• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Cheney will vote for Kamala Harris!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It's actually a really strong criticism of Kamala to point out what she didn't do and isn't doing, right now. She has responsibility for the border, given to her by Biden,
This is false. Biden did not make her (as Republicans routinely like to spout) "Border Czar." He gave her the responsibility to go the nations from which asylum seekers are coming, find out what are the conditions that are driving them out, and try to find ways to stem that flow.

If there is a "border czar," it’s the Secretary of Homeland Security, Alejandro Mayorkas. He reports to Biden, not to Harris.

I'm always amazed how little some Americans know about what's going on in their own country, make dumb assumptions -- and then trumpet those all over everywhere and vote based on them. Wouldn't it make more sense to actually understand the truth?

she went to Eastern Europe to talk with everyone (except Putin, of course, the one person she almost certainly should've talked to) and the Ukraine War started 3 days later, and even right now, there are things she could do as the VP in the current administration that she not even going to try to do.
Does Putin jump when Harris commands? Do you know whether or not she asked for a meeting, and he didn't grant it?

But if you are trying to blame Harris for a war that happened "3 days later," let me point out that war generally requires a little bit more preparation than 3 days. Do you think it remotely possible that Putin had been working on it for just a wee bit longer? Or does your bias convince you that Harris, and Harris alone, pulled the trigger?

But this thread is really about the effect of the Cheney endorsement of Kamala, and, in terms of that narrow question, I don't think it helped her. It may have hurt her. Cheney was a big part of the Patriot Act, Guantanamo, et al.
I have pointed out previously that Cheney was a VP. He couldn't sign the Patriot Act. It was passed by a huge majority in the House, and 98-1 in the Senate -- and so his vote wasn't even needed (and therefore he did not vote). Oh, and he didn't write the Bill, either and it was introduced into the House by Jim Sensenbrenner. Yes, I can see how it's almost all CHeney's fault. :rolleyes:

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Both candidates will eagerly accept any endorsement from "the other side."

Yes, and it's no surprise that Trump has only a handful of former Democrats who have gone over to his side (including the anti-vaxxer with the brain worm), but Harris has hundreds, many of whom worked in previous administrations and directly for Donald Trump in his administration. The DNC even had featured Republican speakers at the DNC nominating convention.

Here are the Republicans that spoke at the 2024 DNC in Chicago

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is about Dick Cheney. Dick Cheney gave his endorsement. And I think that Kamala should not be so happy about receiving that endorsement.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say it is unprecedented. He's not the first Republican to endorse a Democrat. That's not special.
The VP of a President recognizes that that
President is so dangerous that he'll vote
for the opposition. Tell me when that last
occurred, eh.
As for Dick Cheney's actions in office, I don't regard those as trivial. The sense I get is that people are happy to not have the influence of people such as Dick Cheney on the next administration. Spying on Americans, torture, and shadow government nonsense are exactly the things, I'm glad to say bye-bye to.

On the one hand, I understand your excitement at someone expressing his opposition to Trump, because for many Kamala supporters... hate for Trump is all they really have. They don't have good reasons to support Kamala.
But on the other hand, I think this endorsement isn't good for Kamala. She probably shouldn't have been so eager to accept it.
Pretty much disagree with most of that.

anotherneil

Both he and Liz are still conservative Republicans
I myself am not a conservative Republican, but I do have a bit of common ground with what it professes to stand for & as far as I'm aware, no conservative Republican would ever support someone who's anywhere near the politically radically extreme degree that Kamala Harris is, no matter what.

but they also show they have a conscience.
You and I have drastically different concepts of what a conscience is.

If you want to really see "the swamp" up close, then look in the mirror.:p
Takes one to know one. :hand::microphone:

Pogo

no conservative Republican would ever support someone who's anywhere near the politically radically extreme degree that Kamala Harris is, no matter what.
You might want to reconsider that the conservative Cheneys have found that which matters more than party, as conservatives they wish to conserve the country. They are particularly unhappy with the Trump party's embrace of dictators.

anotherneil

You might want to reconsider that the conservative Cheneys have found that which matters more than party,
I don't think there's any "finding" involved, at all, with Dick Cheney. I think he's had a crony capitalist agenda all along, and this supposed decision to support Kamala Harris is really just a matter of taking action for the sake of his crony capitalist interests.

As far as what matters more than party, I don't think he actually cares about party; to him it was a means to an end for his crony capitalist agenda and interest, but that means - with someone like Trump at the helm, isn't a ship sailing in the direction Dick Cheney wants it to sail in.

hqdefault.jpg

Liz Cheney supposedly used to be a Trump supporter in his early days of directly entering the political ring, but I think that was either a case of keeping her (and her father's) enemies closer

sddefault.jpg

or not realizing that his desire to drain the swamp was (and still is) genuine.

as conservatives they wish to conserve the country.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this; I suppose you mean preserve the country, as in preserve the American way of life - one of freedom, liberty, Bill of Rights, apple pie, etc.

The word "conservative" in the political context generally refers to being opposed to quick & sudden, reckless, irresponsible, or unvetted change - at least that's the way I understand it.

In any case, I don't think either Dick Cheney or Liz Cheney give a damn about preserving the American way of life, except for themselves. They can't care about preserving the American way of life - for all other Americans, by supporting Kamala Harris.

They are particularly unhappy with the Trump party's embrace of dictators.
I think that's a BS excuse for turning their backs to the political party that they supposedly consider dear to them or whatever.

What's really going on that's being portrayed like some sort of vague, spun & distorted Conrad Brean

images

oops, I mean:

p20352_i_h9_aa.jpg

type of a dog-wagging narrative, is probably actually about Donald Trump being a public servant and doing his duty as statesman and diplomat; that's what we're choosing when we vote for POTUS - someone to represent us in matters of international relations.

If you bring up something specific that Donald Trump did that was wrong, you may find that I agree with you. I didn't agree with moving the US embassy from Tel Aviv, Israel, to somewhere that was controversial or contentious (is Netanyahu considered a dictator?).

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Hence, the comment that you need to look in the mirror.
Yes, I do try to make myself a better person. That's why I went from disliking Donald Trump to voting for him - twice.

Are you willing to change? Do you ever try to make yourself a better person?

Oh, no! You used the Republican bizarro carnival mirror to decide what needed to be improved! :screamcat:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I myself am not a conservative Republican, but I do have a bit of common ground with what it professes to stand for & as far as I'm aware, no conservative Republican would ever support someone who's anywhere near the politically radically extreme degree that Kamala Harris is, no matter what.
On the contrary. A conservative with a conscience and love of country, facing a close race where one of two people WILL be elected -- one a monster who will attempt to destroy the very nature of the country, and one who will preserve that nature, even with an agenda not to the conservatives liking -- will throw his support behind the preserver. To withhold one's vote, or to vote for a third party who cannot win, could allow the monster to win. If the decent but lefty party wins, they have only 4 years before you can go back to the fight an try again.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

As far as you're aware? Perhaps that's the problem.

anotherneil

On the contrary. A conservative with a conscience and love of country, facing a close race where one of two people WILL be elected -- one a monster who will attempt to destroy the very nature of the country, and one who will preserve that nature, even with an agenda not to the conservatives liking -- will throw his support behind the preserver. To withhold one's vote, or to vote for a third party who cannot win, could allow the monster to win. If the decent but lefty party wins, they have only 4 years before you can go back to the fight an try again.
I agree with everything you say here, with the exception that it's on the contrary (it's not) & I'd throw out the "lefty" part too.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Yes, and it's no surprise that Trump has only a handful of former Democrats who have gone over to his side (including the anti-vaxxer with the brain worm), but Harris has hundreds, many of whom worked in previous administrations and directly for Donald Trump in his administration. The DNC even had featured Republican speakers at the DNC nominating convention.

Here are the Republicans that spoke at the 2024 DNC in Chicago

Speaking at Trump’s Convention: Former Democrats, a Rancher and Trump Employees The RNC also had several former democrats speak at their convention.