• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Know Why You Don't Believe?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Oh, I'm so sorry. I must be to blame for you choosing to look at my silly thread. Sorry, my fault.

Oh, why did you give me frubals and say "Great thread, btw"?

You're quite the fickel one aren't you?
I gave you frubals when I was thinking you might have a coherent answer eventually. I won't make the same mistake again.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
He's a giant. Someone his size would scare the heck out of ancient peoples just as any person born with any deformity or other significant difference. Ancient people were quite ignorant and often blamed their gods or spirits and eventually God for these things.

If he belonged to a small community and he chose a wife who was also very tall and they had children, what do you think would happen?

Maybe, a community of giants?

But they could never reach the towering heights of mythological giants. But anyway, this has nothing to do with anything. Giants was just an example.

Ancient people would have also been scared of the unknown world they had to live in, and in their ignorance would often create gods to explain it.

Super Universe

Defender of God
But they could never reach the towering heights of mythological giants. But anyway, this has nothing to do with anything. Giants was just an example.

Ancient people would have also been scared of the unknown world they had to live in, and in their ignorance would often create gods to explain it.

This is why you have to make up your own mind about every single thing and it's why I started this thread, to find out if you know why you don't believe.

So far, the few answers I have seem to be that athiests need absolute proof of God.

Which makes me wonder because, certainly they don't need absolute proof of other things that they believe in. For example, one might never have been to Paris yet still believe in the Eiffel Tower. Why? Is a picture that powerful?

If so, why doesn't looking at a picture of the universe work the same way? Is it because you don't understand the process that the universe creates organization, life planets, and life?

gnomon

gnomon said:
I do not believe in God, the spirit nor the supernatural because it's all irrelevant. To me.

There is nothing in this world that cannot be faced through reason or the comfort of others.

For me.

Hoozah! or Huzah! ...something like that.

I quote myself!

Super Universe

Defender of God
Hoozah! or Huzah! ...something like that.

I quote myself!

That's like saying "I don't believe in Africa because I will never go there and it doesn't affect me in the least".

You didn't answer the question. You just said "I never need to answer it".

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I do not believe in God, the spirit nor the supernatural because it's all irrelevant. To me.
Now see, I don't get this reasoning. Relevance is well... irrelevant. Rainbows are utterly to my life, but that has no bearing on the question of their existance. And yes, I know the comparison is faulty, but you get my point, right?

gnomon

Now see, I don't get this reasoning. Relevance is well... irrelevant. Rainbows are utterly to my life, but that has no bearing on the question of their existance. And yes, I know the comparison is faulty, but you get my point, right?

I think I get it.

Let me phrase it this way. I don't find belief in the supernatural practical. The decision wasn't made out of the blue. I say for me because I realize other people find their belief of supreme importance. That's fine with me.

gnomon

That's like saying "I don't believe in Africa because I will never go there and it doesn't affect me in the least".

You didn't answer the question. You just said "I never need to answer it".

I did answer your question.

I do not require belief for my ego. I don't mean ego in any negative sense.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think I get it.

Let me phrase it this way. I don't find belief in the supernatural practical. The decision wasn't made out of the blue. I say for me because I realize other people find their belief of supreme importance. That's fine with me.
I'm afraid that doesn't help. Unless you're just trying to avoid calling it irrational, my initial objection stands.

If you don't believe because of a lack of evidence, I get that. As for God specifically, perceived lack of relevance is a perfectly sound reason not to worship, but I don't see it as a valid reason for disbelief.

BTW, what do you think of naturalistic God-concepts?

gnomon

I'm afraid that doesn't help. Unless you're just trying to avoid calling it irrational, my initial objection stands.

If you don't believe because of a lack of evidence, I get that. As for God specifically, perceived lack of relevance is a perfectly sound reason not to worship, but I don't see it as a valid reason for disbelief.

BTW, what do you think of naturalistic God-concepts?

Let me put it this way.

The primary function of spiritual belief is "How should we live". Most people, I think I can fairly assume, have developed various spiritual beliefs to help them determine how to live. I do not have any spiritual beliefs that tell me that. Of course, there could be a semantical argument over what qualifies as spiritual. I equate religion and spiritual. Just for the sake of argument.

In my daily life there is no question, no problem...nothing I do that requires belief in the spiritual realm or the supernatural. In other words, the concepts are irrelevant to my personal life. The quibble may come in that the particular manner in which I live my life can indeed be considered spiritual. Or that spiritual matters are not irrelevant to me since I'm posting on RF.:D But those are usually issues of semantics.

The issue over the existence of God is irrelevant to me on how I live my life. I'm not stating that this equates to an irrational mind held by believers. Despite my often glib statements.

edit: The issue over physical evidence is tricky. SuperUniverse already stated that the existence of the universe itself is evidence. There is nothing to debate there.

gnomon

OK, I get what you're saying, I just don't follow the leap from not caring to actively disbelieving.

Am I mistaken in my impression that you actively disbelieve?

I don't call it active disbelief. If there is no belief there is nothing to act on. That's actually one reason I don't call myself an atheist per se. I might be called an agnostic but I don't call myself that either.

I have been called weird. Among other things.

Super Universe

Defender of God
The issue over the existence of God is irrelevant to me on how I live my life.

edit: The issue over physical evidence is tricky. SuperUniverse already stated that the existence of the universe itself is evidence. There is nothing to debate there.

I wouldn't put it in exactly these terms but I would say that I agree with you on this. Whether God exists or not has no bearing on us (now) because God will not interfere with our lives.

I stated the universe itself is evidence enough? Yes, and the incredible and beautiful earth floating in a sea of emptiness, and all the wonderous life existing here along with us. To me, it's obvious now, I just couldn't see it because I was too occupied with... myself.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Ok, one last thing before I duck out of this one. Seems no-one takes notice of my posts in this thread anyway! :p

So far, the few answers I have seem to be that athiests need absolute proof of God.

Which makes me wonder because, certainly they don't need absolute proof of other things that they believe in. For example, one might never have been to Paris yet still believe in the Eiffel Tower. Why? Is a picture that powerful?

I think people are able to believe the Eiffel Tower exists because

1) it actually does
2) many different people have taken pictures of it
3) many people actually see it
4) many people climb it
5) many pictures of people who have climbed it
6) there is very little evidence to suggest that it doesn't exist.