• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe the Bible is God's word?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
@Starlight ...like I said, you are not alone in overlooking the vengeful and violent God of the Bible
Most christians interpret the Bible symbolic and not literal

Catholic Bible Study is not excusing it by appealing to some linguistic gymnastics. They only interpret the Bible symbolic. And with the knowledge that God is love and just.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Most christians interpret the Bible symbolic and not literal

Catholic Bible Study is not excusing it by appealing to some linguistic gymnastics. They only interpret the Bible symbolic. And with the knowledge that God is love and just.
I dont think any of that is true.

Audie

Veteran Member
I have been granted God's grace, and God's grace is sufficient, blessings.
Some reason you cant just talk straight?

Like, "Yes, I am infallible."

Maybe even mention that you are not like the
millions of others who claim the same power
but dont get the reading right the way you do.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
And with the knowledge that God is love and just.

Ultimately, this is what's most important, imo. My wife and I attend mass regularly, and yet we question many of the Church's teachings.

One of our priests mentioned that to picture the role of the Church, imagine the role of a Roman traffic cop, waving and pointing his fingers while some obey him completely, so only do so if they feel like it's best for their situation, and some just completely blow the cop off. However, if something does go wrong, the cop is there to try and sort things out and also to determine fault.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If that were true, Catholic doctrine would be a lot more loving and just than it is.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe the whole Bible is not from God. Some people wrote parts that is wrong about God. God has never asked us humans to kill each other. God is against killing innocent people
Many parts of the Bible is from God, but some parts of the Bible is not from God
The parts that is loving and just is from God.

What do you believe about the Bible?
I believe the Bible is inspired by God nad it has a great many of God's words. In His own wods He instructed Joshua to destoy Jericho, man woman, child and beast.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Well for instance the serpent said: "Did God say?" and Eve decied to believe the serpent instead of God. She listened to the wrong source. Feelings are not a good source.
You don't have to buy into all of Christian theology in order to find spiritual inspiration in the Bible.

Tinkerpeach

I believe the whole Bible is not from God. Some people wrote parts that is wrong about God. God has never asked us humans to kill each other. God is against killing innocent people
Many parts of the Bible is from God, but some parts of the Bible is not from God

Yes it is God’s word.

It is written exactly how He wanted it to be written.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member

true ,that's what God said in Quran.
about corruption of Bible by human hand.
God never accept killing innocents

I think one should take the Bible seriously, but not literally. At least if you are of the faith. If you aren't, then the Bible isn't for you. And that's okay.

I think the Bible, or the 66 books that compose it, are an expression of faith. I think, by far too often, people use it incorrectly as a "proof" of God. The Bible is not proof of God, but the books were written by people already of the faith, and thus, it's an expression.

It think the Bible is fully by man. Maybe parts of it are inspired. But the books were written by people who were often just trying to make sense of things. At times, such as with Job, these were individuals who rejected common theological positions and are questioning traditional wisdom. Other times, they are just trying to record history, as well as people during their time recorded history. It's not modern history by any stretch.

I think portions of the Bible can have profound impacts on people, as there is a lot of great theological and philosophical ideas that are being presented. But often, I think people of faith turn away others from the Bible by taking an extreme stance.

CeilTempest

God and the supernatural are not like test subjects we can put in a lab & test tube. All we have to do it study what was written and the history. I believe it is God's word because what it says is happening and always happen in one ways or another. Most of motivational quotes & speeches can be traced back to the bible on way or another. The bible itself says all scripture is God breathed. Yes it was written by men used by God but it is the word of God.