• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians and Muslims Worship the Same God?

dallas1125

Covert Operative
well God tells people how he should be worshipped. the Quran for example is the unalterable word of God . it lays out quite clearly what God wants and needs from us.

The Torah does the same.

A persons perception of his God is moulded by the religious documents he refers to ----no

Gotcha, but I dont find the different perception on god to determine whether its the same god. The source for me is enough.

Different christian denominations view god in different ways. Does that meant they all believe in a different god or the christian god?

kai

ragamuffin
Gotcha, but I dont find the different perception on god to determine whether its the same god. The source for me is enough.

which source?

Different christian denominations view god in different ways. Does that meant they all believe in a different god or the christian god?

Depends how far their perception has strayed doesnt it? if your perception of god becomes so different to say, mine that it no longer resembles mine,doesnt have the same attributes or wants or expects the same things then its not mine.

If all that difference doesn't matter and its all the same God anyway then there's no need for revelation to steer us to the right path.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
In the case of differing Christian denominations, the revelation is the same, but the interpretation is different, and yet some groups still have differing views of god. So, in that case, what good is revelation if it's understood differently?

dallas1125

Covert Operative
Depends how far their perception has strayed doesnt it? if your perception of god becomes so different to say, mine that it no longer resembles mine,doesnt have the same attributes or wants or expects the same things then its not mine.
True.

If all that difference doesn't matter and its all the same God anyway then there's no need for revelation to steer us to the right path.
I wanna say I agree with this but Im going to think on it for a bit.

dallas1125

Covert Operative
In the case of differing Christian denominations, the revelation is the same, but the interpretation is different, and yet some groups still have differing views of god. So, in that case, what good is revelation if it's understood differently?
Not all the revelation is the same. You have us LDS with the book of mormon and other revelations other christian churches dont have.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Not all the revelation is the same. You have us LDS with the book of mormon and other revelations other christian churches dont have.

That's true, and in the case of the LDS, I can understand. But what of other groups that are 'sola scriptura'? There are even differing views there.

dallas1125

Covert Operative
That's true, and in the case of the LDS, I can understand. But what of other groups that are 'sola scriptura'? There are even differing views there.
True but I think that is separate from this.

What I meant by comparing the christian and Islamic gods is that they are both from the abrahamic faith. In that way they are the same. In the characteristics and ideology they are different.

To show this I tried using the LDS and other christians.

The LDS and Christians both believe in Jesus, but the characteristics and ideology are different.

Is the Islamic god the same as the Christian?
Is the LDS Jesus the same as the Christian Jesus?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala

What I meant by comparing the christian and Islamic gods is that they are both from the abrahamic faith. In that way they are the same. In the characteristics and ideology they are different.

The LDS and Christians both believe in Jesus, but the characteristics and ideology are different.

Yeah, I understood that part. But it made me wonder, if revelation is the source of our knowledge of god, then what good is it if we have conflicting scriptures claiming to be revelation? If reason cannot be used as a guide, then belief in revelation is purely subjective, and we are no closer than we could ever be to solving the problem. That's the reason why I like to believe that "god-language" is only just that, and that god is not something personal and imminent, but the underlying reality that we must act in order to transcend to. Whether one calls it God, Allah, Brahma, Tao, Nirvana, it's all the same idea. The only difference is our language about it and how we relate to it. That's why the idea of the Trinity to me is something mystical, and not to be understood in a literal way.

dallas1125

Covert Operative
Yeah, I understood that part. But it made me wonder, if revelation is the source of our knowledge of god, then what good is it if we have conflicting scriptures claiming to be revelation?
I have some theories on it but its just some speculation and not at all tested.
If reason cannot be used as a guide, then belief in revelation is purely subjective, and we are no closer than we could ever be to solving the problem.
Agreed
That's the reason why I like to believe that "god-language" is only just that, and that god is not something personal and imminent, but the underlying reality that we must act in order to transcend to.
I think god can be something personal and imminent but he isnt all the time. I also believe in acting to transcend.
Whether one calls it God, Allah, Brahma, Tao, Nirvana, it's all the same idea.
Yes it is.
The only difference is our language about it and how we relate to it. That's why the idea of the Trinity to me is something mystical, and not to be understood in a literal way.
Agreed.

kai

ragamuffin

You mean they both claim Abraham as their own, i mean no one can possibly know what Abraham believed or didnt believe.

you would have to list the attributes of Jesus in Christian denominations to see how much they differ . The point is in Islam Jesus is a man and wasn't crucified.

dallas1125

Covert Operative
You mean they both claim Abraham as their own, i mean no one can possibly know what Abraham believed or didnt believe.

you would have to list the attributes of Jesus in Christian denominations to see how much they differ . The point is in Islam Jesus is a man and wasn't crucified.
The source is the same, the ideology is not so much.

Christians (From what I know) view the Jewish god in a different way.
Muslims view the Jewish god in a different way. Everyone believes in a different view.

Every ideology is unique but none serve the same god; (not even inside christian denominations) but the god they view is still the bible god to them.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Every ideology is unique but none serve the same god; (not even inside christian denominations) but the god they view is still the bible god to them.
Forgive my intrusion, but is this supposed to be a rational thought? Aside from possible difficulties in semantics, how on Earth would you know, to say for sure? It might be helpful if you simply admitted that you are dealing with assumptions... and not terribly well thought out assumptions at that. Mormons especially should be aware that by giving any credibility to Islamic theology serves to undermine their own theology. Talk about the path to hell being paved with good intentions....

Last edited:

dallas1125

Covert Operative
Forgive my intrusion, but is this supposed to be a rational thought? Aside from possible difficulties in semantics, how on Earth would you know, to say for sure? It might be helpful if you simply admitted that you are dealing with assumptions... and not terribly well thought out assumptions at that. Mormons especially should be aware that by giving any credibility to Islamic theology serves to undermine their own theology. Talk about the path to hell being paved with good intentions....
Everything in life deals with assumptions. How am I given any credibility to Islam? All I am saying is that all religions are equal.

kai

ragamuffin
Everything in life deals with assumptions. How am I given any credibility to Islam?
All I am saying is that all religions are equal.

They are to an atheist. but not to a believer ,only their own religion is the true path, theirs is the true revelation, and theirs is the path to paradise or redemption. all others are false or corrupted.

dallas1125

Covert Operative
They are to an atheist. but not to a believer ,only their own religion is the true path, theirs is the true revelation, and theirs is the path to paradise or redemption. all others are false or corrupted.
I dont think my religion is the only true path, there could be many others. I just believe my church to be one of the tools God uses.

kai

ragamuffin
I dont think my religion is the only true path, there could be many others. I just believe my church to be one of the tools God uses.

Then you have your very own perception of God because the Muslim God amongst others ,does not allow you that leeway.

kai

ragamuffin
They dont allow me that, true. My own perception lets me view it that way.

That's right! to you your God allows you that, but to them their god doesnt and he has told them so .

so lets hope your god/gods are the real ones otherwise you burn in hell (well thats the theory anyway)

dallas1125

Covert Operative
That's right! to you your God allows you that, but to them their god doesnt and he has told them so .

so lets hope your god/gods are the real ones otherwise you burn in hell (well thats the theory anyway)
Yes, religion is such an interesting thing isnt it? I really do hope my view of religion is correct but thats the goal aint it?