• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you support marriage rights for homosexuals?

Do you support marriage rights for homosexuals?

• Yes

Votes: 99 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • I don't know/Other

Votes: 8 6.7%

• Total voters

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
No, it doesn't, because if homosexuality is legal, then banning same-sex marriage doesn't stop any same-sex sexual acts at all.

What you're really stopping are the things that even Islam (AFAIK) doesn't consider sins. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

A few years ago, one of my friends suffered a severe (and unexpected) respiratory attack. He was rushed to the hospital by ambulance, where the doctors induced a coma to save his life. He stayed in the coma for a month. Once he emerged from the coma, he was in hospital for another month.

Meanwhile, his wife had to do what she could to keep the family going, but the money she needed to pay the mortgage was in his personal chequing account. Because they were married, it was a relatively simple matter for her to talk to her bank manager and get access to his account. However, if their relationship didn't have legal status, then she and their two children could've ended up out on the street while her husband was laid up in the hospital, because she wouldn't have had the money to pay for their house.

Now... imagine a similar situation, but where instead of an opposite-sex husband and wife, you had a same-sex couple. Are you really saying that the right thing to do is to have the family evicted?

Where in the Quran does it say that if you disapprove of the sex that two adults have, it's charitable to force their children onto the street?

That's the sort of issue that's at play when we're talking about same-sex marriage. It's not about sexual acts at all.

States and countries and banks, etc have different laws and policies.

Most banks would not allow even a SPOUSE to access a private account which they were not a co owner on, while the owner was living. I know the bank I manage wouldn't - that is a violation of not only bank policy, but many laws.

The spouse would have to get legal authority from outside the bank, such as a Power of Attorney, to do so. Simply being the spouse, even in a community property state such as Texas, wouldn't gain her access into his private account without either his cognizant permission (and documentation) or an outside legal authority.

In fact, a banker could lose her job, be sued, etc for allowing such access without the proper legal proceedings.

That being said, OUTSIDE the bank, I have no doubt that a spouse has more access to legal authority when it comes to access.

Marriage is a legal, civil contract in the eyes of the law. It's not a spiritual state of being to the law. It's not a moral issue. It's simply a contract, with legal obligations and protections.

This is why I am not opposed to legalizing "gay marriage." Consenting adults should be allowed to enter into contractual agreements and enjoy the protections, as well as the obligations, of such agreements. That doesn't mean that morally or spiritually they have a marriage - maybe they do and maybe they don't, it's not my business, and it's not their business to try to convince others of the moral legitimacy of their marriage, just as it's not my business to try to convince others of the moral legitimacy of my marriage. Frankly, I couldn't care less whether others consider my marriage to be spiritually or morally "legitimate."

I do however, enjoy the protection of the law when it comes to recognition of my civil state of marriage. And I don't see why other consenting adults shouldn't have the same privileges, protections, and obligations.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It this pushes through, this is big deal as New York is the premier city of the nation and the its cultural and intellectual center.

Shhhhhhh, the people in Austin will hear you...

Rakhel

Right now they are just collecting names for the petition to put before the Assembly so that it can be drawn into a bill and then presented to the public for a vote. Then it still has to be amended to make the religious right happy(which might never happen). You forget New York state basically relies on the vote of New York city, which is predominately Catholic and Jewish.
While it may not matter how many names they get on the petition, those two groups will have the strongest say-so as to how the vote goes.

While I don't have a problem with gays marrying, those two groups do. I don't have high hopes for this passing.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Cheer up. Even if it doesn't pass, it will still hopefully make the common citizen be aware of the matter a bit more and ask himself if he really wants to let things remain as they are now.

Rakhel

Timothy Dolan, the archbishop of New York, opposes same-sex marriages.
Ultimately, we need to make clear that this is not about “equal rights” or “discrimination”. Same sex couples have the right to live as they wish, but nobody has the right to re-define marriage for all of society. Please take action today to defend marriage.
Same-Sex “Marriage” « Stepping Out Of The Boat

As for the Chabad movement within New York and beyond...the answer is as clear as what is written in the Torah. "Man shall not lay with another man.'

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_851764.html

New York's very popular governor (78% acceptance rating) announced that he has launched a campaign to have same-sex marriage approved by the New York Legislature. According to survey, this proposed measure has support of 58% of New Yorkers. It this pushes through, this is big deal as New York is the premier city of the nation and the its cultural and intellectual center.

But why? Please speculate why would the governor and people of New York do that. Don't they know it is a sin and the Apostle Paul did not like it? The support is 58%; there can't be that many gay people in the city of 12 million. Straights must also be supporting this campaign. Why would they do that? Choose:

a. They know it is a sin and they are bad people who just want God to get angry.

b. They are tired of these sin/abomination ek ek, and they just want to support the rights of all New Yorkers.

They believe that discrimination harms everyone, and ending discrimination benefits everyone?

They're fundamentally decent people?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Right now they are just collecting names for the petition to put before the Assembly so that it can be drawn into a bill and then presented to the public for a vote. Then it still has to be amended to make the religious right happy(which might never happen). You forget New York state basically relies on the vote of New York city, which is predominately Catholic and Jewish.
While it may not matter how many names they get on the petition, those two groups will have the strongest say-so as to how the vote goes.

While I don't have a problem with gays marrying, those two groups do. I don't have high hopes for this passing.

Actually, as this poll shows, both Catholics and Jews are more supportive of gay marriage, with a large majority of Jews supporting it.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
I seriously cannot understand why we must vote on giving human rights to all people. The very fact that we have to vote on it somehow suggests to me that we have failed as a species on this issue.

:yes: Absolutely. I believe that homosexuals are no different then heterosexuals as humans, they simply have different preferences and deserve the same rights. I see nothing wrong in loving someone of the same-sex as long as both are of consenting age. If you truly love someone you should be able to marry them.

E=mc²

Certainly, they are human beings, we all deserve the same rights.

I'm sick and tired of religious homophobia, it's still outright bigotry whether it's written in the Bible or not. And there is no reason at all why we should respect it just because it is written in your Holy Book.

AmyLeona

Marriage (religious/spiritual and legal) for all.
The rights given to those married should be given to those in civil unions.

Antiochian

Rationalist
Yes, I believe in marriage equality for same-sex couples.

Marriage equality isn't about what Tim Pawlenty, Sarah Palin, President Obama, the Mormon (LDS) Church, the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Church, Fred Phelps, Chuck Norris, the Missouri Synod Lutherans, Democrats, the Church of Scientology, Republicans, or what anyone else thinks. What they think doesn't and shouldn't matter, because this is a civil rights issue.

To think that anyone, any government, would have the audacity to interfere in the most private area of millions of people's lives, and tell them who they can love. That's sick.

I've heard every excuse as to why gays shouldn't be allowed to marry, and each one is nothing more than the invention and propaganda of twisted, fearful, indoctrinated, hate-filled minds.