• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you support marriage rights for homosexuals?

Do you support marriage rights for homosexuals?

• Yes

Votes: 99 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • I don't know/Other

Votes: 8 6.7%

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The whole "issue" is a tempest in a teakettle, if you ask me.
I suspect the religious right is using it to whip the frightened masses into an anti-liberal frenzy.
I'm more cynical than you....I think they're sincere.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
brother, how come you support homosexual marriage?

I think we should discuss this somewhere else, as we will talk a lot about the Quran and Hadiths etc.. and i don't think this is the purpose of the thread at all.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Is that what you really think or were you being sarcastic?

Yes I was being serious. In the Holy Quran sodomy is rejected. Men and women are expected to marry. Culturally, gay unions are rejected in Muslim society.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
i think this post says it all. do you have any other reason England, or just that. (not being rude, i'm just asking if there is any other reason, i keep hearing this one all the time)
Because there is not one single legitimate legal reason to ban same sex marriage.

Draka

Wonder Woman
i think this post says it all. do you have any other reason England, or just that. (not being rude, i'm just asking if there is any other reason, i keep hearing this one all the time)

Considering that a marriage is a legal contract between two individuals, whom supposedly love one another and wish to spend their lives together and care for each other, there really is no other reason needed. Marriage doesn't have anything to do with ability to procreate as children are not a requirement (or even a possibility for many) for heterosexual couples. So that argument can't be used with homosexual couples. Religious beliefs differ as widely as tastes in music and are but mere opinions that should only affect the lives of those who believe them. Therefore they should have nothing to do with the legality of same sex marriage either. Since there is not one valid argument against legal same sex marriage, only one simple valid argument in support of it is needed, and since there is many to choose from, one is all a person really needs to state.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Love and intimacy between two people shouldn't be determined by gender. In cases of marriage, this should be at least be legal and recognizable as a valid civil union to which all the benefits of marriage are upheld to the same standards that heterosexual couples enjoy.

kutulu

because(gay or not) they are human beings and have a right to be with the ones they love.
if you really hate gay ppl just let them be gay. its not like they can reproduce.
is them being gay hurting you in some way? in fact is it even any of your business what another person does with their life?
are you aware that a gay jew has declared he is going to run for president of united states! perhaps he will move to make muslim marriage illegal because it offends him...

cmon now...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
28 to 1, so far. Seems pretty conclusive to me. :)

Evidently some people with very limited ideas of human sexuality still have some issues to work through.

We should try to be patient, I suppose.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes I was being serious.

I wonder why you felt you should share that. And why you felt you have any kind of authority on saying who is Muslim and who is not.

In the Holy Quran sodomy is rejected. Men and women are expected to marry.

Yes indeed, And?

I'm sure you can tell the difference between me supporting the right of people to do something, and between me thinking this thing is right or wrong. But in case you don't: Just because i think its wrong, doesn't in itself mean i should be trying to eliminate people's right in doing it.

And for further info, there are other texts that are supposedly part of my religion that suggests applying punishment, but i happen to reject them based on certain grounds.

Culturally, gay unions are rejected in Muslim society.

Which is completely irrelevant.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
I wonder why you felt you should share that. And why you felt you have any kind of authority on saying who is Muslim and who is not.

Yes indeed, And?

I'm sure you can tell the difference between me supporting the right of people to do something, and between me thinking this thing is right or wrong. But in case you don't: Just because i think its wrong, doesn't in itself mean i should be trying to eliminate people's right in doing it.

And for further info, there are other texts that are supposedly part of my religion that suggests applying punishment, but i happen to reject them based on certain grounds.

Which is completely irrelevant.

Dude I was commenting on what you said. When esalem said "why do you support homosexuality brother?" You told him that you two would discuss it privately. Regardless of your reason, being gay and a Muslim supporting it is against the norm. Your religion is relevant because Muslims at least orthodox muslims are staunch against homosexuality. Its relevant because its.more surprising to see a muslim supporting homosexuality than a christian.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

The core of it is that if two adult people who are otherwise unattached want to marry each other, it is very hard to even imagine a good reason for someone else to disapprove.

Odds are that they know what they are doing and how significant it is for their happiness better than anyone else. Finding a mate is an important, very personal decision.

I wonder if you can present your case against homosexual marriage without necessarily relying on scripture to support it. It seems to me that Muslims (and Mormons, and a few others) object to homosexuality largely due to a strong and perhaps excessive attachment to an ideal of family that includes bearing children. It is a beautiful ideal, to be sure. But to impose it on people who don't share it is just wrong.

Last edited: