• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Know Why You Don't Believe?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think people are able to believe the Eiffel Tower exists because

1) it actually does
2) many different people have taken pictures of it
3) many people actually see it
4) many people climb it
5) many pictures of people who have climbed it
6) there is very little evidence to suggest that it doesn't exist.
To be fair, there's no evidence to suggest God doesn't exist, and plenty of people who clim personal experience of it. There are even pictures, though no photos. :)

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Oh, and yeah Storm I agree.

I'm just pushing buttons :p

But I don't think many people have counted the stairs all the way to the top of God.....

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I can imagine it now

"The stairs to god have only been counted by one person"

or

"The stairs to god are figurative and many people have climbed them and counted every step of the way...."

etc
etc
etc

Tiberius

How is the universe, the earth, and life evidence of intelligent design? Phenomenal complexity.

Have I eliminated every other possible explanation? It seems to me there are only two options available to you, either intelligence behind the design or not. There is no room for any other explanation for me. I will not, can not, forget what I've seen.

Actually, not having God would make it much harder to understand the universe. How exactly do atoms create and assemble themselves again? Then how do atoms create physical laws, energy, gravity, and life?

Ah. So event X will either occur or it will not occur.

Either X or Not X.

But that doesn't tell us anything about how likely each possibility is. X may be one of those once-in-a-gazillion things.

The way you've phrased it makes it seem like there's a fifty-fifty chance, but there isn't. And there is only a miniscule chance that intelligent design is correct, making it much more likely that there is no intelligence behind it all. After all, if there's an intelligence, why all the badly designed stuff? Nipples on men, the piddly little toenail on your little toe.

It seems to me that you're working from the argument from ignorance:

"I can't believe that all these things I interpret as design could have occured without a designer, there there is a designer."

This is a logical fallacy.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Ah. So event X will either occur or it will not occur.

Either X or Not X.

But that doesn't tell us anything about how likely each possibility is. X may be one of those once-in-a-gazillion things.

The way you've phrased it makes it seem like there's a fifty-fifty chance, but there isn't. And there is only a miniscule chance that intelligent design is correct, making it much more likely that there is no intelligence behind it all. After all, if there's an intelligence, why all the badly designed stuff? Nipples on men, the piddly little toenail on your little toe.

It seems to me that you're working from the argument from ignorance:

"I can't believe that all these things I interpret as design could have occured without a designer, there there is a designer."

This is a logical fallacy.

Only a miniscule chance that intelligent design is correct? Uh, show me the math on that one.

Why all the badly designed stuff? Who are you to say what's bad and what is not? Can you build a universe? Nope, not even close. But you sure are critical of the one given to you.

Using the terms probability and chance are incorrect as far as creation is concerned. We have nothing to compare it to. Still, I like the terms because it asks for you to make up your own mind using the logic and experience you have learned over the years. So, which is more likely to you:

1) An intelligence created energy in an active and stable form, it also created stable physical laws that control this energy, it added the time element, and, as if this was not enough, it created life. Life that evolves.

2) Primary elements somehow formed and found stability while already abiding by physical laws, these elements then joined to form more complex compounds and somehow caused the time element and eventually became alive.

Smoke

Done here.
To be fair, there's no evidence to suggest God doesn't exist, and plenty of people who clim personal experience of it. There are even pictures, though no photos. :)
Really, it makes no sense to be skeptical. If there's no God, how can his Blessed Mother miraculously appear on grilled cheese sandwiches, huh? Answer me that! :D

Super Universe

Defender of God
The capacity to delude oneself with this kind of argumentation is hardly indicative of intelligent design: quite the contrary.

You know what Jay, how about joining a debate for once instead of throwing insults from the cheap seats?

What are you afraid of?

UnTheist

Guys, have you ever heard of the saying "Don't feed the Troll"?

SU, prove to us that God is required for the Universe to exist.

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
What is the reason you don't believe in God? Or the reason you're not absolutely positively sure God exists?

I'd guess the number one reason is because people see bad things happening all around them and can't understand why God would allow it to happen.

How would you rate the other reasons not to believe?

Now the key question, where would you rate your own ego as a reason and do you realize it's the main reason?

We don't need God, we have science, psychology, evolution, geology, cosmology, physics, archeaology. etc etc.

However, science doesn't mean I don't enjoy the myths of the Goddesses and feel an empathy with me. Science also doesn't mean I can't celebrate the turning points of the Solar Year, if God is anything, God is the Sun, the giver of all life. And yet the Sun is a nuclear reactor...hail science.

Bad things happen, because people , some people have their emotions running amok.

Melissa G

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Thanks for playing but since you avoided answering the OP, next time, don't bother.

You keep saying this yet your question has been answered hundreds of times, you just are not getting the answer you want. The reason so many people don't believe is there is no proof. The Universe is not proof of Gods existence before you try that one again.

So thanks for playing, but since you are avoiding the answers, next time don't bother to ask.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
So thanks for playing, but since you are avoiding the answers, next time don't bother to ask.

He's waiting until all of us repeat one after another.....

God made the universe
God made the universe
God made the universe.

Until then, we're all wrong. :D