• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians really overly persecute homosexuals?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
As a Christian and a libertarian, I don't waste my time and energy lobbying against the private lives of consenting adults. I have my own opinions and beliefs but as long as someone isn't asking me to subsidize their lifestyle choices I keep them to myself and try live a life that supports the innate dignity of each and every human, regardless of their flaws. Lord knows I have my own flaws.

I'll leave the judgment part to God.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
To be truthful, I don't recall any preacher in any Church where I was attending even mentioning homosexuality at all. That's not to say that none do, but never when I was there.

I haven't either, but then the preacher at my family's church is rather liberal for Presbyterianism, from what I hear. (I've never been to another Presbyterian church.)

I know if I ever heard a preacher do so I'd never feel comfortable to return.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I have to say I don't personally remembering any sermons that attacked homosexuality, or even mentioned it (as in being in churches that I've personally attended).

But Reverend Rick does make a good point. It does happen, and it isn't pretty. I've seen a couple of such sermons on video, and they are just horrible. But I would say that happens in a small number of churches. Fred Phelps comes to mind. But then even his home town basically hates him.

Jeremiah

I think Manoffaith hit it on the head.

For me, I'm just sick of hearing about how bad homosexuals have it because Christians are screwing them over every chance they get. I have nothing wrong with homosexuals, but I have little compassion for them as a whole because of that portion that continually cries homophobia and persecution.

linwood- I agree with what you're saying. That minority of Christians does have a political voice. However, I don't know, at least in the United States, if I would say it is too strong anymore. Or at least I would say that there power is declining quite swiftly. Homosexuals are nearly free to do everything that a heterosexual is allowed to do.

I'm not saying that it is right that they don't enjoy every freedom that heterosexuals do, but it's a long cry from being openly persecuted.

I am sorry that you think we are just a bunch of cry babies, but I don't really care if you are sick of hearing it. I am sick of the whole ball of wax, but I am not stopping, because this is important to me. I don't want the next generation to grow up dealing with what I had to. My aims have little to do with marriage rights; I just don't want the youth of tomorrow to grow-up in the darkness I did. The Abrahamic religions have been the epicenter of sexual prejudice for too long. This has to stop; not just for the sake of homosexuals but also for the sake of Christianity, as well.

Last edited:

Misty

I am sorry that you think we are just a bunch of cry babies, but I don't really care if you are sick of hearing it. I am sick of the whole ball of wax, but I am not stopping, because this is important to me. I don't want the next generation to grow up dealing with what I had to. My aims have little to do with marriage rights; I just don't want the youth of tomorrow to grow-up in the darkness I did. The Abrahamic religions have been the epicenter of sexual prejudice for too long. This has to stop; not just for the sake of homosexuals but also for the sake of Christianity, as well.

Good post:yes:

Smoke

Done here.
For me, I'm just sick of hearing about how bad homosexuals have it because Christians are screwing them over every chance they get. I have nothing wrong with homosexuals, but I have little compassion for them as a whole because of that portion that continually cries homophobia and persecution.
You seem to be profoundly ignorant of the facts. The fact that we don't have equal rights under the law in this country is just scratching the surface. There are still countries where homosexuality is a capital crime. In almost every country, including the U.S., anti-gay hate crimes are very common -- and I'm not talking about hate speech, I'm talking about crimes. Anti-gay violence is something every gay person has to be aware of. You constantly have to be aware of your situation, try to judge if you're safe. Gay people get beaten every day, and killed more often than you'd think. Gay people have to worry about getting fired, even losing their homes, because of the bigotry and hatred that's fostered and exacerbated by the churches.

So, you've got no compassion? Good to know where you stand. **** you.

Smoke

Done here.

Amen.

I really have no use at all for these people who say, "I'm so sick of hearing homosexuals whine about how rough they have it." (They almost always say "homosexuals.") Gay and transgender people do have it rough. The suicide rates for our youth are tragically high, and every preacher and every homophobe is partly responsible for driving those young people to such a state of hopelessness. If they're tired of hearing us "whine," maybe they should help work for equality so we won't have anything to "whine" about.

The kicker is, these idiots have equal rights, and they've got nothing better to do than whine about gay people wanting the same rights.

Duck

I think Manoffaith hit it on the head.

linwood- I agree with what you're saying. That minority of Christians does have a political voice. However, I don't know, at least in the United States, if I would say it is too strong anymore. Or at least I would say that there power is declining quite swiftly. Homosexuals are nearly free to do everything that a heterosexual is allowed to do.

I'm not saying that it is right that they don't enjoy every freedom that heterosexuals do, but it's a long cry from being openly persecuted.

Tell you what. I will stop claiming that I am a persecuted minority right after I can serve openly in the military. You know, to be able to use the correct PRONOUN when talking about how my date went over the weekend with a civilian. I will stop claiming to be a persecuted minority after I can marry the adult person of my choice. I will stop claiming to be a persecuted minority after I am NO LONGER A MEMBER OF A PERSECUTED MINORITY. Much, if not ALL of that persecution is due (in the United States) to Christians, or some variant thereof (LDS, RCC, SBC etc).

Duck

I would agree that is one example of persecution of homosexuals. I'm not trying to say that there is no persecution of homosexuals. I'm aware that there is some persecution of homosexuals. However, I do not believe it is to the point that some make it out to be.

The fact that they can't get married is wrong. I think part of that though is because Christians don't want to destroy the "sanctity" of marriage. Personally, I think that is a joke, as the idea that marriage is holy anymore is hardly taken seriously by many people. But I think that is what it boils down to. And now we are seeing people to be somewhat more open to some type of union between homosexuals. It is taking some time, but old habits die hard. We are seeing progress though. Persecution, in many regards, is dwindling to basically the same level that others feel.

I just think the whole ordeal is being blown out of proportion. I've heard various homosexuals relate themselves to the black struggle we saw a few decades ago. With the way some homosexuals whine about how much they are persecuted, or that Christians are saying that they are sinning, that something much more devious would be going on. I just don't think that is the case.

When you can be fired in more than half of the states in the US simply because you go to church, then we can perhaps discuss persecution on more equal terms. Until such happens, enjoy your majority privilege.

When lawyers present the "christian panic defense" as a valid defense in a murder or assault trial where you were the victim, then we will talk.

When prosecutors present, and judges and juries agree, that a life sentence is not adequate because you will be able to attend chapel while in prison, and be surrounded by other religious people, then we will talk about persecution on more equal terms.

When people are beaten to death in the street because they were thought to be chrisitans, then perhaps we can talk about persecution on more equal terms.

Until then, Shut your bigot mouth about persecution {ETA}: of LGBT people.

Last edited:

Nerthus

Wanderlust
Anti-gay violence is something every gay person has to be aware of. You constantly have to be aware of your situation, try to judge if you're safe. Gay people get beaten every day, and killed more often than you'd think. Gay people have to worry about getting fired, even losing their homes, because of the bigotry and hatred that's fostered and exacerbated by the churches.

Absolutely.

Falling blood -
Yes, it's a big issue within Christianity as well as other religions - and it is because gay people continue to be persecuted and treated worse than straight people.

I have friends who can't come out at work because they know they will be fired - not considering that he is good at his job, but because who he is attracted to is considered wrong and disgusting.

Other groups of course find it difficult too, not only people who are gay. But, unless you go through what many gay people do - you cannot sit there and say they are overreacted and need to stop complaining about being persecuted.

Duck

Amen.

I really have no use at all for these people who say, "I'm so sick of hearing homosexuals whine about how rough they have it." (They almost always say "homosexuals.") Gay and transgender people do have it rough. The suicide rates for our youth are tragically high, and every preacher and every homophobe is partly responsible for driving those young people to such a state of hopelessness. If they're tired of hearing us "whine," maybe they should help work for equality so we won't have anything to "whine" about.

The kicker is, these idiots have equal rights, and they've got nothing better to do than whine about gay people wanting the same rights.

Not to mention that a large percentage (can't remember if it is 40% or 60%) of youth living on the streets identify as LGBT and are living on the streets either because they ran away because they feared the reaction of their no doubt "loving" christian parents, or because their "loving" christian parents THREW them out because they were LGBT. Yet another thing that we as LGBT are probably just "whining" about, hmmm?

ETA: its 42% of homeless youth are LGBT, despite the fact that LBGT people make up less than 10% of the population (3-5% according to the report cited). 26% of the gay male teens who come out to their parents are thrown out of the house.

So again, just whining? Isn't that right Falling Blood? nearly half of the homeless youth on the streets are LGBT, but us homos are just a bunch of whiners.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I keep hearing about how horrible Christians are for persecuting homosexuals. That Christians hate homosexuals, and that Christians view homosexuals as abominations. However, is that really the case?

I believe that it is only a minority of Christians who view homosexuals as abominations. I would admit that many do believe that homosexuality is a sin, but that is far from being an abomination.
I think that it is hard to deny that the major religions today are heavily involved in public debates about homosexuality and social rights, discrimination is ongoing in Christian society, Buddhist societies in Asia, and Hindu society in India, some cases are more severe such as in the case of the laws against homosexuality in most Muslim nations, other cases are subject to debate and change in law, for example in India, many Hindu intellectuals promot civil rights for the Indian LGBT community, and in 2009 the Delhi high court removed the colonial British laws against homosexuality in the country.
Israel is one of the only nations in its expanded region in which homosexuality is not illegal, and is by far the nation with the most advanced rights for the LGBT community, Israel also happens to be the most secular nation in the region.

that being said, I think that homophobia and discrimination run deeper than religious sentiments, it can be deeply culturaly rooted as well, or different in case to case basis.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I was a little confused at the OP - "overly" persecuted? Meaning that it is apparently OK to persecute queers just a little bit in order to assuage their personal sentiments?

But if the question was simply if Christians persecute homosexuals, my answer is a resounding and unfortunate yes.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Christianity not only teaches that homosexuality is wrong, but that any sex outside of marriage between one man and one woman is wrong. But we don't hear about that because people from one political party can't score as many points with that.
Or perhaps because the vast majority of self-identified "Christians" do it.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I was a little confused at the OP - "overly" persecuted? Meaning that it is apparently OK to persecute queers just a little bit in order to assuage their personal sentiments?

But if the question was simply if Christians persecute homosexuals, my answer is a resounding and unfortunate yes.

Oh didn't you know, people can persecute homosexuals a little, but there's a limit as to how much :rolleyes:

I was confused the same, it really does sound like the OP wanted to see whether Christians persecute them just a little too much.

Duck

I think that it is hard to deny that the major religions today are heavily involved in public debates about homosexuality and social rights, discrimination is ongoing in Christian society, Buddhist societies in Asia, and Hindu society in India, some cases are more severe such as in the case of the laws against homosexuality in most Muslim nations, other cases are subject to debate and change in law, for example in India, many Hindu intellectuals promot civil rights for the Indian LGBT community, and in 2009 the Delhi high court removed the colonial British laws against homosexuality in the country.
Israel is one of the only nations in its expanded region in which homosexuality is not illegal, and is by far the nation with the most advanced rights for the LGBT community, Israel also happens to be the most secular nation in the region.

that being said, I think that homophobia and discrimination run deeper than religious sentiments, it can be deeply culturaly rooted as well, or different in case to case basis.

I agree that homophobia may run deeper than religious sentiment, but it I think is largely fueled by religious sentiment. Secular nations generally are more LGBT friendly, beyond action from the occasional religious nutjob, how much anti-lgbt violence or rhetoric comes out of, say, Sweden? Or Israel? Denmark? I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that anti-lgbt violence and laws strongly correlate with religiousness, and probably most strongly with the younger of the two Abrahamic religions.