• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you support marriage rights for homosexuals?

Do you support marriage rights for homosexuals?

• Yes

Votes: 99 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • I don't know/Other

Votes: 8 6.7%

• Total voters

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
My personal definition of marriage is more spiritual than government-defined, but I definitely believe that whatever contract that consenting adults want to enter into should be legal as long as no one else's rights are infringed, and no one else is forced against their will to subsidize such a contract.

So in other words, if consenting adults wish to form a relationship contractually and call it a marriage - have at it.

And good luck to you. Hope your life is happy and fulfilling.

This doesn't mean that I personally share their beliefs or think their life choices are necessarily wise or morally sound. But that's not the point. I could say the same about any number of people and relationships, of every sort and they could, and often do, say the same about me and my relationships. But the bottom line is - it's not my business to get in other people's private business.

Last edited:

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Dude I was commenting on what you said. When esalem said "why do you support homosexuality brother?" You told him that you two would discuss it privately. Regardless of your reason, being gay and a Muslim supporting it is against the norm. Your religion is relevant because Muslims at least orthodox muslims are staunch against homosexuality. Its relevant because its.more surprising to see a muslim supporting homosexuality than a christian.

Regardless of my reason? You didn't get my reason from the last post?

First, i didn't say my religion wasn't relevant, i said culture is, you should've read my post more carefully.

Second, i don't support homosexuality, what i support is people not getting oppressed. If they want to do that its up to them, that doesn't mean i'm supporting what they do, merely their right in doing it.

Last edited:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Homosexuality has been around since we climbed out of the Trees,its not a choice,people don't just decide to be Gay for the heck of it,why people fear it i have no idea,BTW i have no choice in being straight so its just part of nature.

do you have any evidence in support of homosexuality existing ever since you climbed out of trees?

muslims do not believe in 'climbing out of trees'. where as with homosexuality islamic belief tells that the first homosexual people were those of Prophet Lot alayhi salam, and now the people of Prophet Muhamed salallahu alayhi we salam.

if being straight and homosexual is not a choice, then what determines you to be heterosexual or homosexual?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
i think you should 'cause everyone has a right to be happy. religion has stopped this for too long and tbh i think it is right for people to marry who they love even if its the same sex as them xxx

well i don't. i would like to make an example of how what you've said is wrong, but people will start going off at me. so no point in doing that. you too won't change your mind anyway.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I do as well. :yes:

(In fact, I'm hoping I'll end up in the bridal party!)

i don't know what a bridal party is, but since the word 'bridal' is mentioned, i'd like to ask, how does that work in a gay marriage?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
do you have any evidence in support of homosexuality existing ever since you climbed out of trees?

Check out Wiki,there are other sources aswell,i think this should suffice though:
Homosexual behavior in animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

muslims do not believe in 'climbing out of trees'. where as with homosexuality islamic belief tells that the first homosexual people were those of Prophet Lot alayhi salam, and now the people of Prophet Muhamed salallahu alayhi we salam.

Is there any proof that the Homosexual people of Lot were the first Homosexuals? i think though if you check out early Greek,Roman and Egyptian history you will find plenty of evidence:

2400 BCE

if being straight and homosexual is not a choice, then what determines you to be heterosexual or homosexual?

I'm no scientist but having had a freind who was Gay i would simply say thats the way he was born

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Homosexuality is very much a fact of existence, Eselam. It has been observed in animals and has been well recorded since ancient times.

I keep being surprised by how widespread evolution-denying is. But let's leave that for the proper forum.

Are you saying that after Lot there was a huge time period without homosexuals? I don't understand the last part of what you said. Prophet Muhamed is the Muhamed we all heard about, I assume? Do you mean that something about his message or his time somehow counters homosexuality?

Social influences, to an extent. Genetic tendencies, from what research indicates. Some biological factors. Ultimately, the causes are not well understood yet. But it is very clear already that it isn't something that people choose to be.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

First, i didn't say my religion wasn't relevant, i said culture is, you should've read my post more carefully.

Second, i don't support homosexuality, what i support is people not getting oppressed. If they want to do that its up to them, that doesn't mean i'm supporting what they do, merely their right in doing it.
I admire someone who supports others individual rights despite their own personal religious beliefs.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
i don't know what a bridal party is, but since the word 'bridal' is mentioned, i'd like to ask, how does that work in a gay marriage?
Traditionally, in a Western wedding, the bridal party is made up of the bride and her attendants, usually a maid of honour and (depending on the size of the wedding) several bridesmaids.

When two women marry, there are two brides, so two bridal parties.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I admire someone who supports others individual rights despite their own personal religious beliefs.

Me too.

Call me whatever you want behind closed doors, but don't mess with my rights as a tax-paying adult citizen. That's why I have nothing but the utmost respect for views expressed by members like Kathryn and Badran.

Live and let live, y'all.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"

Your reasons could be expressed or hidden that is the point.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I'm no scientist but having had a freind who was Gay i would simply say thats the way he was born

the link you provided contains no evidence in support of what you claimed, to which i made a question to you.

i do not dissagree with you about homosexuality in the egyptians and romans etc, i think Prophet Lot alayhi salam lived before the egyptians and romans and greeks etc.

i'll ask you a question, if your child has a baby and rather than teach that baby that heterosexuality is right, you teach it that homosexuality is right, do you believe that that child will grow up homosexual?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
i'll ask you a question, if your child has a baby and rather than teach that baby that heterosexuality is right, you teach it that homosexuality is right, do you believe that that child will grow up homosexual?

Eselam, why would you assume that to happen? I've never heard of parents teaching their children that homosexuality is right or normal (as opposed to heterosexuality) and yet there are a lot of homosexuals in the world.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Homosexuality is very much a fact of existence, Eselam. It has been observed in animals and has been well recorded since ancient times.

agreed, but does homosexuality in animals somehow imply that it is natural for humans according to you?

I keep being surprised by how widespread evolution-denying is. But let's leave that for the proper forum.

yes it is widespread, muslims do not believe in the ape to human theory.

Are you saying that after Lot there was a huge time period without homosexuals?

i will need to look up the hadith collections and give you a more precise islamic view point to that question, but from a vague memory i think that it was only during the time of Prophet Lot and Muhamed that homosexuality was public. maybe it always existed since then but it was kept hidden.

I don't understand the last part of what you said. Prophet Muhamed is the Muhamed we all heard about, I assume? Do you mean that something about his message or his time somehow counters homosexuality?

yes i meant this Muhamed that muslims believe is the last mesenger of God. i think my above reply answers this part too.

Social influences, to an extent. Genetic tendencies, from what research indicates. Some biological factors. Ultimately, the causes are not well understood yet. But it is very clear already that it isn't something that people choose to be.

so it is not fully 'a natural thing' but it is a result of living influences.

what do you mean by gender tendencies and how does that work in a homosexual person whose both parents were 100% heterosexual?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Traditionally, in a Western wedding, the bridal party is made up of the bride and her attendants, usually a maid of honour and (depending on the size of the wedding) several bridesmaids.

When two women marry, there are two brides, so two bridal parties.

ok thanks for the explanation, so how would a bridal party work in a gay marriage? by gay i mean a male couple? and vice versa for a groom party (if that exists) in a lesbian marriage?

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I hope you don't mind if I jump in. :)

I'm going to say, "No." Keeping in mind that my reason for believing this is based on personal experience:

My brother was raised with 3 other siblings in a home by two WWII generation parents. The word "gay" wasn't even whispered. It wasn't bashed ~ it just simply wasn't an idea that was entertained. Heterosexuality was naturally assumed and expected.

When he realized he didn't like women, he figured it was God's way of telling him he was destined to be a Catholic priest. It took him a while, but after must study and reflection, he eventually figured out he was gay.

The rest of us are straight. We were raised in the same environment and by the same set of parents. Why is he different?