• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you support marriage rights for homosexuals?

Do you support marriage rights for homosexuals?

• Yes

Votes: 99 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • I don't know/Other

Votes: 8 6.7%

• Total voters

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I support it. For one, marriage is a convention in many cultures and religions, so along with that whole "separation of church and state" thing, it doesnt really matter from any individual religious perspective, it's mainly a civil matter.

vnct

Do you support marriage rights for homosexuals? I do!
i personally don't even support marriage rights for heterosexuals, unless it be strictly for legal reasons of child custody or property ownership. i view that the couple is actually marrying the government when entering into a legal marriage contract with each other under the authority of the government.

my father is in a same-gender marriage with a male partner. my father is age 74 and his partner is age 48. however, their most recent ceremony (about a month ago) was also used as a legal maneuver to override a parol restriction that was intentioned to keep them from living with each other, since they are both also child offenders, one convicted and one not.

my father's marriage partner was just released from prison after twenty years for child kidnapping/molestation (they strictly prefer preteen boys, no girls), and the parole officer had restricted them from living together for the duration of the parole. however, they had a second, official same-gender marriage ceremony a month ago in chicago which overrode the parole restriction, so now they are living together.

i understand that this does not represent the typical same-gender marriage, but in this case it has an adverse effect. as my father's son, i also lose half of my inheritance rights to his same-gender marriage partner. my father is attracted to him because he is my age. my father is also attracted to me, but i am not attracted to my father. my father's marriage partner has not expressed attraction towards me, although he has expressed a preference for a three-way marriage between he, my father and a preteen littly boy, as was expressed by prosecutors in a law court.

i personally have never been tempted into homosexual pedophilia as is their inclination. while most will differentiate between homosexuality and pedophilia, they do not. it all blends together into one unit for them. homosexual pedophilia is neither strictly homosexuality nor strictly pedophilia. same-gender marriage also opens the way to child adoption for homosexual pedophiles, if unconvicted, although my father's marriage partner was convicted (having served 20 years) while my father is unconvicted.

my father's marriage partner is 6'5" at 300 pounds, but prefers preteen little boys. he had kidnapped, drugged, sodomized and filmed an 11 yr old boy from another state on my father's property, for which he served 20 years. he has one year of parole remaining and is a registered sex offender. he is homosexual pedophile and prefers strictly boys, no girls. he does not differentiate between homosexuality and pedophilia like the rest of us, as they are one unit to him. he is instead homosexual pedophile.

Last edited:

Draka

Wonder Woman
vnct, I can't believe you outed all that. Most would be too ashamed to mention something like that being in their family or connected to them. It's disturbing to say the least. I also don't believe their relationship and circumstances, or even opinions on sexuality, represent the norm. I can see why you have certain ideas about marriage though. Do you have much contact with your father at all?

vnct

vnct, I can't believe you outed all that. Most would be too ashamed to mention something like that being in their family or connected to them. It's disturbing to say the least. I also don't believe their relationship and circumstances, or even opinions on sexuality, represent the norm. I can see why you have certain ideas about marriage though. Do you have much contact with your father at all?
i have limited contact with my father and his marriage partner. i go out to eat with them about once every month or two, although our discussions tend to be very superficial, insofar as they are unable to discuss certain issues with me. they can't hear about religion from me or speak about their sexuality to me, for example. we talk about corporations and politics. that's about it.

now i'm writing a book on the nature of the psyche, it's properties and functions. maybe they will be able to read that, if i complete it while my father is still living. it will also contain principles regarding spirituality and morality. they are not open/able to discuss these things in open conversation, however. they have subconscious psychological blocks.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
I am not a great fan of marriage as an institution but I believe homosexuals should have the same rights as anyone else, including the right to marry if they want.

nnmartin

Only just noticed this thread and I'll admit I've only read a few posts so apologies if this question has been discussed already:

I've nothing against homosexuals but why would they want to get married anyway , why not just stay as a couple?

Can someone explain the logic to me - thanks.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
Only just noticed this thread and I'll admit I've only read a few posts so apologies if this question has been discussed already:

I've nothing against homosexuals but why would they want to get married anyway , why not just stay as a couple?

Can someone explain the logic to me - thanks.
Because being married in law gives couples legal rights that they might not otherwise have.

nnmartin

such as what?

I guess there is the children issue , adoption etc. , assets - how would this work with a same-sex couple?

I am so out of touch with marriage - have been a bachelor all my life!

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
such as what?

Tax Benefits

• Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.
  • Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.
Estate Planning Benefits

• Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.
  • Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.
  • Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.
  • Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.
Government Benefits

• Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.
  • Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.
  • Receiving public assistance benefits.
Employment Benefits

• Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.
  • Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.
  • Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.
  • Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.
Medical Benefits

• Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
  • Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.
Death Benefits

• Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
  • Making burial or other final arrangements.
Family Benefits

• Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.
  • Applying for joint foster care rights.
  • Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
  • Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.
Housing Benefits

• Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."
  • Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.
Consumer Benefits

• Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.
  • Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.
  • Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.
Other Legal Benefits and Protections

• Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium (loss of intimacy).
  • Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).
  • Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.
  • Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.
  • Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.
  • Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.
SOURCE

nnmartin

It certainly opens a whole can of worms - especially the family parts.

Is it legal where you are?

Where I'm living even the idea of a woman working and the man staying at home to look after the kids is met with derision and laughter. (I am in a third world country )

McBell

Admiral Obvious
It certainly opens a whole can of worms - especially the family parts.

Is it legal where you are?

Where I'm living even the idea of a woman working and the man staying at home to look after the kids is met with derision and laughter. (I am in a third world country )
What "can of worms" does it open?

nnmartin

well the whole standard definition of family as being mum, dad and two kids for a start.

I'm not saying it isn't possible but I am sure there are many people out there who do.

Trey of Diamonds

well the whole standard definition of family as being mum, dad and two kids for a start.

I'm not saying it isn't possible but I am sure there are many people out there who do.

You say you're in South East Asia, would you mind describing a typical family structure to us? And not just Mom, Dad and Kids, how many members of a family live together? How close do relatives live? I think you may find that there is no standard definition of what a family is? There are a few cultural norms to choose from but that's about it.