• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Jews say grace?

rosends

Can I just jump in to get some info?

In Judaism, there are blessings said before and ones said after. Which are you referring to when you say "grace"? Also, there are varying levels of specificity when it comes to blessings before a certain food and a different range on what is said after various foods.

And finally, Pharisaic Judaism endorsed a system of blessings before and after many different foods. If you are looking for a set of food-blessing rules which are sourced only in the written text, you won't really find much detail.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Is there a Scriptural command to say anything blessing at all on bread?

In the New testament there is not.
Only the didache gives the words to use during the eucharist. And that does not equate the bread with the body of Christ.
But likening the scattering of grain over the hills to grow and be gathered to gether to make bread.
As people are scattered and will be gathered together in the Kingdom of God.

It was much later that the concept of the body and blood of Jesus was incorporated in the bible.

Tumah

Veteran Member
In the New testament there is not.
Only the didache gives the words to use during the eucharist. And that does not equate the bread with the body of Christ.
But likening the scattering of grain over the hills to grow and be gathered to gether to make bread.
As people are scattered and will be gathered together in the Kingdom of God.

It was much later that the concept of the body and blood of Jesus was incorporated in the bible.
I don't think you were following the flow of that conversation otherwise you'd realize your response has nothing to do with what I asked.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Is there a Scriptural command to say anything blessing at all on bread?

You say there is a biblical command to say grace whenever there is bread with a meal. But does it tell you what words to use? Would a simple thanks suffice or does it have to be the blessing which you quoted "blessed are those who bring bread from the land".

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
You say there is a biblical command to say grace whenever there is bread with a meal. But does it tell you what words to use? Would a simple thanks suffice or does it have to be the blessing which you quoted "blessed are those who bring bread from the land".
Why did you change "Blessed are You..." to "Blessed are those..."?

rosends

Bad memory. carries about the same meaning though doesnt it?
Not really. If we say that God is one, and is the one who brings about bread then that is "are you" since we address God in prayer. Saying that we bless other people not only takes the power away from God but it changes the entire nature of the prayer.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Not really. If we say that God is one, and is the one who brings about bread then that is "are you" since we address God in prayer. Saying that we bless other people not only takes the power away from God but it changes the entire nature of the prayer.

I got the impression that they meant blessed are you who brings bread from the earth as they were talking about farmers. But it does sound much better that they are talking about God. So when Jesus gave thanks to God at the Last Supper that was pretty much the Jewish custom and scriptural command?

james dixon

Premium Member
As a bystander passing by; The title for this header confuses me

Do Jews say grace?

.,.,.then I realized that you would have to be a “Jew” to answer the question.

I am not; therefor I excuse myself from this discussion.

Bye. May you and yours live long and prosper. :)-

For this reason, I leave this discussion.

james dixon

Premium Member
Do Jews say grace?

As a bystander; I am not a “Jew”. Therefore, I do not belong here.

May you and yours live long.,.,.,.,.,.,

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.And prosper

Bye :)-

james dixon

Premium Member
3 This will confuse the Christian out of you but your Jesus is of no importance to Jewish customs and the Religion as a whole

Google "spitting on Christians"
Now post how many hits you got.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

just a suggestion.,,.,:)-

Tumah

Veteran Member

Deut. 8:9-10 "a land [in]which - not with scarcity shall you eat bread... and you shall eat, and you shall be sated, and you shall bless G-d your G-d for the good land that He gave you."

Grandliseur

I'm curious about the tradition of saying grace, and whether this started with Jesus or before Jesus. And what does saying grace mean to Jews.
Jesus did. So, perhaps at that time, it was a custom.

I know some Jews who are very devout and try to do what the OT and their tradition tells them to do. But, perhaps a Jew will answer your question.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Deut. 8:9-10 "a land [in]which - not with scarcity shall you eat bread... and you shall eat, and you shall be sated, and you shall bless G-d your G-d for the good land that He gave you."

It seems a bit peculiar that God would make such a big deal out of bread, except maybe there is some sort of symbolic meaning to it.