• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Jews say grace?

Flankerl

I was answering the question asking why we do it as we do, was it torah or rabbinic
instruction and well in its simplest form its traditions, ie daily activity as i grew up from
my ancestors .....

But the horse... Tevye... was it 6 or 12 years old... :(

Was just trying to make a joke. :(

Kemosloby

Premium Member
How and why Jews say grace has already been explained to you.

There seem to be different opinions. The scriptural command is not so plain. You could even interpret it to mean several things, or even the same thing on several levels. For instance it ties saying grace to inhabiting the land. That when you are full and satisfied not to forget the Lord. So the Jewish symbolism seems to tie saying grace after the meal as remembering the Lord even after you are satisified in the Land God gave you. Not only remembering God when you are hungry and want something from God.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
There seem to be different opinions. The scriptural command is not so plain. You could even interpret it to mean several things, or even the same thing on several levels. For instance it ties saying grace to inhabiting the land. That when you are full and satisfied not to forget the Lord. So the Jewish symbolism seems to tie saying grace after the meal as remembering the Lord even after you are satisified in the Land God gave you. Not only remembering God when you are hungry and want something from God.
What did you expect? We're Jews; arguing and finding different ways of looking at things is what we do.

And it isn't "Jewish symbolism". You are actually thanking God.
Nothing symbolic about it.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Of course they do. Grace is about thanking God, Jesus kinda enters the picture sometimes, but yea... One of the early posters gave this link.
Blessings for Food & Drink | My Jewish Learning

Christians sometimes celebrate Passover Seder around Easter. When they did, the bread and wine prayers I definitely recognize.

Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu melekh ha’olam borei p’ri hagafen.

No, Im not. I'm trying to prove my intuition about saying Grace. When people sit down and start giving thanks for everything under the sun I believe that is wrong. The scriptural way, to give thanks for bread is the correct way.

I'm sorry, what was that?!? You just managed to troll Christians and Jews in the same sentence.

You are thanking God for the food you're eating. Maybe you've never been poor, but some of us know what it's like worrying about the next meal.

Last edited:

GoodbyeDave

I'm curious about the tradition of saying grace, and whether this started with Jesus or before Jesus.
Tonight, before dinner, I prayed and asked the gods to bless my food and wine. So did millions of Chinese, Indians, and Japanese. You don't have to be a Christian or a Jew to do that.