• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do the Jews, Christians and Muslims worship the same God....?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
And is theologically speaking Christianity and Islam sects of Judaism?

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. Recently, during the course of a debate elsewhere these two propositions have been asserted as factual statements:

1. Jews, Christians and Muslims worship the same God
2. Theologically, Christianity and Islam are sects of Judaism

I am interested in the views of others, especially Jews, Christians and Muslims on whether they agree with either one or both of the propositions, and if not why not?

I will say no because. How do you worship God if you don't know God? And according to Jesus, the only way to know God the Father is to know the Son. So if you reject the Son as the Son of God, and image of God, then you cannot worship God since you do not know God. Make sense?

Servant_of_the_One1

We dont worship the same god as christians, and neither as jews.
Because Christians says their god is jesus whom we believe was only a servant of Allah.

And the jews says that their god version only loves Jews, so we dont believe in such god that loves jews only.

However we believe the God of Moses and Jesus is the same God of Muhammad and Abraham.

arthra

Baha'i
I am interested in the views of others, especially Jews, Christians and Muslims on whether they agree with either one or both of the propositions, and if not why not?

Baha'is have the view that there is only one God and that the great religions have the same spiritual origin....

"....men have always been taught and led by the Prophets of God. The Prophets of God are the Mediators of God. All the Prophets and Messengers have come from One Holy Spirit and bear the Message of God, fitted to the age in which they appear. The One Light is in them and they are One with each other. But the Eternal does not become phenomenal; neither can the phenomenal become Eternal."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 24

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Christianity and Islam evolved from Judaism, but they are not Judaism. Nevertheless... the religions of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism all worship YHVH.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pastek

Sunni muslim
However, if it is a term, then it can adopted by Arab Christians to worship God, yes? Does this happen

The word "Allah" existed before Islam. So yes christians use it.

From the arabic Bible :

Genesis 1.1

فِي الْبَدْءِ خَلَقَ اللهُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالارْضَ

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Genesis 1 :: Arabic/English Online Bible

(You can see the word "Allah" in my picture profile too.)

Here a christian song from a lebanese singer (om = mother) :

If they worship the same God, why do they have different religions.
Because there is one God, there should be one religion. At one time, there was one religion, it was Judaism. Now, there are numerous competing religions. I got it, God changed His personality and divided into many gods to make people happy. I knew there was a simple answer.

Because people lived in different periods and had different trials.
From a muslim point of view it can be understood as a way to differenciate the belivers from the others, to see which one is truly following God or to help the believers to stay strong in their faith.

So for us all come from God, God is the same even if the laws may be different.

5.43 But how is it that they come to you for judgement while they have the Torah, in which is the judgement of Allah ? *
5.44 (...) The prophets who submitted [to Allah ] judged by it for the Jews, as did the rabbis and scholars (...)
And whoever does not judge by what Allah has revealed - then it is those who are the disbelievers.

* (a group of people who came to him whishing he gives an other Law about a judgement but he judged them according to their own Book)

And let the People of the Gospel judge by what Allah has revealed therein. And whoever does not judge by what Allah has revealed - then it is those who are the defiantly disobedient.

And We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], the Book in truth, confirming that which preceded it of the Scripture and as a criterion over it. (...)

To each of you We prescribed a law and a method. Had Allah willed, He would have made you one nation [united in religion], but [He intended] to test you in what He has given you; so race to [all that is] good. To Allah is your return all together, and He will [then] inform you concerning that over which you used to differ.

In general muslims view christians are God's believers.
They are seen as a same group the trinitarians and the others all together. (in general)
But if we really look at it, of course those who believe Jesus to be God are not trully monotheists.
If muslims and christians must join together to pray God then it may be difficult.
Yet they are considerated to be People of the Book even if they believe so.

1AOA1

And is theologically speaking Christianity and Islam sects of Judaism?

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. Recently, during the course of a debate elsewhere these two propositions have been asserted as factual statements:

If they partake in the same life then they have the same fruits.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As I said above: They are worshiping the Father, rejecting or not recognizing the Son.

If the father is the son and can only be defined by the son, theyx eed to believee ans understand the son to know the father. If they dont acknowedge the divinity of the son, how can they worship the father if their interpretation of the father does not involve the son?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
A Catholic cannot worship like a protestant and believe like a protestant and remain a catholic. The same God is approached and envisioned in different ways based on different traditions and revelations, however the underlying sameness of the referrent is not denied by this. Look at what I have posted.

When Catholics, Episcopelians and many other Protestant denominations agree that the same God is being worshipped by both, they form the majority and mainstream, not the minority voices in fundamentalist evangelical groups.

Catholics
Nostra aetate
The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

Anglicans:-
St John's Roslyn - A Beginner's Guide to the Anglican Church
1: What do Christians Believe?
There are two important parts to Christian belief. Firstly, Christians believe in a God who is an all-powerful intelligent being, existing independently of the physical Universe, and responsible for its creation. We also believe that God cares deeply about the Universe and all of its inhabitants.

This belief is common to many major religions. Jews, Muslims and Christians all worship the same God, in different ways.

Secondly, Christians believe that Jesus of Nazareth (c. 6 BC to AD 27) was a manifestation of God on Earth as a human, and that His teaching as recorded in the Bible is therefore a direct insight into God's wishes for humanity.

Listen to the lecture and decide for yourself.

I dont understand how this relates to Muslims. Christians (i didnt say catholics but all christians catholics included) define god by his son. The creator Described by Muhammad is not the same as the son because Muhammad is not one with the father.

So you are telling me"Muslims" can worship the god "of christianity" and christians (regardlessnthe denomination) can worship the god of Islam?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
If the father is the son and can only be defined by the son, theyx eed to believee ans understand the son to know the father. If they dont acknowedge the divinity of the son, how can they worship the father if their interpretation of the father does not involve the son?
The Father is not the Son. They are distinct Persons, although consubstantial.

Saheim

No. It is quite the challenge to find two people who worship the same God, as a matter of fact.

"God" is far too personal an idea for that to be easily achievable.

WOW, I'm not sure if everybody will understand how much you actually said in so few words.

VERY thought provoking post.

As for the God of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity, I look at it in a pretty simple way - YES, we all worship the same God, Christians just add one and Jews just deny a couple of our prophets.

Before I reverted (years ago), a Christian was telling me, "Muslims do NOT worship the same God as us". So I asked him, "Really? How many Gods do you think there are? Does their God know your God? Are they friends?" My point was pretty simple - if you believe there is ONE Creator, then EVERYBODY who is worshiping the Creator is worshiping the same being REGARDLESS of how different the attributes they assign to Him are.

As for the different attributes, that goes back to the post I quoted - one's understanding of and relationship with God is so personal that it is doubtful ANY of us view Him the "Same"

Flankerl

Jesus too is being accepted as an important prophetic figure in his own right among the Jewish scholarship

SOURCES OR RETRACT YOUR STATEMENT

Neither Orthodox, Liberal, Conservative, Mizrahi or Sephardi Jews accept a "Jesus" as a prophetic figure.

christianity is a sect of judaism.

I wasn't aware that we are in the early 1st century of the common era and that the Temple still stands. Cool news though.

Like modern science is a cult of religion

Ah my head begins to hurt again...

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Depend what you mean ?

If you mean label/name : I think it's "no" in general.

If you meant attributes : I think it's "yes" in general.

David T

Premium Member
SOURCES OR RETRACT YOUR STATEMENT

Neither Orthodox, Liberal, Conservative, Mizrahi or Sephardi Jews accept a "Jesus" as a prophetic figure.

I wasn't aware that we are in the early 1st century of the common era and that the Temple still stands. Cool news though.

Ah my head begins to hurt again...
Spoken like a cult member! I love science kinda impossible for me to do my panelifts next week like a million pounds of concrete, but it being fundemental? Ha so southern baptist, so reductive, so aspergers .

Last edited:

rosends

In college I learned to make an important distinction -- there is "God" and there is the "idea of God." The idea of God is different between religions even when the God is the same, and vice versa.

So IMHO, Jews and Muslims share an idea of God, but have different actual Gods, while Christians claim to share the same God as Jews but have a distinct idea of God.