• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you KNOW God does not exist?

Do you KNOW God does Not exist?

• Yes, I know He does not exist

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • No, I do not know He does not exist

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • No, I believe He exists

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • No, I believe He does not exist

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Yes. I know He does exists

Votes: 12 22.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hmm, I voted 100%, but I don't know God 100% doesn't exist. I just know 100% that it doesn't matter and know 100% that I acquire no value for speculating the existence of an entity thats only mention was from the mouths of people.
I finally voted. I said "I know He doesn't exist". I recognize that all human knowledge is imperfect and that we might all just be brains in vats, yadda yadda, but:
- if we're all brains in vats together, then whatever you think you're worshipping doesn't actually exist.
- if it's just me in a vat and you're all just stimuli being fed into my brain, then you don't exist and therefore don't actually worship anything.
- "brain in a vat"-type limitations on knowledge are a problem for any knowledge claim. I don't think we have to throw away normal usage in this case alone.

dust1n

Zindīq
I finally voted. I said "I know He doesn't exist". I recognize that all human knowledge is imperfect and that we might all just be brains in vats, yadda yadda, but:
- if we're all brains in vats together, then whatever you think you're worshipping doesn't actually exist.
- if it's just me in a vat and you're all just stimuli being fed into my brain, then you don't exist and therefore don't actually worship anything.
- "brain in a vat"-type limitations on knowledge are a problem for any knowledge claim. I don't think we have to throw away normal usage in this case alone.

I don't think I claim to know anything %100, nor do I suspect anyone can know anything to that degree. But most things that I can't know to be %100 wrong, or whatever, I can recognize most of things are %100 are entirely irrelevant of me and my opinions on them. On these matters, I don't see what the difference between %99.9999... certainty and %100 certainty actually is or why it matters.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Can you give an example of a god that isn't worshipped by any theist?
(Pardons) If you go to the pagan DIR youll find people, poly thiest for example, who believe in pre christiand and/or mythological Gods ajnd say they dont worship them. God is not defined by an entity needing to be worshiped. Many gods have a lot of characteristics that to a believer would be unpleasing to worship. God is not always an entity to some people. Therefore, worship in the traditional sense is illogical.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hmm, I voted 100%, but I don't know God 100% doesn't exist. I just know 100% that it doesn't matter and know 100% that I acquire no value for speculating the existence of an entity thats only mention was from the mouths of people.
I agree. I feel God (as an entity) existing is a claim believers need to justify and believe. If it is a part of their mind (which it is) they may devalue it for some reason. Buddhists know that our Buddha nature is our mind. It does not exisf outside ourselves. Without the mind, thered be no definition of God. God seems to have many human like attributes. He also has attributes that believers want to have (perfection, ever lasting life). He does things for motives humans do (kill to take over lands), like kings and parents he has dictatorahip.

The only evidence, if I wanted one, for God(abrahamic, hindu (if they are entities), pagan gods, etc) is if they posess any characteristics that are unique to them--separate from our wants, needs and what we believe, and know.

Until then, he remains just a claim or idea in my head and others. Nothing wrong with that. I just find it uneasy when people dont know it themselves.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You failed to address my question. God has control over everything, so why would God want people to fail to "gel". I, of course, know why they wouldn't gel. My question is why would God want this to happen.

Not want.....allows.....

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You failed to address my question. God has control over everything, so why would God want people to fail to "gel". I, of course, know why they wouldn't gel. My question is why would God want this to happen.

You failed to realize your questions are not pivot points.

Go back and read it again.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
One would have to imagine that there is any "God's" to have 'wants'.
What would any "God" ever want or desire, when it already controls everything ?
I find the circle of this conversation to be somewhat confusing,
but....consider my ignorance in the discussion anyway.
~
'mud

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Nobody "knows" that God exists or does not exist, knowledge requires some rational basis in fact. You also cannot prove a universal negative, hence there is no way to disprove universal gods. You can only dismiss gods that are irrational or inherently contradictory in their construction as non-existent..

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Nobody "knows" that God exists or does not exist, knowledge requires some rational basis in fact.
If it's a fact that you don't know, then fine, but if you've defined "god," as many people have, then it's a fact that you know. It's foolish to say that "no one knows," especially if you don't know it's a fact.

You also cannot prove a universal negative, hence there is no way to disprove universal gods. You can only dismiss gods that are irrational or inherently contradictory in their construction as non-existent..
I can't imagine what a 'universal negative' is, but the universe is positive, so it shouldn't be a problem.