• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disbelievers in Christianity Answer Please!

If you are faced with the miracle described below

• I will certainly believe without any condition

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • I will believe only if, He says Muhammad was a false Prophet, otherwise No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will believe, if He says, Muhammad is a true prophet, otherwise No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, i will not believe, because.......(please explain)

Votes: 28 75.7%

• Total voters

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It would be an observation, thus knowledge, not belief. Belief only applies to ideas that can't be verified as true. So I can't answer your poll since it doesn't offer the only valid option.

If someone actually resurrected dead people that would be impressive.
There is a whole generation of philosophy that understands that knowledge is a justified belief.

But that's aside from this argument, so carry on.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I said: How would you know if it was a God or an advanced alien being? If it was indeed God, how could God convince you of that?
You said: I'm sure a capable omnipotent all powerful being of unlimited infinite power would be more than capable of convincing me on its own.
I said: I agree, and I think that is what has happened to some believers, which is why they are so convinced.

I think you missed my point. My point was that I think God actually convinced those believers, just like you want God to convince you..
I don't want God to convince me. I said a god as people describe it to be , is capable of doing that on its own if it exists of which obviously isn't the case.

What convinces people is clearly the God living inside their own heads. For me , I don't have such low standards of believability , so I'm not that complacent to just have my or others thoughts to do the convincing alone.

I need the real deal unlike others who are happy enough with far less standards required for convincing. I'm not as gullible as I used to be since leaving theism.

F1fan

Veteran Member
There is a whole generation of philosophy that understands that knowledge is a justified belief.
That's not relevant to the opening post's question. We don't see an orange on the table and consider it justified belief.
Knowledge of what? Knowledge that Christ was from God because he raised the dead?
Would you not be impressed if someone brought dead people back to life? Can you imagine the magical powers involved in that?
Why would that be impressive?
Seriously?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That's not relevant to the opening post's question. We don't see an orange on the table and consider it justified belief.
Okay, you're a person who doesn't believe that there's an orange on the table when there's just an orange on the table. Got it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't want God to convince me. I said a god as people describe it to be , is capable of doing that on its own if it exists of which obviously isn't the case.
You do not know that God does not exist or that God has not actually convinced some people that He exists.
You only believe that. That's okay as we all have our own beliefs.
What convinces people is clearly the God living inside their own heads.
You do not know that either, you only believe it.
I need the real deal unlike others who are happy enough with far less standards required for convincing. I'm not as gullible as I used to be since leaving theism.
You said you don't want God to convince you, but now you are saying you would need the real deal. What would the real deal be?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Would you not be impressed if someone brought dead people back to life? Can you imagine the magical powers involved in that?

Seriously?
No, I would not be impressed.
Since I know that dead people don't rise from graves and come alive again I would believe it was some kind of trick , or that I was only seeing an apparition, or that I was losing my mind.

But hypothetically speaking, if someone brought dead people back to life it would not be a big deal, since those people would die eventually as we all so. Nobody can live forever in a physical body. This is why Jesus rising from the dead would have been no big deal if it had happened.

Twilight Hue

You do not know that God does not exist or that God has not actually convinced some people that He exists.
You only believe that. That's okay as we all have our own beliefs.

You do not know that either, you only believe it.

You said you don't want God to convince you, but now you are saying you would need the real deal. What would the real deal be?
No. The reality is there is absolutely no physical God anywhere. People just say God is around when there is no such thing anywhere. It's the reality of the matter and certainly no belief.

This is all in people's heads and imagination and that's the actual fact as it stands right now as it was in the past.

I don't require belief for that hard substantial fact because people simply cannot substantiate what they claim and they obviously never will either.

That fact can be taken to the bank.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No. The reality is there is absolutely no physical God anywhere. People just say God is around when there is no such thing anywhere. It's the reality of the matter and certainly no belief.
That is certainly true. There is no physical God anywhere since God is not a physical being.

Twilight Hue

That is certainly true. There is no physical God anywhere since God is not a physical being.
Many times I say one's own personal God(s) exists in their own mind if they choose to have one. Alive and well as long as the person is alive and well.

Just not out here in the waking world.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I selected no. I would have to rely on more than my observation. I would have to have what you are speculating has happened corroborated beyond my personal experience. I might be having a psychotic episode.

If it turns out to actually be Christ from the NT, then he/it would have a lot of explaining to do. To start, why bother meeting me one-on-one and raising a few relatives when there is a whole lot of other crap going on in the world and has been for a very, very long time.
^^^^ This.

One single event, not witnessed and corroborated by others, not investigated and without time to reflect doesn't wipe out 60 years of experience.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Suppose, He comes down from Sky, and declairs He is Christ!

To prove it, He will take you, to some of your loved ones grave, and resurrects them. Those are grandparents or some close relatives and friends, and you know they had passed away and were in that graves.

Now, please answer the Poll, based on this event.
I picked option 1 assuming it was a public event (him coming down and resurrecting) and not something only I can see (if the latter than I would put myself under psychiatric care).

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Suppose, He comes down from Sky, and declairs He is Christ!

To prove it, He will take you, to some of your loved ones grave, and resurrects them. Those are grandparents or some close relatives and friends, and you know they had passed away and were in that graves.

Now, please answer the Poll, based on this event.
It depends what happens afterwards.

If for example, the next moment I simply wake up and my loved one is still in his grave, then no.

If instead my loved one sticks around and tells me about where he was and remembers everything of his "afterlife" and we have to explain to everyone what happened since everyone who went to the funeral is amazed that this person is back alive and we have to "reactivate" citizenship and everything, then sure.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I voted no i will not believe because it cannot happen.

However should said being resurect the dead i would be taking more notice of zombie movies

MikeF

Premium Member
I think you missed my point. My point was that I think God actually convinced those believers, just like you want God to convince you..

I'm curious why such an entity wouldn't go to the effort of convincing everyone. Given the claims about such entities it should be quite easy. And yet we have a plethora of competing claimed entities and those not convinced of any of it.