: John 1:32: "Then John gave this testimony: 'I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him.'"
  • Attribute: The Spirit descended upon Jesus in the form of a dove, symbolizing divine anointing. John testifies to this event as a sign that Jesus is God’s chosen one.

5. The One More Powerful than John​

• Text: Matthew 3:11: "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."
  • Attribute: John humbly places himself below Jesus, affirming that Jesus is far more powerful and worthy, emphasizing the glorious and sovereign character of Christ.

6. The One Who Brings Judgment​

• Text: Matthew 3:12: "His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire."
  • Attribute: John describes Jesus as the one who will bring judgment, separating the righteous from the wicked, denoting His role as the final judge.

7. The Son of God​

• Text: John 1:34: "I have seen and I testify that this is God’s Chosen One."
  • Attribute: John the Baptist publicly acknowledges Jesus as the Son of God, a title that affirms Jesus’ divine sonship and intimate relationship with the Father.

8. The Bridegroom​

• Text: John 3:29: "The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete."
  • Attribute: John refers to Jesus as the "Bridegroom," a metaphor describing Jesus’ relationship with His people, the Church, as a spiritual marriage. In this context, John positions himself as the "friend of the bridegroom," recognizing his mission to prepare the way for the relationship between Christ and His followers.

9. The Judge​

• Text: Matthew 3:12: "His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire."
  • Attribute: Jesus is described as the judge who separates the wheat (the righteous) from the chaff (the wicked), highlighting His final role in judgment and the restoration of justice.

The Baptism of Jesus​

At the event of Jesus’ baptism, several passages describe important details that further illustrate Christ’s identity and mission. This event is significant because it confirms John’s prophecies about Jesus and reveals His divine nature.

1. The Presence of the Holy Spirit​

• Text: Matthew 3:16: "As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him."
  • Attribute: The Holy Spirit visibly descends upon Jesus, a heavenly confirmation of His anointing for the messianic mission.

2. The Voice of the Heavenly Father​

• Text: Matthew 3:17: "And a voice from heaven said, 'This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.'"
  • Attribute: The direct declaration from God the Father ratifies Jesus' divinity and God’s favor upon Him, emphasizing that He is God’s chosen and beloved Son.

3. Fulfillment of All Righteousness​

• Text: Matthew 3:15: "Jesus replied, 'Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.' Then John consented."
  • Attribute: Jesus explains that His baptism is necessary to fulfill all righteousness, showing His complete submission to God’s will and His identification with humanity.

Before you accuse me of using the A.I...
João Batista, o angelos de Deus, pregador do Novo Evangelho, o Vivo!
Date: 2017

Last edited: