• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think Pope is wise in making this statement even in quote?

GloriaPatri

greatcalgarian said:
In China, those accepted Christianity were forced to get rid of their ancestor respect cutsom as well, getting rid of the pagan idols of the Chinese, by force actually....:D
No, Christians barely make up the population of China. Most of the population of China follow Chinese folk religions.

The question here is "Mohammed is nothing but evil and inhuman" that is unacceptable.
No where in the quote does it say Muhammed is evil and inhumane.

The Pope is calling Mohammed resorting to violenct to spread Islam as wrong, but has he looked at the Catholics in the early period when Constantine accepted Christianity?
Christianity was spread largely through peaceful means (by missionaries).

God bless.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
GloriaPatri said:

God bless.
And what about Europe? I can't think of a single example where Christianity was spread through peaceful, missionary work? In the Balkans, it was through war, persecution, and extermination. In Western Europe, especially in Germany, is was through persecution and extermination. In Eastern Europe, it was through persecution and extermination.

All of these pale in comparrison to what was done in South America, though. Thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands were slaughtered in the Church's attempt to Christianize the people. North America, same story but with less bloodshed - still, though, the Native Americans certainly weren't converted entirely peacefully.

Then you have the Near East, which is another example similar in scope to that of South America. In that region, as in Europe, the violence even continued when most people were Christian, it was just manifested as trying to convert people to, or exterminate those from, a particular Christian sect.

greatcalgarian

GloriaPatri said:
No, Christians barely make up the population of China. Most of the population of China follow Chinese folk religions.

No where in the quote does it say Muhammed is evil and inhumane.

God bless.

I am not talking about mass conversion. What I am saying is that those Chinese converted to Christianity were forced to do what the Muslim converts were told to do.

Read the quote of the emperor again, it is double negative talk.....:p

Largely through peacheful means. I agreed, but largely is subjective, perhaps it is 60/40?

greatcalgarian

kai said:
i think ist a missunderstanding he is very academic and his speech was not understood

I do not think so.:p

There are MSM that analyze his speech, talking about his fear of Islam gaining strength and Catholic losing ground, and he is trying to say that Islam spread by force is no good, and should spread by peace, and be given equal competition etc etc.

GloriaPatri

Djamila said:
And what about Europe? I can't think of a single example where Christianity was spread through peaceful, missionary work? In the Balkans, it was through war, persecution, and extermination. In Western Europe, especially in Germany, is was through persecution and extermination. In Eastern Europe, it was through persecution and extermination.

No, it was spread mainly by missionaries.

All of these pale in comparrison to what was done in South America, though. Thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands were slaughtered in the Church's attempt to Christianize the people. North America, same story but with less bloodshed - still, though, the Native Americans certainly weren't converted entirely peacefully.

This was done by Spain - not the Church. In fact, the Church condemned these actions.

Then you have the Near East, which is another example similar in scope to that of South America. In that region, as in Europe, the violence even continued when most people were Christian, it was just manifested as trying to convert people to, or exterminate those from, a particular Christian sect.

I take it you mean the Middle East. Christians were mostly passive in the Middle East. Muslims and Jews were the ones who were historically the most violent.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
GloriaPatri said:

No, it was spread through persecution. In Bosnia, for example, the persecution historically came from Roman Catholics. The most infamous example of the first conversion, from paganism, took place in the city that is now known as Livno. In that massacre, more than 2,000 Bosnians were slaughtered and less than 300 survivors were converted. Records celebrating this great achievement and rewards presented to the missionaries who carried it out are still stored at the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina and at the Vatican.

Once a significant number of Bosnians had been converted to Roman Catholicism, but their pagan families and friends were still being slaughtered, the Roman Catholic Church in Bosnia collapsed. The Bosnian Church developed, which held vaguely Bogumil beliefs and this Church was declared heretical by the Roman Catholic Church. This is when the persecution truly began in earnest. At several points (1094, most notably), more than 50% of the population of Bosnia and Herzegovina was exterminated by forces sent by Rome.

Persecution later came at the hands of Orthodox Christians, most notably Saint Sava who was Sainted in part for his campaign against the Bosnian Church and Roman Catholics. His forces along slaughtered many Bosnians - mainly in Srebrenica, Zepa, and the city now known as Trebinje.

Bt the time the Ottomans arrived, Bosnia had been decimated to such a point that most of the country fell to the Muslims in less than 2 months. People converted to Islam immediately, historians suggest as a means of securing their own survival. The city of Solu (modern-day Tuzla) even sent out a messenger saying the people had converted to Islam and the Ottoman soldiers were welcome, before they even arrived.

That's Bosnia alone, and you will not find a country in Europe with a less bloody history.

I take it you mean the Middle East. Christians were mostly passive in the Middle East. Muslims and Jews were the ones who were historically the most violent.

Tell that to the monophysites in present-day Egypt.

You really need to take a history course, and quickly, Gloria. :)

Ody

GloriaPatri said:

In some cases...

The victims of the Teutonic Knights beg to differ... as do the pagan temples that where shut down in Rome.

GloriaPatri

Djamila said:
No, it was spread through persecution. In Bosnia, for example, the persecution historically came from Roman Catholics. The most infamous example of the first conversion, from paganism, took place in the city that is now known as Livno. In that massacre, more than 2,000 Bosnians were slaughtered and less than 300 survivors were converted. Records celebrating this great achievement and rewards presented to the missionaries who carried it out are still stored at the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina and at the Vatican.

Once a significant number of Bosnians had been converted to Roman Catholicism, but their pagan families and friends were still being slaughtered, the Roman Catholic Church in Bosnia collapsed. The Bosnian Church developed, which held vaguely Bogumil beliefs and this Church was declared heretical by the Roman Catholic Church. This is when the persecution truly began in earnest. At several points (1094, most notably), more than 50% of the population of Bosnia and Herzegovina was exterminated by forces sent by Rome.

Persecution later came at the hands of Orthodox Christians, most notably Saint Sava who was Sainted in part for his campaign against the Bosnian Church and Roman Catholics. His forces along slaughtered many Bosnians - mainly in Srebrenica, Zepa, and the city now known as Trebinje.

Bt the time the Ottomans arrived, Bosnia had been decimated to such a point that most of the country fell to the Muslims in less than 2 months. People converted to Islam immediately, historians suggest as a means of securing their own survival. The city of Solu (modern-day Tuzla) even sent out a messenger saying the people had converted to Islam and the Ottoman soldiers were welcome, before they even arrived.

That's Bosnia alone, and you will not find a country in Europe with a less bloody history.

You're missing my point, entirely. Jesus didn't do any things like conquering and forcing people to convert to Christianity. Muhammed did. End of story.

Anyway, you can show me several individual examples of how Christians slaughtered people of other faiths and forced them to convert. It still doesn't change the fact that Christianity was spread mainly through missionaries - especially in Western Europe.

kai

ragamuffin
i will raise my head above the parapet and say Britain and ireland was converted by st columba and St patrick, and that Bosnians fought against the muslim invasion of the Balkans at the battle of Varna

kai

ragamuffin
Love is blind I love President of Iran

Just for you GC
0,1020,552636,00.jpg

kai

ragamuffin
Djamila said:

Tell that to the monophysites in present-day Egypt.

You really need to take a history course, and quickly, Gloria. :)

what no mention of Stjepan II Kotromanic

sindbad5

GloriaPatri said:
You're missing my point, entirely. Jesus didn't do any things like conquering and forcing people to convert to Christianity. Muhammed did. End of story.
"End of story" ... WoW

and may you enlight us when and where Mohammed did that?

another thing i want to say; Jesus that you make proud of actually is my prophet - as a muslim - and i'm proud of being from his nation as i'm proud of being from Mohammed nation, the same nation that belive in one and only one god.

Jesus was sent to guide the people of his nation - jews, and Mohamed, the last prophet, was sent to continue and to complete the message of Jesus and all previous Prophets (peace be upon them all) to guide the entire nations.

if you so much intrested in who's Mohammed, try to read some from his biography, i'm so much sure you'll find someone else rather than the one in your imagination

GloriaPatri said:
Anyway, you can show me several individual examples of how Christians slaughtered people of other faiths and forced them to convert. It still doesn't change the fact that Christianity was spread mainly through missionaries - especially in Western Europe.
i tell you what? christianity is very beautiful, and so also islam and judiasm, ok?
talking about history in this matter will not help so much, but as you mentioned islam, muslims are angeles comparing to what some chrestians did in the name of chrestianity, especially the catholic vatican.
we can open an endless discussion about that, are we have to?

in egypt they say: pray on the prophet, and each one has a prophet to make a pray on him, also egyptians say: the faith is for allah, and the homeland is for all

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
sindbad5 said:
talking about history in this matter will not help so much, but as you mentioned islam, muslims are angeles comparing to what some chrestians did in the name of chrestianity, especially the catholic vatican.
we can open an endless discussion about that, are we have to?

I'm sure you can, just not in this thread. If you wish to tell us Catholics how much worse we are to Muslims, then I would personally bow out. Not because I agree, but because I don't see what comes of it.

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to what you think comes of such discussions?

If you wish to make such comparisons do so in the proper forum and link us to it here.