• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Not any more.

And thanks for admitting your defeat (This is rare)

This is such a cop-out to pretend as though you are victorious....Where did I admit defeat?

Was it because I mentioned the historical fact that John's gospel is different that it's predecessors?

Shermana

Heretic
This is such a cop-out to pretend as though you are victorious....Where did I admit defeat?

Was it because I mentioned the historical fact that John's gospel is different that it's predecessors?

One particular difference with John (and a reason why more than one scholar thinks the ending was forged) is that the Disciples meet Jesus at a different place than in Matthew and thus John directly clashes with Matthew. So John 20:28 is suspect. For those who think John 20:28 is an authentic verse, the question is: Where did Jesus meet the Disciples?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
One particular difference with John (and a reason why more than one scholar thinks the ending was forged) is that the Disciples meet Jesus at a different place than in Matthew and thus John directly clashes with Matthew. So John 20:28 is suspect. For those who think John 20:28 is an authentic verse, the question is: Where did Jesus meet the Disciples?

I agree. I have no problem, per se, with John. I was merely conversing with outhouse about how different it is to the other three (where Matt. and Luke drew from Mark) as well as how it tends to read more like a Greek story. I realize this thread is not necessarily the best place to discuss authenticity because to engage in this particular thread you start with the assumption that (God exist, Yeshua existed, and the 4 gospels are as historical as one can get concerning the life of Yeshua).

outhouse

Atheistically
I agree. I have no problem, per se, with John. I was merely conversing with outhouse about how different it is to the other three (where Matt. and Luke drew from Mark) as well as how it tends to read more like a Greek story. I realize this thread is not necessarily the best place to discuss authenticity because to engage in this particular thread you start with the assumption that (God exist, Yeshua existed, and the 4 gospels are as historical as one can get concerning the life of Yeshua).

the wiki link is chocked full of valid history on the subject

Ilike this

In the synoptics, Jesus speaks often about the Kingdom of God; his own divine role is obscured (see Messianic secret). In John, Jesus talks openly about his divine role. He says, for example, that he is the way, the truth, and the life. He echoes Yahweh's own statements with several "I am" declarations that also identify him with symbols of major significance:[74]
  • "the bread of life"[6:35]
  • "the light of the world"[8:12]
  • "the gate of the sheep"[10:7]
  • "the good shepherd"[10:11]
  • "the resurrection and the life"[11:25]
  • "the way, the truth, and the life"[14:6] and
  • "the real vine"[15:1][8]
Critical scholars think that these claims represent the Christian community's faith in Jesus' divine authority but doubt that the historical Jesus actually made these sweeping claims.

[8] Spong argued that the "I Am" statements are in reference to YHWH, and interpreted John 12:44 as meaning that Jesus expressly denied being God

Shermana

Heretic
We've discussed this before, I think when you brought up the diatessaron which proved you wrong.
And as usual you ran away then.

Fine, I may have been wrong on the Diatesseron. What does that have to do with where the Disciples actually meet Jesus?

Shermana

Heretic
It was the same discussion.
Go look for it.

Why don't you just repeat what you said in two sentences or less on why you think the ending of Matthew and John don't clash instead of sending the other person on a wild goose chase to back your own claim for you?

Mark2020

Why don't you just repeat what you said in two sentences or less on why you think the ending of Matthew and John don't clash instead of sending the other person on a wild goose chase to back your own claim for you?
I won't repeat my words.

outhouse

Atheistically
I like this study on john

According to the majority viewpoint for most of the 20th century, Jesus' teaching in John is largely irreconcilable with that found in the Synoptics, and scholars have chosen the version found in the Synoptics as representing the teaching of the historical Jesus

looks like john holds little credibility on what jesus may have ever said

outhouse

Atheistically
awe shucks a few more that find the reality of the pieces

The scholars of the Jesus Seminar identify the historical inferiority of John as foundational to their work.

Geza Vermes discounts all the teaching in John when reconstructing his view of "the authentic gospel of Jesus

Mark2020

I like this study on john

According to the majority viewpoint for most of the 20th century, Jesus' teaching in John is largely irreconcilable with that found in the Synoptics, and scholars have chosen the version found in the Synoptics as representing the teaching of the historical Jesus

looks like john holds little credibility on what jesus may have ever said

awe shucks a few more that find the reality of the pieces

The scholars of the Jesus Seminar identify the historical inferiority of John as foundational to their work.

Geza Vermes discounts all the teaching in John when reconstructing his view of "the authentic gospel of Jesus

:biglaugh:

Last edited:

Mark2020

I know its hillarious.
Nothing is more hilarious in this forum than reading your posts and the way you quote from wikipedia, taking part of a sentence and then adding a full stop in the middle. And the fact that you think you know all the history of the world...