• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians and Muslims Worship the Same God?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Then you have your very own perception of God because the Muslim God amongst others ,does not allow you that leeway.

Actually, the modern interpretation doesn't. The Qur'an is explicit in the idea that all monotheists will go to paradise.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Actually, the modern interpretation doesn't. The Qur'an is explicit in the idea that all monotheists will go to paradise.
Given that it is all up to Allah, the merciful (*giggle*), and that no religion, save Islam, is acceptable to Allah, it doesn't exactly bode well.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Given that it is all up to Allah, the merciful (*giggle*), and that no religion, save Islam, is acceptable to Allah, it doesn't exactly bode well.

That's one thing I never quite understood about the Qur'an. It says that Islam is the only religion that Allah accepts, but it also says that all monotheists, especially "People of the Book" will be rewarded by Allah in paradise.

kai

ragamuffin

The Prophet said "Whoever dies while still invoking anything other than Allah as a rival to Allah, will enter Hell (Fire)." And I said, "Whoever dies without invoking anything as a rival to Allah, will enter Paradise." - Sahih Bukhari Volume 6, Book 60, Number 24.

A-ManESL

They are to an atheist. but not to a believer ,only their own religion is the true path, theirs is the true revelation, and theirs is the path to paradise or redemption. all others are false or corrupted.

This is incorrect my friend. See this article, for example. I quote from it:
Thus Maulana discusses this in his Tarjuman al-Qur’an under the title “Qur’an ka perwan-e- mazahib se mutalibah (Qur’an’s demand from followers of religions) and goes on to say that Qur’an did not demand from followers of any religion to accept this new religion (i.e. Islam) but demands from every group (following any other religion) that they follow their respective religion in its original shape which has been distorted by them. If you did that (i.e. followed your religion in its original shape you will find that it is Islam to which I am calling you.

Now are you saying people like Shah Waliullah and Nizamuddin Awliya and Maulana Azad are not Muslims? Just so you know they are held in high esteem by millions of Muslims across South Asia.

Regards

kai

ragamuffin
This is incorrect my friend. See this article, for example. I quote from it:

Now are you saying people like Shah Waliullah and Nizamuddin Awliya and Maulana Azad are not Muslims? Just so you know they are held in high esteem by millions of Muslims across South Asia.

Regards

I am not even talking about schisms between Muslims, but different religions altogether like Christians.

and Allah will only accept Islam as the true religion and its Allah's choice who enters Paradise.

Debunker

No, we don't! :)
The God christians worship is three gods merged into one God, but we worship One God who has no children, no parents, nor any partner, and nothing like Him.

This is a misunderstanding that Muslims have. Christians who follow the Bible believe in one God who is explained by pointing out three aspects of God so man can better comprehend what God is to man. From the beginning God was and still is the great is. To man, god's creation, He is a heavenly Father. He reasons with His creation through Spirit and provided a model in Jesus Christ of what man should strive to be. This is what Christians believe but know this, there is only one God.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
My question is this- can a god viewed as having such different natures still be the same god? Jews and Muslims usually view god as beyond understanding, one whole person, no persons in a godhead, a punishing and just god who does not love everyone. Christians on the other hand view god as being persons, some even believe the persons of the Trinity have some type of spirit body, and they believe god is all loving and accepts human sacrifice for sin. Jews and Muslims normally do not believe this. I don't see how these can be the same gods.

Debunker

With all due respect stephen, YOU do not get to redefine two thousand years of Christian history.
Jews, Christians, or Muslims do not get to define God. In the Torah God is dabar. Dabar is used to mean over 2000 different qualities of God in the Old Testament,not because the word does not mean God but God is so vast in what He is, there are not enough definitions in this world to exhaust the meaning of God. That is why God said to Moses,"I am." We keep trying to create a meaning of what God is but ultimately man has always come short in defining God. That is the reason God gave us Jesus Christ so man could see what God wanted man to think about God.

Debunker

That was great Stephen, but may I know why do you think that knowing Him would make you greater than Him?! And how do you worship and love Him if you really know nothing about Him?

You ask a very good question! What do you personally know about God that motivates you to worship God? I am trying to learn about Islam. Please enlighten me.

Debunker

I would say a minority, i don't how much exactly though.

I guess its complicated for the bigger number of christians because it can also be described in a different way. Meaning that it could be said that its not exactly another god, but rather the same god but with a crucial difference. I mean the similarities are much, and the stories attached to both are also similar in some occasions. But of course there is an obvious and crucial difference between the God that most christians worship and that that Muslims worship.
When God told Moses to have no other gods what God was saying was for Moses to have no other definition of God other than the definition God gave to Moses. the secret is not to ask whether we all worship the same God but to ask the question of who worships the God that really is.

Debunker

My view is that everyone does this all the time regarding everything.
I must do some work!
It's been fun :D

Our view of God should ever be changing because the never changing God continually reveals Himself to us. I personally think He reveals Himself through Jesus Christ. But regardless whiter you be Jew or Muslim, how can you be a receiver of God's revelation to man unless you allow God to enlarge His image to you? No dogma should shape you but the growing picture of what God is, should shape a new dogma daily.Christianity does teach that Jesus walks with us and directs our paths, does it not? If we already knew it all, we would not need a living God to worship. dogma would be enough.

Debunker

Thanks Lawrence, I think it's my turn :)
I'll cite what Allah (swt) 'The God Muslims worship' says about Himself in the holy Qur'an....

Allah (swt) has no father, no son, no partners, and nothing is comparable to Him.
In the name of Allah the most Gracious, the most Merciful
[112:1] Say (O Muhammad (peace be upon him)) "He is Allah, (the) One.
[112:2] "Allah-us-Samad (allah The Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, (He neither eats nor drinks))
[112:3] "He begets not, nor was He begotten."
[112:4] "And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him."

Allah (swt) doesn't sleep, doesn't rest in the seventh day of creation.

[2:255] Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber, nor sleep overtake Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter. And they will never compass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Kursî extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great.

Allah (swt) is the creator who preserves His creatures.

[39:62] Allah is the Creator of all things, and He is the Wakîl (Trustee, Disposer of affairs, Guardian) over all things.

[39:63] To Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth....

[11:6] And no moving (living) creature is there on earth but its provision is due from Allah. And He knows its dwelling place and its deposit (in the uterus, grave). All is in a Clear Book (Al-Lauh Al-Mahfûz - the Book of Decrees with Allâh).

There is one and only God, there is no partner with Him

[23:91] No son (or offspring) did Allah beget, nor is there any ilah (god) along with Him; (if there had been many gods), then each god would have taken away what he had created, and some would have tried to overcome others! Glorified is Allah above all that they attribute to Him!

[21:22] Had there been therein (in the heavens and the earth) alihah (gods) besides Allah, then verily both would have been ruined. Glorified is Allah, the Lord of the Throne, (High is He) above all that (evil) they associate with Him!

[13:16] Say (O Muhammad (peace be upon him)) "Who is the Lord of the heavens and the earth?" Say: "(It is) Allah." Say: "Have you then taken (for worship) Auliya' (protectors) other than Him, such as have no power either for benefit or for harm to themselves?" Say: "Is the blind equal to the one who sees? Or darkness equal to light? Or do they assign to Allah partners who created the like of His creation, so that the creation (which they made and His creation) seemed alike to them." Say: "Allah is the Creator of all things; He is the One, the Irresistible."

Allah (swt) is not a moon God, a star, or the sun as some non-muslims believe!

[6:75] Thus did we show Ibrahîm (Abraham) the kingdom of the heavens and the earth that he be one of those who have Faith with certainty.
[6:76] When the night covered him over with darkness he (peace be upon him) a star. He said: "This is my lord." But when it set, he said: "I like not those that set."
[6:77] When he saw the moon rising up, he said: "This is my lord." But when it set, he said: "Unless my Lord guides me, I shall surely be among the people who went astray."
[6:78] When he saw the sun rising up, he said: "This is my lord. This is greater." But when it set, he said: "O my people! I am indeed free from all that you join as partners (in worship with Allah).
[6:79] Verily, I have turned my face towards Him Who has created the heavens and the earth Hanîfa, (Islâmic Monotheism, i.e. worshipping none but Allah Alone), and I am not of Al-Mushrikûn (see V.2:105)".

Allah (swt) has 99 names and attributes.

[59:22] He is Allah, besides Whom there is Lâ ilâha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He) the All-Knower of the unseen and the seen. He is the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
[59:23] He is Allah besides Whom Lâ ilâha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He) the King, the Holy, the One Free from all defects, the Giver of security, the Watcher over His creatures, the All-Mighty, the Compeller, the Supreme. Glory be to Allah! (High is He) above all that they associate as partners with Him.
[59:24] He is Allah, the Creator, the Inventor of all things, the Bestower of forms. To Him belong the Best Names. All that is in the heavens and the earth glorify Him. And He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.

Finally that's what Allah (swt) says about prophet Jesus and his mother PBUT!

[4:171] "The Messiah 'Isâ (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), was (no more than) a Messenger of Allah and His Word, ("Be!" - and he was) which He bestowed on Maryam (Mary) and a spirit (Rûh) created by Him; so believe in Allah and His Messengers. Say not: "Three (trinity)!" Cease! (it is) better for you. For Allah is (the only) One Ilâh (God), Glory be to Him (Far Exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And Allah is All-Sufficient as a Disposer of affairs."

I think this is enough!

Now tell me, do you believe that Mulims and Christians worship the same God?

And sorry for that very long post, I tried to shorten it as I could! :eek:

You offer a very good view of what God Muslims workup. If all this be true, by your own obsevation and confession, the god Muslims worship is not the God that Christians and Jews worship.Here is your confession:"Allah (swt) has 99 names and attributes." This statement says you define an eternal God in a 99 finate attributes. Why does your definition of God so limit God to your .view of what God is? Mohammad can not be the only person to have known God. Mohammad can not be the final word as to what God is. And, the Quran can not be proven to be factually true if it is limited in its explanation of God. How can Muslims trust the Quran when its basic premises are false? Does reason play part in authenticity of the Quran or not? How dare anybgody or book to limit God to 99 attibutes!

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I don't see how these can be the same gods.
On the surface, one would have to agree with you.

The thing is, God never changed, different people just look at the same God differently. They look at God so differently that it becomes almost possible for it to be a different God.

Christianity has made this worse. Jesus is not God, Jesus is the Son of God. The trinity is what has caused all this confusion. Jesus never spoke of the trinity, Paul did.

Paul never met Jesus, (during his lifetime). Christians are taking the word of a man and his minions over what Jesus actually said himself.

If Paul lied, the trinity is a lie.

Now, before anyone gets upset here, I just want to say that I have in the past and I may be wrong about this now. I don't feel superior or want to preach any dogma. Everything I have said in this post is purely my opinion.

Last edited:

J2hapydna

I am not even talking about schisms between Muslims, but different religions altogether like Christians.

and Allah will only accept Islam as the true religion and its Allah's choice who enters Paradise.

He is not talking about schisms between Muslims either. Perhaps you could read the article, before commenting on it?

Thus Qur’an says, “And abuse not those whom they call upon besides Allah (i.e. worship others besides Allah) lest, exceeding the limits, they abuse Allah through ignorance. Thus to every people have We made their deeds fair-seeming; to their Lord is their return so He will inform them of what they did.” (6:109)
This is very clear statement by Qur’an that do not abuse each other or try to prove each other’s beliefs and doctrines wrong as Allah has made for each people their deeds fair-seeming to them i.e. every people think their doctrines and their deeds are best and hence do not quarrel about them and leave it to Allah who will decide on the Day of Judgment about their beliefs and deeds.

A-ManESL

Lol!

If you will bother to read the article I linked, it is precisely referring to different religions altogether like Islam, Christianity and Hinduism.

Regards

kai

ragamuffin
He is not talking about schisms between Muslims either. Perhaps you could read the article, before commenting on it?

Thus Qur’an says, “And abuse not those whom they call upon besides Allah (i.e. worship others besides Allah) lest, exceeding the limits, they abuse Allah through ignorance. Thus to every people have We made their deeds fair-seeming; to their Lord is their return so He will inform them of what they did.” (6:109)
This is very clear statement by Qur’an that do not abuse each other or try to prove each other’s beliefs and doctrines wrong as Allah has made for each people their deeds fair-seeming to them i.e. every people think their doctrines and their deeds are best and hence do not quarrel about them and leave it to Allah who will decide on the Day of Judgment about their beliefs and deeds.

Lol!

If you will bother to read the article I linked, it is precisely referring to different religions altogether like Islam, Christianity and Hinduism.

Regards

lol indeed! This is not universal Islamic thinking! Is it your decision who has exceeded the limits or Allahs? I am talking about people that don't submit by choice not ignorance. yes it can refer to Christians and Hindus but not those that have rejected submission, only those that are unaware of it.

"But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (Muhammad, peace be upon him) as a judge in all disputes between them, and find no resistance against your decisions, and accept (the decisions) with full submission." [Holy Quran 4:65]

"It is not fitting for the believing man nor for the believing woman, that whenever Allah and His Messenger have decided any matter, that they should have any other opinion."

and

There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his messenger.

Last edited: