• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats say the damnedest things.....

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What makes someone a racist for calling someone an "Uncle Tom"? Honestly curious as to the reasoning here.

4consideration

Premium Member
What makes someone a racist for calling someone an "Uncle Tom"? Honestly curious as to the reasoning here.

Here's my reasoning:

I think the use of "Uncle Tom" first creates the impression of the person as being a slave, because that was the character of Uncle Tom. I think it's intended as an insult to the autonomous nature of the person to use such imagery.

I think it's used as a dagger for the specific character assassination of a black man that one does not agree with.

Used today, I think it implies there is only one right way a black man ought to be, and if he is different than that expected way, he's a good target for that particular insult -- implying he's not a man first -- he's black first and a man second.

Ironically, if he doesn't go along with what the majority of people seem to think is what a black man ought to think, it's socially acceptable to in some circles to refer to him as be some passive, master pleaser. Of course, he couldn't have a valid and intelligent reason for seeing things differently, now could he? :sarcastic

Why can't a black man see politics differently and just be thought of as being wrong? Why a label of Uncle Tom?

Is there any term specifically originating and associated with the slave era that a black man should consider a compliment, or not object to, if he were called it -- as a label? I don't think so.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Here's my reasoning:

I think the use of "Uncle Tom" first creates the impression of the person as being a slave, because that was the character of Uncle Tom. I think it's intended as an insult to the autonomous nature of the person to use such imagery.

I think it's used as a dagger for the specific character assassination of a black man that one does not agree with.

Used today, I think it implies there is only one right way a black man ought to be, and if he is different than that expected way, he's a good target for that particular insult -- implying he's not a man first -- he's black first and a man second.

Ironically, if he doesn't go along with what the majority of people seem to think is what a black man ought to think, it's socially acceptable to in some circles to refer to him as be some passive, master pleaser. Of course, he couldn't have a valid and intelligent reason for seeing things differently, now could he? :sarcastic

Why can't a black man see politics differently and just be thought of as being wrong? Why a label of Uncle Tom?

Is there any term specifically originating and associated with the slave era that a black man should consider a compliment, or not object to, if he were called it -- as a label? I don't think so.
I must've given you a frubie recently, cuz I can't now.
So let me just praise you for a post so cogent that I
thought a man wrote it. Yeah, it's that good.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Here's my reasoning:

Interesting line of reasoning, 4con. Worth considering. Thanks!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Here's my reasoning:

This is exactly the way I have understood the term. It is hardly a term of endearment in this day and age. In a very real sense it is a veiled racial epithet and intended as such.

esmith

Veteran Member
I have always associated the term "Uncle Tom" as a black person who agreed with his white owner. We are starting to see the "N" word being used within the African-American community and some of those that use it say it is a "term of endearment". I agree with ESPN's Jason Whitlock, Kareem Abdul Jabar, and more that likely others that find this word offensive. Whitlock's COMMENTARY basically summed it up when he said
"As we moved into the Jay-Z era of hip-hop and the pervasive of the N-word ... they had to come up with a justification and the justificatiion was: 'We've taken the power from this word and made it a term of endearment. It's a stupid justification made by people who are making money by degrading black people."

tytlyf

Not Religious
Wow. Have you ever considered you might be racist? Because your statement certainly is.
Me a racist? Hardly. Please explain how one is a racist when insulting or using a derogatory term towards their own race. Does it make me a racist to call a white person a cracker being that I'm white?

esmith

Veteran Member
Me a racist? Hardly. Please explain how one is a racist when insulting or using a derogatory term towards their own race. Does it make me a racist to call a white person a cracker being that I'm white?

In very simple terms that even you might understand. YES.

Racism and racial discrimination are often used to describe discrimination on an ethnic or cultural basis, independent of whether these differences are described as racial. According to the United Nations convention, there is no distinction between the terms racial discrimination and ethnic discrimination, and superiority based on racial differentiation is scientifically false, morally condemnable, socially unjust and dangerous, and that there is no justification for racial discrimination, in theory or in practice, anywhere.[10]

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Still not seeing it. A white person calling another white person a redneck/cracker isn't racist.
I say it is racist to use such language, but it's far more acceptable within one's own group.
This context sensitive racism is more appropriate for private interactions where it's understood.
But when done publicly, it sends more mixed messages.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I say it is racist to use such language, but it's far more acceptable within one's own group.
This context sensitive racism is more appropriate for private interactions where it's understood.
But when done publicly, it sends more mixed messages.
I'd say bigoted is the more appropriate word. Not racist when dealing within ones own race.

Racist
-a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that a certain human race is superior to any or all others.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Then-Senator Barack Obama, November 12, 2007: “After seven years of an Administration that has stretched our military to the breaking point, ignored deplorable conditions at some VA hospitals, and neglected the planning and preparation necessary to care for our returning heroes, America’s veterans deserve a President who will fight for them not just when it’s easy or convenient, but every hour of every day for the next four years.”

Note: I don't disagree with him. But oh, the irony!

esmith

Veteran Member
Then-Senator Barack Obama, November 12, 2007: “After seven years of an Administration that has stretched our military to the breaking point, ignored deplorable conditions at some VA hospitals, and neglected the planning and preparation necessary to care for our returning heroes, America’s veterans deserve a President who will fight for them not just when it’s easy or convenient, but every hour of every day for the next four years.”

Note: I don't disagree with him. But oh, the irony!

Why the irony? Seems that he has been down this road since then, he should be quite adept at false sincerity by now. Seems that they are really fumbling the ball on this one.

ABC, National Journal: White House fumbling VA scandal « Hot Air

Video: Obama routinely shocked, angered by things happening within his own administration « Hot Air

White House Distorts American Legion Position on Veterans Controversy - ABC News

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Joe Garcia (D, FL)
"....we’ve proved that communism works."

It goes to show that Dems smoke the same locoweed as the likes of Palin.