• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say obviously " I am a God" in Gospel?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
This verse doesnt say that he is bringing himself phisically from the dead.
Of course it does! How can you read it any other way. He had the power to raise himself from the dead. It couldn't get much more obvious.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The last sentence strongly implies that this ability wasn't inherent to Jesus, and that he had it given to him by God.
The fact that He was given this ability by God doesn't change the fact that He was able to do what no one else ever had been able to do before or has been able to do since. That ability alone would make Him divine. (Note: I am not implying that He is the same individual as His Father. He isn't.)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Paul disagrees:
Galatians 1:1
Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead

Let's imagine they do disagree.

Who do you think has more biblical authority? Jesus or Paul. ;)

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
I would say absolutely, yes. The fact that he calls himself by the divine name in John 8:58 seals it for me. Anyone who understands the non-negotiable monotheism of Judaism will understand what he was saying.

Further thoughts..

The Jews of Jesus time had a very important scripture called the Shema,from Duet 6:4-9 which says: "Hear O Israel, the LORD our God is one LORD" Even in our time many Jews recite these words twice a day. It is hard to overstate how important this concept is to these people. Jesus would have known full well that any suggestion that he was even remotely of God would be interpreted as blasphemy. They didn't try to stone him for nothing.

Jesus had a chance to further explain/update or reject the shema but he did not. In Mark 12:29 when he was asked what the most important commandment is he says: "...Hear, O Isreal, the Lord our God, the Lord is one." So Jesus himself believed that there is only one God, (or at the very least that the 'parts' of God were in complete harmony.) Everything he said needs to be viewed from this perspective then.

The only 'begotten' son means the only one born of a woman, ie: the only instance of 'god in the flesh'. If the shema is right, and Jesus was bound by jewish law, then he equated himself with god, of which he believed there was only one.

In Matthew 26:64 Jesus directly admitted that he was the 'son' of god. If they were expecting the 'son' of god to be someone other than god, like, say, a carpenters son, then why did they then accuse him of blasphemy? (that instance of the term 'son of god' to those jews simply meant god-in-the-flesh; they only believed in one god remember)

In Luke 4:8 Jesus himself quotes Deut 6:13 which says 'worship the Lord your God and serve him only' - and yet later he allows Thomas to worship him. He also allows a another man to worship him in John 9:38. Remember, he is bound by the Shema.

In Luke 19:44 Jesus is quoted as saying "..they will not leave one stone on another because you did not recognise the time of God's coming to you." I don't think it gets plainer than that.

Another reason some say he had to be god is because whoever was to die in our place had to be both worth more than all of us put together and blameless, obviously - so the contract required someone from adams race, a race he entered into. Hebrews makes it clear he was not an angel in human form.

To the islamic gentleman who started this thread: sir, respectfully I say to you that many christians believe in only one god. They also believe that he was powerful enough to be able to be both fully man and fully god at the same time. Some find it insulting to god to suggest that he would allow himself to be human but we must accept that he invented humans in the first place, and that he fills heaven and earth, even the disgusting parts. Christians generally believe that god's character is such that he would do whatever it takes to save his children, even if that meant simulataneously becoming one of us.

The whole 'praying to himself' thing is not really an issue - it's 'what he would do if he were one of us'. Think about it.

In between Jesus deliberatley keeping his identity largely a secret throughout the gospels and our difficulty in comprehending how god could steer the ship and exist in a human body at the same time, no wonder this is a difficult subject.

Excellent post, absolutely spot on and righteous. Three cheers for a worthy effort rocketman.

Another thought comes to mind when I read your post: God is truly amazing - He reveals Himself through mystery. It's his signature. Few come close to grasping the concept, though.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Let's imagine they do disagree.

Who do you think has more biblical authority? Jesus or Paul. ;)
It’s Paul the Anti-Christ as you all follow him and calls that Christianity....if you even followed Yeshua, then this wouldn't need to be discussed, as we would all be called Peacemakers and therefore "Children of God"......
Just to include the gospel of John Nicodemus/Nicolaitans is also made up by the Pharisees and so claiming you follow Yeshua with any of its texts pertaining, also just shows iniquity.

Sonic247

What about Galations 1,1 as indicated by Darkness.
So it say God raised Jesus from the dead and that Jesus raised himself from the dead, it also say in the Bible the Spirit raised him from the dead. And by the way only God can raise a person from the dead. If there are no contridictions in the Bible then the only answer is that God, Jesus and the spirit are one. And is it so hard to believe God could incarnate himself as a human. God is more gracious then you realize, he didn't stay seperated from our affliction he bore them with us (yet without sin), he doesn't sit in heaven without caring who gets there or not but he came to seek and to save that which was lost.

~Amin~

God is the King
Could you point out where in Luke it says:

"God Almighty doesnt need or want help from anyone."
What i meant is that in the Gospel of Luke it says
the angel of God strengthened Jesus, so lets assume
for a moment he reserected himself, BUT it was God
Almighty who Gave him the ability to do so, is this not
correct according to scripture.

Sonic247

You are still seeing two seprate entities, they are one, even though at times Jesus spoke from a human perspective because he humbled himself.

love

tri-polar optimist
ST. LUKE 22: 53
When I was daily with you in the temple ye stretched forth no hands against me: but this is your hour; and the power of darkness.

moegypt

in Matthew (19: 16-17).

Jesus (PBUH) reject the word "Good".. How can I believe that he is the son of God or God.?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Mat 13:57 And they were offended in him. But Yeshua said unto them, "A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house".

Luk 24:19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Yeshua of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:

Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Yeshua: worship God: for the testimony of Yeshua is the spirit of prophecy.

Christ said he was a Prophet
:angel2:

Popeyesays

Mo,

I don't think it rational at all to consider Christ to be God, He denied it so many times.
As to reminding the fellow that God was the source of all Good, I am sure we could find a Qur'anic verse to say the same thing.

Regards,
Scott

~Amin~

God is the King
You are still seeing two seprate entities, they are one, even though at times Jesus spoke from a human perspective because he humbled himself.
Can you kindly show me were in scripture, in its context it
indicates there one, considering all the verses Jesus, clearly
said he was limited in power, knowledge, ability etc.

Sonic247

Isaiah 9:6- For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Popeyesays

Isaiah 9:6- For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

I would consider that a reference to Baha`u'llah actually, expecially when it's in context

6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, [b] Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and peace
there will be no end.
He will reign on David's throne
and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it
with justice and righteousness
from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the LORD Almighty
will accomplish this.

The original TaNakh says:
9,5 For a child is born unto us, a son is given unto us; and the government is upon his shoulder; and his name is called Pele-joez-el-gibbor-Abi-ad-sar-shalom; 9,6 That the government may be increased, and of peace there be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to establish it, and to uphold it through justice and through righteousness from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts doth perform this. {P}
(Nev'im (Prophets), Yeshayahu (Isaiah))

Some take this to mean the son that was born to the king of Judea at the time of Yeshayahu. The implication being that it was a big "suck up" on the part of the prophet. That particular prince never lived up to the hype.

Regards,
Scott

rocketman

Out there...
in Matthew (19: 16-17).

Jesus (PBUH) reject the word "Good".. How can I believe that he is the son of God or God.?
Read it very carefully. He avoided directly answering the question. He answered with a question of his own. His avoidance of the question is very telling indeed, for he almost had to reveal who he was. Remember at this point he was still hiding his identity.

Then there is the fact that it was a loaded question. You need to understand what this kind of question meant to the Jews of that time.

This might help you get started:
Did Jesus Deny Being Good?

Sonic247

I can see why the JPS translators didn't translate that whole verse. I'll admit I don't know Hebrew, do you?

~Amin~

God is the King

"men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazarene',
a MAN publicly shown by God to you through powerfull
works and portents and signs that GOD DID THROUH him
in your midst, just as you your selfs know. Acts 2,22.
Is this not what the Almighty did with all His prophets?

~Amin~

God is the King
So how can mortal man be
in the right before God,
Or how can one born of a
woman be clean?

Look! There is even the
moon, and it is not
bright;
And the stars themselves
have not proved clean in
His Sight.

How much less so mortal
man, who is a maggot,
And a son of man who is a worm!" JOB 25,4,5,6.