• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Muslims and Jews worship the same God?

I would say they believe in the same God. Muhammed talked to Jewish phoilosophers before beacoming reveared. He took a lot of lessions from them.
The Muslim and Jewish God both have the same personality, distant, but all-powerful and vengful. there are many similarities between them which leads me to think they are the same.

J2hapydna

Yeah yeah perhaps i am even worse.

Again the law speaks about idolatery and that is what the name implies. Worshipping idols.

The restriction on idolatry is just one negative law among seven Noachide laws. According to Judaism, obeying these seven Noachide laws is a way for gentile nations to worship the God of Abraham. This is all that Judaism requires of gentiles to have their place in the after life. Judah and the Northern tribes of Israel were always fighting each other in the old days. Just think of it as life in the good old days. I am not saying the pals are right and the Zionists wrong. Just stop complaining all the time.

Last edited:

Rakhel

So I see Flankerl and Rakhel now have nothing to say regarding their accusations against me.
I have been gone all day, my apologies for not asking your permission to leave the computer.

Sheesh. I do have a life out side this forum.

And no I have no intention of apologizing for telling you how I view your posts. If you don't want honesty, let me know ahead of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I have been gone all day, my apologies for not asking your permission to leave the computer.

Sheesh. I do have a life out side this forum.

And no I have no intention of tell you how I view your posts. If you don't want honesty, let me know ahead of time.
There is no excuse for that. You shall be fined one million frubals. I don't even give myself permission to leave the computer, so an exception can't be made for you.

Rakhel

There is no excuse for that. You shall be fined one million frubals. I don't even give myself permission to leave the computer, so an exception can't be made for you.
But...but...but... do you know how long it will take me to pay off one million frubals? I can only give one out at a time. That would take me............................
Let see............................. 10 frubies in one 24-hour period times 100,000 is........................................:sad4: I hate math!!!!!!

Harmonious

As for my opinion regarding the OP's question, I would say that Jews and Muslims share a similar idea about who or what God is.

There are many laws we keep that are similar.

Are they the same? They are not the same religion.

They are similar enough that Jews have no problem praying in a mosque, assuming we were permitted therein to pray, and we faced Jerusalem.

Are our respective ideas about God enough to say that we believe in the same God? I really don't know.

While the concept of what Islam consists of brings it closer to being a Noachide religion if the Muslims live the life of peace the religion of peace is supposed to adhere to, proper Noachides are non-Jews who believe in God the same way that Jews do.

Muslims are not precisely that, but I would say that our belief systems have far more in common than might otherwise be believed by others.

That still begs the question of the OP. The answer I have is: I don't know.

(Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.)

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
But...but...but... do you know how long it will take me to pay off one million frubals? I can only give one out at a time. That would take me............................
Let see............................. 10 frubies in one 24-hour period times 100,000 is........................................:sad4: I hate math!!!!!!
I didn't know math would be involved, so all is forgiven.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Since we've already tackled the Christians and Muslims debate, and most Muslim answers say no, because Christians believe God became a man and has persons in a Trinity. Jews do not believe this, however. They believe that God is a pure spirit, beyond human definition, and that the only things people can know for certain about God is what the Torah tells us about God.

This leads us to the question- Do Jews and Muslims have the same God?

Well, there is only one God, so by definition, pretty much anyone who says they worship God means that one.

But in a less broad sense, the answer is still yes. What the Muslims believe God has taught them is not compatible with Judaism for practice by Jews, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with its practice by non-Jews. Clearly they worship the same God. They even have similar names, similar rituals, similar prayer habits, and so forth, as Jews do.

While Jews are forbidden to pray in the houses of worship of other religions, even churches, we are permitted to pray in mosques, although not as part of an organized Muslim service, or using Muslim liturgy. And Muslims will respect Jewish commandments to the degree of (for example) being willing to eat kosher meat if halal meat is not readily available. It seems unlikely that if either thought that the other were truly worshipping false gods, the above could yet be true.

I personally have never for an instant doubted that Muslims worship the One God, who is the same Creator we Jews worship. That has always seemed crystal clear to me.

kai

ragamuffin
Well, there is only one God, so by definition, pretty much anyone who says they worship God means that one.

But in a less broad sense, the answer is still yes. What the Muslims believe God has taught them is not compatible with Judaism for practice by Jews, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with its practice by non-Jews. Clearly they worship the same God. They even have similar names, similar rituals, similar prayer habits, and so forth, as Jews do.

While Jews are forbidden to pray in the houses of worship of other religions, even churches, we are permitted to pray in mosques, although not as part of an organized Muslim service, or using Muslim liturgy. And Muslims will respect Jewish commandments to the degree of (for example) being willing to eat kosher meat if halal meat is not readily available. It seems unlikely that if either thought that the other were truly worshipping false gods, the above could yet be true.

I personally have never for an instant doubted that Muslims worship the One God, who is the same Creator we Jews worship. That has always seemed crystal clear to me.

Very interesting Levite so is the only stumbling block the fact that you don't believe your God sent the Quran to Mohammed?

Levite

Higher and Higher
Very interesting Levite so is the only stumbling block the fact that you don't believe your God sent the Quran to Mohammed?

It's hard to say. I would certainly presume that the concept in the Quran that it is somehow a "purer" or more original kind of Torah, and that God wishes it to take the place of the Covenant of Sinai and the Torah we Jews have is not "correct" in the sense of actually meaning that Jews should become Muslims. I would not consider the Quran to be sacred scripture for myself or other Jews, but I respect it as such for Muslims.

The idea that Muhammad was a prophet to his people, in that some sort of divine revelation may have inspired him to bring those of his community and its environs to a monotheistic, dedicated worship of the One Creator...who can say that this could not be so? Just as we Jews believe that Torah and the commandments were intended only for the Jewish People, we also believe that God may well have other covenants, other relationships, with other nations, and have ways for them that they learn to do what is right in His eyes and be just to others. I cannot imagine why Islam could not or would not be that for Arabs, and for whomever saw fit to take it upon themselves from the Arabs.

kai

ragamuffin
It's hard to say. I would certainly presume that the concept in the Quran that it is somehow a "purer" or more original kind of Torah, and that God wishes it to take the place of the Covenant of Sinai and the Torah we Jews have is not "correct" in the sense of actually meaning that Jews should become Muslims. I would not consider the Quran to be sacred scripture for myself or other Jews, but I respect it as such for Muslims.

The idea that Muhammad was a prophet to his people, in that some sort of divine revelation may have inspired him to bring those of his community and its environs to a monotheistic, dedicated worship of the One Creator...who can say that this could not be so? Just as we Jews believe that Torah and the commandments were intended only for the Jewish People, we also believe that God may well have other covenants, other relationships, with other nations, and have ways for them that they learn to do what is right in His eyes and be just to others. I cannot imagine why Islam could not or would not be that for Arabs, and for whomever saw fit to take it upon themselves from the Arabs.

The problem is though Mohammed was not a prophet to "his" people but to the world and all people not just Arabs. so whatever revelation God may or may not have sent to Mohammed ,would it be true to say according to Jews ,it wasn't for Jews ?

J2hapydna

As for my opinion regarding the OP's question, I would say that Jews and Muslims share a similar idea about who or what God is.

There are many laws we keep that are similar.

Are they the same? They are not the same religion.

They are similar enough that Jews have no problem praying in a mosque, assuming we were permitted therein to pray, and we faced Jerusalem.

Are our respective ideas about God enough to say that we believe in the same God? I really don't know.

While the concept of what Islam consists of brings it closer to being a Noachide religion if the Muslims live the life of peace the religion of peace is supposed to adhere to, proper Noachides are non-Jews who believe in God the same way that Jews do.

Muslims are not precisely that, but I would say that our belief systems have far more in common than might otherwise be believed by others.

That still begs the question of the OP. The answer I have is: I don't know.

(Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.)

That is fair. As a hypothetical, let me ask, if Jews or Muslims believe in the existence of one all powerful god, then theoretically, how can Muslims and Jews claim the other nation worships another invisble and all powerful god? I think it would be better to say, these two nations worship the same god (since each nation believes there is just one invisible, all powerful god), but have a different understanding of what this one invisilbe and all powerful god has said, done and wants us to do.

I think it would be fine for Jews to say that if Muhammad told Muslims to abandon the Torah and replace it with the Quran, then he was a mad man who misled his followers about the nature of their god. I say this because, infact, it is not clear Muhammad insisted the Torah be abandoned by Muslims. There have been Sunni Muslim scholars, from the earliest days who have held that the Bible is scripture.

regards,

Last edited:

J2hapydna

The problem is though Mohammed was not a prophet to "his" people but to the world and all people not just Arabs. so whatever revelation God may or may not have sent to Mohammed ,would it be true to say according to Jews ,it wasn't for Jews?

Kai, The Quran states that all nations have their own ideas of God and what is fair and unfair, because God has designed it this way. Therefore, it is not the duty of Muslims to abuse or force others to convert or change their minds. Muslims are suppose to discuss religious issues with respect with people of other reigions, so we can come to a better understanding of God's design.

I think what many people find confusing is the distncition between how Muhammad took (what appears to be) a very harsh attitude in converting his own clan, the Quraysh from their pagan ways and how the message of Islam is suppose to be delivered peacefully to other nations. Why did Muhammd employ these harsh methods with his tribes? As I have shared before, the Quraysh and the Arab tribes in general had a history of going back and forth between Hanifism and paganism. Muhammad essentially fought off paganism and restored the ways of the Arab Hanif when he established Islam. It was a kind of civil war in which Hanifism won. Since non Arab nations do not have a Hanif movement within them that needs to be restored, the same methods cannot work with non Arabs. As I have discussed before, the Arab tribes are also very closely related to the Jewish Cohanim. So, it is possible that this one invisible god business that was believed by the Jews may have touched the ancestors of some of these Arabs and was in conflict with with paganism of other Arabs, before Islam. Muhammad was simply bringing the Arabs back to where the Hanif among them. To the Arabs what Muhammad did seemed fair in the context of what they believed. What the radical Muslims do not understand is that they cannot do the same to other nations, to whom it does not seem fair because the non arabs do not share a Hanif history with them.

Last edited:

kai

ragamuffin
Kai, The Quran states that all nations have their own ideas of God and what is fair and unfair, because God has designed it this way. Therefore, it is not the duty of Muslims to abuse or force others to convert or change their minds. Muslims are suppose to discuss religious issues with respect with people of other reigions, so we can come to a better understanding of God's design.

I think what many people find confusing is the distncition between how Muhammad took a very harsh attitude in converting his own clan, the Quraysh from their pagan ways and how the message of Islam is suppose to be delivered peacefully to other nations. To the Arabs what Muhammad did to them seems fair (since this is how they did things). What the radicals Arabs do not understand is that they cannot do the same to other nations, to whom it does not seem fair.

As I have shared before, the Quraysh and the Arab tribes in general had a history of going back and forth between Hanifism and paganism. Muhammad essentially fought off paganism and restored the ways of the Arab Hanif when he established Islam. It was a kind of civil war in which Hanifism won. Since non Arab nations do not have a Hanif movement within them that needs to be restored, the same methods cannot work with non Arabs. As I have discussed before, the Arab tribes are also very closely related to the Jewish Cohanim. So, obviously this one invisible god business that was believed by the Jews had touched these Arabs before Islam. Muhammad was simply bringing them back to where the Hanif among them had been before.

Hi thanks for your answer but i was looking for a Jewish perspective on the prophet and his revelation , like is it at all relevant to them from their point of view?

Harmonious

That is fair. As a hypothetical, let me ask, if Jews or Muslims believe in the existence of one all powerful god, then theoretically, how can Muslims and Jews claim the other nation worships another invisble and all powerful god? I think it would be better to say, these two nations worship the same god (since each nation believes there is just one invisible, all powerful god), but have a different understanding of what this one invisilbe and all powerful god has said, done and wants us to do.
I imagine you are right. Levite posted after I did, and when I read what he said, that made a lot of sense to me.

My original thought was no less valid, but I recognize the merit of his statement.

As is often the case, when he says things, I usually conclude that he is right, and said it better than I could.

I think it would be fine for Jews to say that if Muhammad told Muslims to abandon the Torah and replace it with the Quran, then he was a mad man who misled his followers about the nature of their god. I say this because, infact, it is not clear Muhammad insisted the Torah be abandoned by Muslims. There have been Sunni Muslim scholars, from the earliest days who have held that the Bible is scripture.

regards,
Well stated.

Even if we do believe in the same God, Muslims are under no obligation to follow the Torah. Even though many of the things they do is comparable, and that is not only a good thing, it is a major basis for understanding, they are no further obligated to keep the full complement of commandments than any other non-Jew.

They aren't, and they never were.

Harmonious

Hi thanks for your answer but i was looking for a Jewish perspective on the prophet and his revelation , like is it at all relevant to them from their point of view?
Oh. That's what you were looking for.

While Islam has brought a lot of quasi-Jewish practices to light for a non-Jewish following, I would say that no, Muhammad and the Quran are not particularly relevant to Jews except as references to understand what Muslims believe.

But the underpinning theology Jews and Muslims share are similar enough that we could share space to pray, even though not while using it at the same service.

The declaration of God's Oneness multiple times a day, multiple recitations of formulated prayer daily (though private insertions are always welcome), the concept of Tum'a and Tahara, dietary laws, modesty in dress (particularly of women), and many other things draw Jewish and Muslim practices closer together than other comparative religions (besides Noachides, which is the Torah-sponsored non-Jewish version of Judaism).

Harmonious

The problem is though Mohammed was not a prophet to "his" people but to the world and all people not just Arabs. so whatever revelation God may or may not have sent to Mohammed ,would it be true to say according to Jews ,it wasn't for Jews ?
Yup. :yes:

Flankerl

But Levite dont you see a huge difference between the g*d of judaism and the g*d of islam?
Why should i consider that they believe in the same g*d like we do when some basic logic tells me otherwise?

Iam sorry but why should g*d a being without time change his opinion of something while he already knew it was going to happen before he set the first rules?

Its like iam forbidding someone to cross the street while i already know that he/she will cross the street without a doubt after which i'll completely change my mind about it.

It just makes no sense to me.

Of course muslims are free to believe whatever they want if they let others have their own beliefs.