• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Know Why You Don't Believe?

Super Universe

Defender of God
We don't need God, we have science, psychology, evolution, geology, cosmology, physics, archeaology. etc etc.

However, science doesn't mean I don't enjoy the myths of the Goddesses and feel an empathy with me. Science also doesn't mean I can't celebrate the turning points of the Solar Year, if God is anything, God is the Sun, the giver of all life. And yet the Sun is a nuclear reactor...hail science.

Bad things happen, because people , some people have their emotions running amok.

Melissa G

You don't need God? No, you don't, but your sciences are up against some big walls (String Theory will give you an understanding of God, and thus a Unified Field Theory that explains gravity and God energy aka spirit) and those walls won't come down until you add God into your figuring.

Bad things happen because some people's emotions are running amok? Bingo!

Tiberius

Only a miniscule chance that intelligent design is correct? Uh, show me the math on that one.

Show me the math for yours.

Why all the badly designed stuff? Who are you to say what's bad and what is not? Can you build a universe? Nope, not even close. But you sure are critical of the one given to you.

Badly designed? Such as how easy it is for humans to choke? And what about sex? Who the hell builds a recreation center next to sewage processing?

Using the terms probability and chance are incorrect as far as creation is concerned. We have nothing to compare it to. Still, I like the terms because it asks for you to make up your own mind using the logic and experience you have learned over the years. So, which is more likely to you:

probability = the possible outcomes combined with the likelyhood of each outcome.

In what way does this not apply?

1) An intelligence created energy in an active and stable form, it also created stable physical laws that control this energy, it added the time element, and, as if this was not enough, it created life. Life that evolves.

Uh huh, and pray tell, where did this intelligence come from?

2) Primary elements somehow formed and found stability while already abiding by physical laws, these elements then joined to form more complex compounds and somehow caused the time element and eventually became alive.

This fits with what we have observed.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Show me the math for yours.

Badly designed? Such as how easy it is for humans to choke? And what about sex? Who the hell builds a recreation center next to sewage processing?

probability = the possible outcomes combined with the likelyhood of each outcome.

In what way does this not apply?

Uh huh, and pray tell, where did this intelligence come from?

This fits with what we have observed.

Hehe, the typical Athiest reply... Never any proof for your assertions.

How easy it is for humans to choke? Who told you to think you are supposed to live forever?

How are you going to come up with the math to show probability that the universe would form itself? You're not. It's all speculation based upon our own view.

Where did this intelligence come from? I posted it earlier in this thread.

No, your scientists have not observed a singularity expanding out of nothing. They have not observed energy/matter creating any physical law, only energy/matter abiding by them. They have not observed nor have they even postulated any theory on anything that could create time. Once again they've only observed it's effect. They also have not observed any non-living thing come alive.

Buttercup

Veteran Member

No, your scientists have not observed a singularity expanding out of nothing. They have not observed energy/matter creating any physical law, only energy/matter abiding by them. They have not observed nor have they even postulated any theory on anything that could create time. Once again they've only observed it's effect. They also have not observed any non-living thing come alive.
Therefore, God did it. :rolleyes:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
But now you are quite angry. Why are you so against my view when you admit that you don't know?
:biglaugh: How can you presume to know me well enough to discern if I'm angry? Even my RF friends who know me very well are sometimes not sure. Tis the limitations of communicating solely through typed text.

And, I'm not against your view. It's just that you won't accept any other view besides your own.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
How easy it is for humans to choke? Who told you to think you are supposed to live forever?

That is one example of something we can compare to other animals and see it as an imperfection in us. Dogs can eat and breath at the same time, so they do not choke as easily. Are dogs suppose to live forever?
[/quote]

Super Universe

Defender of God
:biglaugh: How can you presume to know me well enough to discern if I'm angry? Even my RF friends who know me very well are sometimes not sure. Tis the limitations of communicating solely through typed text.

And, I'm not against your view. It's just that you won't accept any other view besides your own.

When it comes believing in God, I won't accept any other view for myself. As far as everything else goes, I'm all ears.

Once again, that is the reason for this thread, to hear other's ideas of why they don't believe in God.

Super Universe

Defender of God
[/size]

That is one example of something we can compare to other animals and see it as an imperfection in us. Dogs can eat and breath at the same time, so they do not choke as easily. Are dogs suppose to live forever?

I'm having trouble understanding your position, are you suggesting that since dogs can do this thing that they were designed better than humans?

I'm not sure who led you to believe that humanity and the universe were designed to suit your wishes but they weren't.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
When it comes believing in God, I won't accept any other view for myself. As far as everything else goes, I'm all ears.

Once again, that is the reason for this thread, to hear other's ideas of why they don't believe in God.

So why when they tell you them do you refuse to listen?

Buttercup

Veteran Member

As far as everything else goes, I'm all ears.

But, you're not allowing anyone to hold their view. You keep telling them they're wrong without providing any compelling evidence to sway them other wise. And, you're asking impossible questions that even you have no idea how to answer yourself except to say.....because we don't know, God did it!

Most of us think it's silly to attribute something to God when the answer isn't known. Why not just say, "I don't know?"

In reality, you don't know how the universe was formed. You are just banking on a God who formed it. You are in the exact same position as the rest of us.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
I'm having trouble understanding your position, are you suggesting that since dogs can do this thing that they were designed better than humans?

Better designed for that one thing, at least.
I thought earlier you said we didn't have anything else to compare this universe to. I can't seem to find where you said that, so maybe you didn't... But you did say,

Super_Universe said:
Why all the badly designed stuff? Who are you to say what's bad and what is not?

My point was that we can compare our bodies to that of other animals to see alternative designs that might work better.
But I guess it doesn't really matter. Oh well.

I'm not sure who led you to believe that humanity and the universe were designed to suit your wishes but they weren't.

Lots of religions make this claim. But I agree with you here, the universe was not designed to suit us.

Super Universe

Defender of God
So why when they tell you them do you refuse to listen?

Refuse to listen? Do you mean I refuse to accept their other ideas? Like what other ideas, that there is a lack of proof of God?

There is as much evidence equally supporting believing as well as non-believing, the whole point of this thread is to understand WHY you choose your belief.

Were you under the impression that you could change my mind?

Super Universe

Defender of God
But, you're not allowing anyone to hold their view. You keep telling them they're wrong without providing any compelling evidence to sway them other wise. And, you're asking impossible questions that even you have no idea how to answer yourself except to say.....because we don't know, God did it!

Most of us think it's silly to attribute something to God when the answer isn't known. Why not just say, "I don't know?"

In reality, you don't know how the universe was formed. You are just banking on a God who formed it. You are in the exact same position as the rest of us.

How can I not allow you to hold your view? I simply give you some explanation of things as I understand them, ideas I know you have not heard before. I cannot change your view, only you can do that and even if it were possible that is not the point of this thread.

I just, simply, want to know why you don't believe? Lack of evidence implies that you require absolute proof of God while you accept many other things without absolute indisputable proof. Why are you upset? Why are you afraid? Why do you feel that God has not done enough for you?

I ask impossible questions and have no idea how to answer? Give me your top three impossible questions, then we'll work on your next three impossible questions afterwards.

I don't know how the universe formed? I wasn't there, no. But then, neither were your scientists yet they don't just say "I don't know" and give up pondering. Still, they are quite the role models for you, aren't they? They are your god.

So, you know my reality do you?

Nanda

Polyanna
Why are you upset? Why are you afraid? Why do you feel that God has not done enough for you?

Why do you assume that this is why people don't believe in god? How can I be upset with something that doesn't exist? How can I feel that something that doesn't exist hasn't done enough for me?

Super Universe

Defender of God
Better designed for that one thing, at least.
I thought earlier you said we didn't have anything else to compare this universe to. I can't seem to find where you said that, so maybe you didn't... But you did say,

My point was that we can compare our bodies to that of other animals to see alternative designs that might work better.
But I guess it doesn't really matter. Oh well.

Lots of religions make this claim. But I agree with you here, the universe was not designed to suit us.

You are losing me. Are you suggesting that a human and an animal are from different universes?

Sure, we could design a being that might work better.

Maybe have a way to store oxygen or oxygenated blood in the brain so it would increase the survival rate of those who have lost blood in accidents?

Maybe allow body parts to grow back that were lost in accidents? Kind of like a lizard grows back it's tail?

Maybe improve our night eye sight?

Maybe improve our immune system?

Maybe give us more control over our level of emotions so outbursts would decrease?

But then, humans would be like ascended beings. Already knowing good from evil and always choosing good. Already immortal and born all knowing. God would have no reason for the universe to exist.

The universe was designed to be a learning experience. Not a perfect learning experience.