• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you really think you are helping anyone?

sky dancer

Look - you either believe God exists, or you believe God does not exist. It's not as if God exists for some people, and doesn't exist for others. So - some of us are right and some of us are wrong. We can't all be right.

If you believe that your belief system is correct (ie, God does not exist) then you believe that others are mistaken. In other words, wrong.

I'm not trying to "trap you." I am simply trying to look at this logically, and I want you to look at it logically as well.
You are trying to bait me into an argument. I don't believe in God. Period.
In your view, things are black and white, and only one path can be true. Yours is the only true path, isn't that your point? I disagree. The Buddha taught 84,000 meditation methods to free the mind and heart. All we have to find is just one.

Why is it you can't just let go and let human beings choose the path we desire?

sky dancer

Way to go! I see that you are avoiding the obvious - not all that adeptly but you're still doing it.

Either God exists, or He doesn't. You are either right or wrong. I am either right or wrong. We can't both be right.

I wonder why you can't see that.
We can both be right, I'm sorry you can't see that. It makes it hard to befriend you. You have an agenda to convert all others to your point of view.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
You are trying to bait me into an argument. I don't believe in God. Period.
In your view, things are black and white, and only one path can be true. Yours is the only true path, isn't that your point?

I disagree. The Buddha taught 84,000 meditation methods to free the mind and heart. All we have to find is just one.

Your view is either illogical, or intentionally obtuse. Either God exists, or He doesn't. If He does exist, your path based on the fact that you believe He doesn't exist, is based on misinformation. If He doesn't exist, then my path based on my belief that He does, is based on misinformation.

Everyone cannot be right.

sky dancer

You are telling me my view is wrong. That doesn't lend itself to friendly ecumenical discourse.

Buddhism is vastly differently from Christianity. Your's is a fundamentalist view. Only you can be right. Everything is black and white.

In Buddhism, we are comfortable with contradictions, and it is in meditation, that all contradictions are resolved.

For example, one profound view in Buddhism, is that the four extreme view of existence, non-existence, both existience and non-existence, and neither existence nor non-existence must be abandoned can be resolved in meditation on the nature of mind.

sky dancer

So - you believe that that those who choose Christianity are choosing a belief system based on truth?
I don't think about Christians all that much. Clearly, there are many of you, and you think you are right about everything. Perhaps, you need that. Perhaps that's just how you're wired, always having to be right.

Truth just is. It is not the domain of one religion over another.

Eternity is not truth. Impermanence is. Look around you. Find one thing that never changes.

I relate well to Christians in my life because we connect on a heart to heart basis and we don't tell each other YOUR path is wrong and MINE is right.

Last edited:

Kathryn

You are telling me my view is wrong. That doesn't lend itself to friendly ecumenical discourse.

Buddhism is vastly differently from Christianity. Your's is a fundamentalist view. Only you can be right. Everything is black and white.

In Buddhism, we are comfortable with contradictions, and it is in meditation, that all contradictions are resolved.

For example, one profound view in Buddhism, is that the four extreme view of existence, non-existence, both existience and non-existence, and neither existence nor non-existence must be abandoned can be resolved in meditation on the nature of mind.

Say what?

Are you saying that God can exist and that God does not exist, at the same time?

Kathryn

I don't think about Christians all that much. Clearly, there are many of you, and you think you are right about everything. Perhaps, you need that.

You talk a sweet line about befriending and being tolerant, and yet your language contradicts itself.

I have never claimed that I am right about everything - and that's because I do not believe that I am right about everything. Nor do most Christians that I know. I am seeking deeper understanding. I have changed my mind about my beliefs, and will do so again as I mature and grow, I'm sure.

Clearly you believe in your set of beliefs - do you believe that your set of beliefs is true and right? If so - does that mean that you believe that sets of beliefs which contradict yours are untrue and wrong?

sky dancer

I'm sorry you seem to hate everything I write about how I feel. I have said clearly, that Buddhism is the true path for me, and clearly Christianity is the true path for you.

Why are you so hostile to me? What have I done to you?

Kathryn

I am not telling you that your view is wrong. I am asking you questions, which you are dancing around furiously. You, however, are repeatedly telling me what you think I believe, when I am asking you what you believe, and asking for clarification.

You're throwing stones from a glass house.

Kathryn

I'm sorry you seem to hate everything I write about how I feel. I have said clearly, that Buddhism is the true path for me, and clearly Christianity is the true path for you.

Why are you so hostile to me? What have I done to you?

I'm not being hostile. I'm being logical and practical. Though I will admit, I am also a bit frustrated by your determination NOT to answer my questions clearly.

This is a debate forum. In debates, one should expect direct questions and honest challenges. Don't take it so personally.

sky dancer

I am answering your questions truthfully. You don't seem to understand my answers. Is that my fault?

If I frustrate you so much, why continue? Take a break and relax. Life's too short.

Kathryn

Sky Dancer - Do you believe that that those who choose Christianity are choosing a belief system based on truth?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
OK, you're on your own I guess. If you find us, great. If not, it's on you.

Honestly, that's how I see this approach.

Believe me, I know where to look to find you. If Christianity interested me in the least way at all, I'd go have a look. But it doesn't.

In Hinduism, because an essential tenet is reincarnation, we don't need help. We see each soul as evolving towards the goal of moksha, regardless of religion. If you are at the point in this evolution where you need to be a god-fearing person, or a belief in heaven-hell suits you then so be it. I'm honestly compassionate towards anyone, even the people who just got hoodwinked by a so-called evangelical preacher, and him too. Must be tough having gone through all that.

But this faith in reincarnation makes for a patient person. There simply is no hurry, in our view. If a person is ready for Hinduism, or any of the other deeper dharmic faiths, it'll just show up in their world. If not, it won't. When Hinduism found me, it was simply a confirmation of what I already held to be true, but didn't at the time know it was Hinduism. But in Christianity, there has to be a rush, because this is the only chance you've got, and you'd better make the most of it.

sky dancer

Why does it matter what I think about Christianity, Kathryn?

You've chosen something that seem like truth to you, and I've chosen something that seem like truth to me.

I have many reasons for choosing Buddhism, just as I'm sure you have many reasons for choosing Christianity.

sky dancer

Believe me, I know where to look to find you. If Christianity interested me in the least way at all, I'd go have a look. But it doesn't.

In Hinduism, because an essential tenet is reincarnation, we don't need help. We see each soul as evolving towards the goal of moksha, regardless of religion. If you are at the point in this evolution where you need to be a god-fearing person, or a belief in heaven-hell suits you then so be it. I'm honestly compassionate towards anyone, even the people who just got hoodwinked by a so-called evangelical preacher, and him too. Must be tough having gone through all that.

But this faith in reincarnation makes for a patient person. There simply is no hurry, in our view. If a person is ready for Hinduism, or any of the other deeper dharmic faiths, it'll just show up in their world. If not, it won't. When Hinduism found me, it was simply a confirmation of what I already held to be true, but didn't at the time know it was Hinduism. But in Christianity, there has to be a rush, because this is the only chance you've got, and you'd better make the most of it.
I agree. Buddhism found me, after I'd left Christianity. I took my time and went slowly with it.

I've lived long enough now to be a Buddhist longer than I was a Christian. I know more about Christianity than most Christians know about Buddhism.

sky dancer

Just answer the very simple question Sky dancer.
I have answered the question, you just don't like my answer. You want to fight. I don't. The first teaching I ever heard in Buddhism, was the Four Noble Truths. I immediately heard the truth in it.

I did not hear the truth in the Catholic catechism I was raised on.

Kathryn

The last time I asked you that question:

So - you believe that that those who choose Christianity are choosing a belief system based on truth?

You answered this:

I don't think about Christians all that much. Clearly, there are many of you, and you think you are right about everything. Perhaps, you need that. Perhaps that's just how you're wired, always having to be right.

Eternity is not truth. Impermanence is. Look around you. Find one thing that never changes.

I relate well to Christians in my life because we connect on a heart to heart basis and we don't tell each other YOUR path is wrong and MINE is right.

Obviously that is not a clear answer. That's a non answer. I mean, parts of it sound nice and fluffy, but you didn't answer the question.

Let's look at your response more closely.

Ooops, do I sense a bit of hostility?

As I stated before, many Christians, myself included, don't believe that we are right about everything. You go on further to state this:

Do these Christians in your life know that you think THEY think they're right about everything? Are they aware of your judgmental attitude toward them and their faith?

I agree. So we agree that there is such a thing as truth, right? So if two people believe in two totally different ideas - ideas which contradict each other - how can both ideas be true? And if one idea is true, and one idea is false, then SOMEONE IS RIGHT AND SOMEONE IS WRONG.

Eternity is not truth.

Let's use this as an example of an idea that people disagree on. You believe that eternity is not a true concept. Others believe it is. How can both be right? They can't be. So one is right and one is wrong. You believe that you are right - and that therefore others who believe differently are wrong.

Why is it so hard for you to admit this?

sky dancer

I don't feel judmental toward the Christians in my life. We peacefully co-exist. I don't tell them Christianity is wrong, and they don't tell me they are the only ones whose path is true. They don't feel any negativity or hostility toward me at all. Why should they? I love them as people. They see my positive qualities. You don't.

You're a black and white thinker Kathryn. There's only one right way, and that's yours.

Do I have any unresolved feelings about being raised Catholic in an abusive family? Yes. Do you condemn me for that?

Catholicism in my family was a dismal failure. It's amazing and makes me very happy that I found Buddhism.

Some of the people who lived in Magdalene laundries have NO faith of ANY kind because of the abuse they suffered from priests and nuns and the institional Catholic Church.

Last edited: