• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Favor Belief Over Knowledge and Curiosity?

Avoice1C

the means are the ends
This is a rather unclear statement. Are you saying that you will remain a Christian even though Genesis is clearly a book of myths? Or are you stating that you will ignore reality no matter what?
If Genesis 1 is compared to the way things happened in science, there is a parallel. Forget the day because day in Hebrew comes in two terms one meaning 24 hours and one meaning extended period of time. The way life evolved is paralleled IMO Genesis 2 is about man and his creation. I believe it as close as Moses could get to what God showed him. I do not ignore much in this life, let alone reality.

Avoice1C

the means are the ends
If you dont care to think about what I said, that is your deal.

As for me and the N T, I dont care to resd it once again. Or
the OT. Dont make the mistake of assuning I dont
know scripture.
If you want to know God read the NT. Other than that, I think you are pretty well balanced.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If Genesis 1 is compared to the way things happened in science, there is a parallel. Forget the day because day in Hebrew comes in two terms one meaning 24 hours and one meaning extended period of time. The way life evolved is paralleled IMO Genesis 2 is about man and his creation. I believe it as close as Moses could get to what God showed him. I do not ignore much in this life, let alone reality.

It still fails with the Adam and Eve myth. It portrays God as an evil incompetent. And of course we know that there were never only two people.

Avoice1C

the means are the ends
It still fails with the Adam and Eve myth. It portrays God as an evil incompetent. And of course we know that there were never only two people.
We don't know if there were only 2 people in the Fertile Crescent. It also says God created them male and female He created them. Them could well mean more than one pair as it is used for other animals too. Moses had a limited understanding to interpret what God showed him. Why do you think God is evil?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
We don't know if there were only 2 people in the Fertile Crescent. It also says God created them male and female He created them. Them could well mean more than one pair as it is used for other animals too. Moses had a limited understanding to interpret what God showed him. Why do you think God is evil?

Continually reinterpreting is not an honest approach to the Bible. Sooner or later you need to be honest and admit that it is full of flaws. It may still have a valid message but if you waste so much time defending the obvious flaws in the Bible you will probably miss that.

As I pointed out before we know that the Noah's Ark story is pretty much pure fantasy. There may have been a real flood that inspired it but that is as far as it goes. And there there are the amazing number of failed prophecies in the Bible. The worst of the Old Testament's being the Tyre prophesy. If you can't admit that is a failed prophesy then you lose the ability to call yourself an honest Christian.

Audie

Veteran Member
The Tyre prophesy is my favorite honesty test of Christians. If they cannot admit that such a relatively unimportant prophesy utterly failed then they can't deal honestly with anything in the Bible at all.

Ok, some cant admit the bible aint perfect.
So what comes next?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
It depends. If I am bored I might. Sometimes I troll the trolls. Sometimes I correct their errors but no longer offer to help them.
Are you saying that I am irritating people that are irritating? Isn't that a good thing?

For one who doesn't lend much credence to the Bible, you certainly play that Matthew 5:38 card pretty close to the chest, don't you?
;)

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Sometimes we remain loyal to a cause because it's opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Nietzsche