• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians and Muslims Worship the Same God?

Maimonides

The mad Neuroscientist
If that question is to me , i don't believe in Gods.But if i did i am sure it would be lord of the universe . i mean why settle for anything less?

It was to the Christian that believes in the 'living god" kai we all know you're an infidel! LOL ;)

Reactions: kai

rukhshanda

no ,muslims worship one God who creates and was not created by anyone.i think that for anyone to be God this charectristic is must.anyone who was once weak and dependent upon others for his growth cant be a god.

Renji

You said it! Not only that, I also deny the apocrypha of the Roman Catholic Church, since those texts do not agree with the whole of Biblical revelation. For this reason, and many others, including their high view of tradition, and Popish decree, on par with or above the Bible, I say the RCC are not Christians either!

Well, thanks to the Catholic Church. Because the Bible you are reading right now wouldn't exist without the RCC. What you so-called "christians" have done is to remove the 7 books and call it an "apocrypha" And also, if there's no RCC, your sect would not exist. All Christian sects are rooted from the Catholic church, whether you deny it or not.

Renji

no ,muslims worship one God who creates and was not created by anyone.i think that for anyone to be God this charectristic is must.anyone who was once weak and dependent upon others for his growth cant be a god.

You would not find a Christian doctrine which state that God is created...

TJ73

My answer to you question Do we worship the same God... If you look at the history I would say it completely supports the fact that we do. When Muhammed (pbuh), revealed the message of the Quran the intention was to bring pagans into monotheism,disbelievers into belief, Jews back to the rememberence of what had been given to them before and Christians into pure monotheism (without ascribing partners to God like saints, clergy and the worship of prophets) and to remove some of the new practices that were slowly finding their way into Gods message. Some accepted, believing God, the same God, had revealed His message again to the promised one spoken of by Jesus(pbuh). Others rejected that Muhommed was a prophet, but didn't necessarily think he was proclaiming to speak for a different God.

J2hapydna

Lets focus on what actually people use to forge the perception of god in their minds eye , thats revelation.

Muslims use the Quran so the descriptions and attributes of their god are taken from there. people perceive their god in their minds eye from the information they have .

Christians base their perception of God on the Gospels . so the decriptions and attributes of their god are taken from their. They perceive their god in their minds eye from the information they have .

These two sources of information with which people "perceive" their God are not compatible. sure you can so "oh that's irrelevant its the same God anyway", but in order to do that you would have to ignore one source of revelation or the other. My question has always been how different can the God in a worshippers minds eye become from a set of scripture till it actually becomes another god ?

How different can the perception of God to a Christian in London worshipping Jesus in a church be, to a Bedouin praying to Allah in Jordan before they no longer have any similar attributes or characteristics and they in fact are no longer worshipping the same god .

Kai, If one is to assume that there is only one God in this world, then by definition, one cannot believe that two people worship two different Gods. The difference is in their understanding/ perception of that one same God.

Last edited:

kai

ragamuffin
Kai, If one is to assume that there is only one God in this world, then by definition, one cannot believe that two people worship two different Gods. The difference is in their understanding/ perception of that one same God.

Sure you can have one god that encompasses any perception but isn't revelation to stop any misunderstanding in your perception? That view in my opinion is a cop out. Its papering over the cracks.

J2hapydna

Sure you can have one god that encompasses any perception but isn't revelation to stop any misunderstanding in your perception? That view in my opinion is a cop out. Its papering over the cracks.

Then, one should not claim there is one God and that would be fine too.

As an Abrahamic monotheist, I believe the differences (in perception) exist because there is dispute on what is scripture. For example, Christians deny the Quran (and pay lip service to OT). Muslims deny the Gospel and OT. Jews deny the Gospel and Quran. This is because, in my opinion, our cultural perceptions skew our understanding of what God would do and say. Human reasoning is imperfect. Pride and tribal intersts sometimes cloud our sense of what is ethnical and expectations of God.

I am sure by now you have realized that I, as an Abrahamite, accept all three scriptures as true.

regards,

bob

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Then, one should not claim there is one God and that would be fine too.

As an Abrahamic monotheist, I believe the differences (in perception) exist because there is dispute on what is scripture. For example, Christians deny the Quran (and pay lip service to OT). Muslims deny the Gospel and OT. Jews deny the Gospel and Quran. This is because, in my opinion, our cultural perceptions skew our understanding of what God would do and say. Human reasoning is imperfect. Pride and tribal intersts sometimes cloud our sense of what is ethnical and expectations of God.

I am sure by now you have realized that I, as an Abrahamite, accept all three scriptures as true.

regards,

bob

Not 'all' Muslims deny the OT or the gospels.

J2hapydna

Not 'all' Muslims deny the OT or the gospels.

Since I believe in all three scriptures, I would be one of those few. However, Orthodox Muslims, in general, pay only lip service to the idea that OT and Gospel are scriptures of God. Most Muslims believe that OT and Gospel have been so corrupted by Jews and Christians, that Muslims do not need to read them or use them in understanding Islam. The number of Muslims who accept the Bible as scripture in Islam is probably less than the number of JWs in christianity (who believe Jesus is not God).

skypilot

"Do Christians and Muslims worship the same God?
No, because most Christians worship a theological ideal of God incarnated in Jesus, as part of a triune God; A monotheists wouldn't worship no other than the One True God.

I imaging the Jews and Muslims would have more respect for each others concept of God, and as both were generated through the linage of Abraham.

sky

Maimonides

The mad Neuroscientist
My answer to you question Do we worship the same God... If you look at the history I would say it completely supports the fact that we do. When Muhammed (pbuh), revealed the message of the Quran the intention was to bring pagans into monotheism,disbelievers into belief, Jews back to the rememberence of what had been given to them before and Christians into pure monotheism (without ascribing partners to God like saints, clergy and the worship of prophets) and to remove some of the new practices that were slowly finding their way into Gods message. Some accepted, believing God, the same God, had revealed His message again to the promised one spoken of by Jesus(pbuh). Others rejected that Muhommed was a prophet, but didn't necessarily think he was proclaiming to speak for a different God.

This is silly......
I speajk fluent Arabic and some Hebrew. Jews have always worship a strict ideology of One God (See Sh'ma Yisrael). When Muhammad came his only contact was with the Jews in his country, not the Jews in Palestine, or the Jews living in Egypt, or the Jews in Ur.

Allah in the Qur'an from what I read stated (and I do not quote from the Qur'an) that there are some righteous Jews and Christians who kept up Allah's commandments. Surely, Muhammad's message wasn't to convert Christians and Jews, but to remind them of their duties to God.

Last edited by a moderator:

kai

ragamuffin
This is silly......
I speajk fluent Arabic and some Hebrew. Jews have always worship a strict ideology of One God (See Sh'ma Yisrael). When Muhammad came his only contact was with the Jews in his country, not the Jews in Palestine, or the Jews living in Egypt, or the Jews in Ur.

Allah in the Qur'an from what I read stated (and I do not quote from the Qur'an) that there are some righteous Jews and Christians who kept up Allah's commandments. Surely, Muhammad's message wasn't to convert Christians and Jews, but to remind them of their duties to God.

I would say the prophets message was to revert Christians and Jews back to Islam which he professed to be the original religion which they had strayed from

Wannabe Yogi

I like what a Great Sufi has to say on this subject.

My heart has adopted every shape; it has become a pasture for a gazelles, and a convent for Christian monks.
A temple for idols, and a pilgrim's Ka'ba, The tables of a Torah, and the pages of a Koran.
I follow the religion of Love; wherever Love's camels turn, there Love is my religion and faith.
-Ibn Arabi

J2hapydna

I would say the prophets message was to revert Christians and Jews back to Islam which he professed to be the original religion which they had strayed from

I agree with you kai. The question is, how closely does Orthodox Islam's idea of what to revert to match what the Prophet was asking Jews and Christians to revert to and how to go about doing this?

kai

ragamuffin
I agree with you kai. The question is, how closely does Orthodox Islam's idea of what to revert to match what the Prophet was asking Jews and Christians to revert to and how to go about doing this?

Depends on whos Orthadox Islam your referring to doesn't it, I mean there's the wahabi or Sufi or Shia etc ,etc. it would need a detailed look into which one is the most similar and then again that would only be an opinion.

Maimonides

The mad Neuroscientist

That makes no sense because in the Qur'an it says "There is no compulsion." Jews has had an older version of commandments (approx. 3,000 years). Again historically Muhammad has had the only contact with Jews in ancient Yathrib. I cannot speak for Christians but that is my understanding from what I've heard from Rabbis I know. Besides in the Qur'an, Allah says that Jews worshipped Ezra as a Son of God when in fact no Jew today would say that Ezra was NOT a son of God. So again, how can a prophet revert a people who he believed had the original scriptures?

kai

ragamuffin
That makes no sense because in the Qur'an it says "There is no compulsion." Jews has had an older version of commandments (approx. 3,000 years). Again historically Muhammad has had the only contact with Jews in ancient Yathrib. I cannot speak for Christians but that is my understanding from what I've heard from Rabbis I know. Besides in the Qur'an, Allah says that Jews worshipped Ezra as a Son of God when in fact no Jew today would say that Ezra was NOT a son of God. So again, how can a prophet revert a people who he believed had the original scriptures?

They didn't have the original scripture that what the revelation to the prophet is all about they had strayed! the Torah and injeel were deemed to be corrupted.