• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Cheney will vote for Kamala Harris!

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Some of us (or at least one of us that I know of for sure) have been waiting with worms on our tongues (baited breath) to hear your reply to that particular post!
I don't see why you people are so elated to defend neocons and poo poo a progressive journalist. Says all I need to know, though. There's nothing to argue against here as nothing said was incorrect. Anyway, I've said what I wanted to in this thread and the response was all too predictable. No need to see anymore garbage. Y'all have fun with your war criminals. Condi and Dubya will probably be next in line to endorse her, the peanut gallery will erupt in applause again.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some of us (or at least one of us that I know of for sure) have been waiting with worms on our tongues (baited breath) to hear your reply to that particular post!
When I have real internet access again, I’ll re-read the thread to see what all the hubbub is about.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hey, instead of my re-orienting myself, would you ask me questions? This evening I could likely handle that….til my connection fails.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Trump is so awful that even the worst that the Republican Party could come up with 20 years ago can't support him.
Yup. Darth Chaney, a man who literally amd metaphorically has no heart beat, a man who shot a lawyer, the man behind the disaster of the Bush Jr. Presidency, and even he is able to call out someone far worse. The PATRIOT Act is a monstrosity of unconstitutional garbage, but it's not asserting a presidential right to assassinate political opponents.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Hey, instead of my re-orienting myself, would you ask me questions? This evening I could likely handle that….til my connection fails.
Well, first and foremost, do you think an endorsement by Dick Cheney -- or even Liz -- will make the slightest difference in this election? Dick seems to be pretty much universally hated, but I admit to a certain liking for Liz, myself. She's got more spine than most of the men I know, and that's something. And they both seem, at least to me, to have the nation ahead of party in their endoresments this time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, first and foremost, do you think an endorsement by Dick Cheney -- or even Liz -- will make the slightest difference in this election?
Very slight…at best.
Dick seems to be pretty much universally hated, but I admit to a certain liking for Liz, myself. She's got more spine than most of the men I know, and that's something. And they both seem, at least to me, to have the nation ahead of party in their endoresments this time.
You don’t like Dick?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Kind of what I thought, which saddens me a bit.

And now, back to our regular programming...

...I really only knew about Cheney as GW's Veep, and I confess I did not like him then. Far too strident in his right-wing views for me.
I disagree with Cheney on many things, but he’s a stand up guy for refusing Trump’s illegal order to overturn the election. And he’s pro gay marriage.

Ponder This

CNN - Former Vice President Dick Cheney said Friday that he will vote for Democrat Kamala Harris over fellow Republican Donald Trump in the November election, warning that the former president “can never be trusted with power again.”

“In our nation’s 248-year history, there has never been an individual who is a greater threat to our republic than Donald Trump,” Cheney said in a statement. “He tried to steal the last election using lies and violence to keep himself in power after the voters had rejected him. He can never be trusted with power again.”

“As citizens, we each have a duty to put country above partisanship to defend our Constitution. That is why I will be casting my vote for Vice President Kamala Harris,” he concluded.

Of all the ways to interpret this, the one way I don't interpret this is that Dick Cheney had some sort of moral compunction. Has there been a greater threat to the Constitution than the Patriot Act? It is Dick Cheney who can never be trusted with power again, which makes his statement deeply ironic. Can you imagine the audacity for him, of all people, to issue a public statement like that? He has a log to remove from his own eye first. I wonder who is going to hear that endorsement from Cheney and think it's a good idea to support Kamala. Who are the Dick Cheney fans? Who is it that looks at Dick Cheney's time in office and thinks we need more of that! And then hears that statement from Cheney and is swayed to support Kamala? I don't know. A 13% popularity when he left office isn't zero, so presummably there is someone out there who thinks he's great. But I'm wondering if the sort of people who thought he was great in office are also the sort of people that we don't want in the next administration. I don't think the people are interested in having another Guantanamo. The more I think about it, the more I think that Dick Cheney's endorsement of Kamala is political poison that actually hurts her campaign. Who is he bringing into Kamala's fold? And who is he pushing away from it?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Of all the ways to interpret this, the one way I don't interpret this is that Dick Cheney had some sort of moral compunction. Has there been a greater threat to the Constitution than the Patriot Act?
Yes.
It was Trump's attempted coup in 2020.
- Insurrection.
- Fake electors in many states.
- Several dozen bogus lawsuits challenging the election.
- Continued lies about the election being stolen.
- Threats to Secretaries Of State to manufacture needed votes.

The Patriot Act is merely bad law...an over-reach by government.
Trump tried to over-turn government itself.
It is Dick Cheney who can never be trusted with power again, which makes his statement deeply ironic. Can you imagine the audacity for him, of all people, to issue a public statement like that? He has a log to remove from his own eye first. I wonder who is going to hear that endorsement from Cheney and think it's a good idea to support Kamala. Who are the Dick Cheney fans? Who is it that looks at Dick Cheney's time in office and thinks we need more of that! And then hears that statement from Cheney and is swayed to support Kamala? I don't know. A 13% popularity when he left office isn't zero, so presummably there is someone out there who thinks he's great. But I'm wondering if the sort of people who thought he was great in office are also the sort of people that we don't want in the next administration. I don't think the people are interested in having another Guantanamo. The more I think about it, the more I think that Dick Cheney's endorsement of Kamala is political poison that actually hurts her campaign. Who is he bringing into Kamala's fold? And who is he pushing away from it?
I don't like Dick. But this isn't about Dick Cheney
being a paragon of devotion to constitutional
liberty...it's about the man Trump chose as his
VP....who served with Trump....who knows Trump
better than nearly anyone else....who is a fellow
Republican....who upheld the Constitution when
Trump ordered him to commit an illegal act...when
Trump's minions wanted to hang Cheney for this...
...who now prefers the Democratic candidate to Trump.
This is unprecedented. It is to Cheney's credit that
he opposes a dangerous treasonous felonious rapist
becoming President.

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
Of all the ways to interpret this, the one way I don't interpret this is that Dick Cheney had some sort of moral compunction. Has there been a greater threat to the Constitution than the Patriot Act? It is Dick Cheney who can never be trusted with power again, which makes his statement deeply ironic. Can you imagine the audacity for him, of all people, to issue a public statement like that? He has a log to remove from his own eye first. I wonder who is going to hear that endorsement from Cheney and think it's a good idea to support Kamala. Who are the Dick Cheney fans? Who is it that looks at Dick Cheney's time in office and thinks we need more of that! And then hears that statement from Cheney and is swayed to support Kamala? I don't know. A 13% popularity when he left office isn't zero, so presummably there is someone out there who thinks he's great. But I'm wondering if the sort of people who thought he was great in office are also the sort of people that we don't want in the next administration. I don't think the people are interested in having another Guantanamo. The more I think about it, the more I think that Dick Cheney's endorsement of Kamala is political poison that actually hurts her campaign. Who is he bringing into Kamala's fold? And who is he pushing away from it?

I think it's more of a 'when pigs fly' reaction from people who, having lived through the crazed circus of the Trump years and think there's no more room for surprises, find there's always enough room. Who'd a thunk that Dick Cheney would endorse a Democratic candidate?!
It's the novelty thing on the surface, but then if you look at it in the context of today and Trump, not yesterday and GW, maybe some will realize - finally - how deep the Trump danger really goes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think it's more of a 'when pigs fly' reaction from people who, having lived through the crazed circus of the Trump years and think there's no more room for surprises, find there's always enough room. Who'd a thunk that Dick Cheney would endorse a Democratic candidate?!
It's the novelty thing on the surface, but then if you look at it in the context of today and Trump, not yesterday and GW, maybe some will realize - finally - how deep the Trump danger really goes.
Aye, Cheney is a conservative.
(Cons tend to value the Constitution.)
He's not a member of Trump's cult.
Those guys are not conservatives, despite
sharing some conservative values.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Um, here's a question that Trump brought up right at the end of the debate: "Why didn't she do it?" Meaning she's had almost 4 years in office, so why didn't she do all the things she was talking about during the debate.

Well, what did Pence accomplish? What will the VPs signature on a Bill passed by Congress do? Who, among the President & VP is "the decider" as Bush said to Cheney? Anybody remember the Tom Lehrer song about Nixon's VP: "Whatever become of Hubert? Has anyone heard a thing?"

Point being, there is only one President -- and for the past 4 years, Harris has not been it!

Cheney was Bush's VP, and didn't sign the Patriot Act, passed by the House 357 to 66 adn by the Senate 98 to 1. Cheney's vote wasn't even needed in the Senate.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I am shocked how the endorsement from Taylor Swift (who is this person???) means anything.
;)
Since ridding themselves of royalty in 1776, the Americans have been struggling to find some royal pomp and circumstance of their own. (Hell, the White House of JFK and Jackie was frequently likened to Camelot). They have had to settle for entertainer celebrities. She is the focus of wide-spread public interest.