• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you understand the New Testament

free spirit

We are starting from two very different views, and so I doubt anything useful can come from me in this discussion (although I have been following it). I simply wanted to let you know why you find the word daughter in your translations, although it is not technically in the texts.
You obviously have read the post, so what do you make of these verses.

AK4

You suggesteed it -- not me.
You tell me why we should do them.

Really we shouldnt. We should be worshipping in spirit. Nothing physical can save you (rituals).

I don't believe it is a deliberate mistranslation. Hell is the closest we can come, culturally, to the Hebrew concept of Sheol. Sometimes translation isn't very exact, because there's no way the exact transliteration would make sense to us.

You dont?! Read up on why the church made hades to be the hell they portrray it to be. The whole concept of hell is nowhere close to what sheol meant originally.

Nope. Sorry to disappoint you, but, no.

Well, yes, nothing, except for loosely. The parable of the yeast tells us that God is willing to get dirty for us (the understanding being that we cannot purify ourselves enough for God). It's about reconciliation.

If that happens to coincide with the idea of trashing tightly-held practices that "insure" our purity, then it does dovetail with the other quite nicely.

BTW, what makes you think that "all parables mean the same thing?" What do you think they mean?

Mr 4:13 -And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?
Do you get that? If you truly know this parable then you can know all parables. Yet you still dont know this one.

Ill give you a clue----there are two catagories being talked about.

That's right, it's dam* frightening! Because if we don't have free will, then we are not free to love God.

Thats just the regular parrotting of everyone who lacks understanding. I know i have no free will yet i know i love God deeply for giving me all that He has. He caused me to love Him not the other way around. "the goodness of God leads you to repentance". Do you see who causes who to come to who? I truly understand this

Who else compiled the Bible but Christians???

Heres just one example and clue---Septuagiant (i know its spelled wrong:shrug:)

As a member of the clergy, I'm not only familiar with the Bible, but with all other parts of Christian Tradition, as well. Yes. Christian Tradition holds that Christ reigns at God's right hand.

You avoided my question? Does Christ riegn for ever and ever?

AK4

Freespirit
I do not have to obey the law, for through Christ i became the law.

?????????

If i can disobey him, It certainly proof that I have free will

Wow you have even more power than Christ Himself because even He says
Joh 5:30 - I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
and He says of us

Joh 15:5 - I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Really we shouldnt. We should be worshipping in spirit. Nothing physical can save you (rituals).
Worship isn't designed to save us, in any case. Worship is designed to open us to a transforming relationship with God. The rituals help us do that.
You dont?! Read up on why the church made hades to be the hell they portrray it to be. The whole concept of hell is nowhere close to what sheol meant originally.
Our whole concept of "hell" comes from Dante. There is no English equivalent for "Sheol."
It means literally, "a place of shadows." But, as far as I'm aware, there is no specific teaching or idea with regard to specifics about the place. It's just "where the dead people live," in a manner of speaking. Gehenna is a different concept, and refers to the valley outside Jerusalem, where the dump was. They kept it constantly burning. The Greek Hades became associated with this "dead" place that always burned. What's your point? That the concept of hell is wrong? I agree. So do lots and lots of Christians -- including most other church leaders, scholars and theologians.
Mr 4:13 -And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?
Do you get that? If you truly know this parable then you can know all parables. Yet you still dont know this one.
LOL. You're proof-texting again, and, as usual, you got it wrong.
First of all, we were talking about Matthew, so let's stick with Matthew for clarity's sake, shall we:
A better place to start is Mk 4:11, and continuing through 13. This is borrowed by Matthew, and placed in chapter 13, as part of his sermon. 13:11-13: "To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For to those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away. The reason I speak to them in parables is that "seeing they do not perceive, and hearing they do not listen, nor do they understand."'"
Mark puts a slightly different spin on it.

Jesus teaches in parables in order to entice us to see and to hear. those of us who 'get it" receive deeper insight. Those who don't "get it" are just confused.

This has nothing to do with the message of the parables being the same. It has everything to do with how the parables work. Parables are riddles. If you are able to get one, you should be able to get them all, since they all employ the same device: the Reversal.

That's all the text means here.
Ill give you a clue----there are two catagories being talked about.
I do not intend to be drug into a convoluted debate about your understanding of the parable. I understand the parable. I have taken two courses from a noted parable scholar, who has authored at least two books on the subject.
Thats just the regular parrotting of everyone who lacks understanding. I know i have no free will yet i know i love God deeply for giving me all that He has. He caused me to love Him not the other way around. "the goodness of God leads you to repentance". Do you see who causes who to come to who? I truly understand this
God invites, but can not cause. The former encourages love. The latter is coersion, and not love.
Heres just one example and clue---Septuagiant (i know its spelled wrong:shrug:)
The LXX (just subtract your final "a") is the Greek translation of the Hebrew texts. It was undertaken by 70 scholars (hence, the name Septuagint). Yes, Christians used the LXX in compiling the Bible. But they had the final say in what was "in" and what was "out." In fact, there is more included in the LXX than made it into the Protestant canon. The stories about the 70 translators being sequestered from each other, and yet coming up with the exact same translation is legend.
You avoided my question? Does Christ riegn for ever and ever?
Not according to 1 Cor. 15:24. However, there are other references to the eternal reign of Christ than just that snippet of text. Since I don't subscribe to sola scriptura, I'm not bound to the Bible, but can avail myself of the whole Tradition.

sojourner

Ah, so it was a literal talking Serpent?
Rev 20:2
He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years;
According to the myth, a serpent talked to Eve. However, we understand the use of allegory in most mythic writing. Allegorically speaking, the serpent is a symbol, or a type -- not a literal animal. And speaking historically, the serpent is often a symbol of wisdom, not a symbol for Satan.

The imagery in Revelation has nothing to do with the imagery in Genesis. Two different traditions -- two different myths -- two different cultures.

AK4

Ak4,

Copout! Eve had the word of God given to her by Adam and is interesting to notice that when Eve told it to the serpent she changed the wording of it and this gave the clue to the serpent that this creature did not believe that God was good, that she could do better than Him, if you look deep into this story this is not only disobedience but treason.

Why cant people just believe the Word. Verse 14 So the Lord God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this..... Did God say that Eve was wrong for saying the serpent deceived her? No. Did Eve freely choose to deceive herself? Come on now.

"But I fear, lest by any means, AS the serpent BEGUILED [Gk: ‘DECEIVED’] Eve through HIS subtlety [craftiness]…" (II Cor. 11:3).

My take on this is that Jesus was equipped with the same weapon that humanity was equipped with at the confrontation in the Garden of Eden, the word of God and Jesus used it without any alterations or doubt “it is written” in the Garden it should have been “God said” so the serpent was not the cause of the fall but humanity’s misuse of God’s gift and that happens to be the same cause of our sins.

Really? I believe the Word says that Jesus had something from birth (human birth) no one else in history was ever given---the Spirit without measure. So where is that same weapon?

This verse is part of the context as well it identifies to whom this is addressed to.

Rom 9:13
As it is written, "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated."

It is directed to those that reject God’s gifts or to those that misuse them.

What?! To make it fit into your "context" you omit the rest to show it is directed at everyone showing that it is all dependant on God and not on someones volition or free will. You want context, ill give you context

18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden. (Doesnt that cover everyone, not just one category of people?) 19 One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" 20 But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?'" (Do just the non-elect say this to God? No) 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use? (this seems to cover everyone) 22 What if God, choosing (who is doing the choosing? God) to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath--prepared for destruction? 23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory-- (whoops, do you see God working out some plan and purpose here?) 24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles? (That sounds like everyone to me)

Meditate on Esau’s story, why did God liked him less? Esau was to have the heir’s primogeniture to inherit Isaac’s blessing but choose to exchange it for food. Why God did like Jacob better?

So once again you see God doing the choosing because who was chosen first Esau or Jacob? Wasnt Jacob chosen even before he was born? Who chose who now? And do you honestly think Jacob could have diverted this prophesy given to Abraham by doing something to take away his election? Come on now

AH! Universal Salvation, one of the most beautiful Pauline derived doctrines:shout, let look into this one because it contradict Jesus preaching, Not to mention the preaching of the other Apostles.
Mat 7:13
"Enter by the narrow gate; for wide [is] the gate and broad [is] the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.

So we have many of all men going into destruction. Do these ones have a Saviour? Notice that the Lord says “Enter by the narrow gate” choose that gate in preference of the broad gate, He did not say wait for me to choose what gate you must go and I’ll drag you through it.
God is Merciful thus He draws us all to His kingdom

Mat 7:14
Because narrow [is] the gate and difficult [is] the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

He told us of the good of our God and tell as of the great reward that awaits those that “Enter by the narrow gate”
Luk 13:24

"Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able.

Pauline doctrines huh? And contradicts? Oh if only people will learn that those who are resurrected to judgment will be chastised and then saved. Where do you wanna begin with this. Well learn that everlasting is not scriptural, many words should have been translated age-lasting instead of everlasting or eternal. Learn that there are ages or seasons for everything. Learn when Jesus said He was the Saviour of the world that He will not and cannot fail in the mission the His Father commissioned Him for. (Seriously do you believe that the Saviour will fail miserably at what He was commissioned for?) Learn that this is not the age for everyone to be saved? If Jesus came to save those who are lost, then those that will be lost in this age He will have to save after their judgment (the resurrection of the unjust/lost right?). etc etc etc.

AK4

Worship isn't designed to save us, in any case. Worship is designed to open us to a transforming relationship with God. The rituals help us do that.

It aint? Do you even make sense? Rituals in a sense only cause boasting and just as Paul put it, it can make you "fall from grace".

Our whole concept of "hell" comes from Dante.

Oh really? It didnt come from what the ancient egyptians believed which also incorporated the doctrine of immortal soul and the jews eventually molded it into their religion also like most religions

There is no English equivalent for "Sheol."

Going by your KJV we pit, grave and hell. Which one absolutely doesnt fit?

It means literally, "a place of shadows."

No it means the abode of the dead, imperceptible. Where did you get shadows from?

But, as far as I'm aware, there is no specific teaching or idea with regard to specifics about the place.

There isnt? What about the scriptures? Heres one of 31 verses that teach on it.

"Whatsoever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave [Heb: sheol], where you go"(Ecclesiastes 9:10).

It's just "where the dead people live,"

Dead people live. Do you see a contradiction here?

LOL. You're proof-texting again, and, as usual, you got it wrong.
First of all, we were talking about Matthew, so let's stick with Matthew for clarity's sake, shall we:
A better place to start is Mk 4:11, and continuing through 13. This is borrowed by Matthew, and placed in chapter 13, as part of his sermon. 13:11-13: "To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For to those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away. The reason I speak to them in parables is that "seeing they do not perceive, and hearing they do not listen, nor do they understand."'"
Mark puts a slightly different spin on it.

Exactly----"To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given." that "seeing they do not perceive, and hearing they do not listen, nor do they understand."'" Go back at that parable and see what the treasure in the field represents, what that pearl is. And notice the whats not being directly said of only the "called". hint hint

Jesus teaches in parables in order to entice us to see and to hear. those of us who 'get it" receive deeper insight. Those who don't "get it" are just confused.

You just quoted above why He spoke ONLY to the multitudes in parables. Why do we need you to try to interpret such a plain statement like this?

This has nothing to do with the message of the parables being the same. It has everything to do with how the parables work. Parables are riddles. If you are able to get one, you should be able to get them all, since they all employ the same device: the Reversal.

Another plain statement distorted by "the scholars". Dare i ask what the "reversal"is?

I do not intend to be drug into a convoluted debate about your understanding of the parable. I understand the parable. I have taken two courses from a noted parable scholar, who has authored at least two books on the subject.

Well in all sincerity, it seems as if you wasted your money.

God invites, but can not cause. The former encourages love. The latter is coersion, and not love.

God is the cause of everything. If God had decided not to do anything at from the very get go then we wouldnt be here at all. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp. The scriptures tells you ALL IS OF GOD. Is the scriptures lying?

Not according to 1 Cor. 15:24. However, there are other references to the eternal reign of Christ than just that snippet of text. Since I don't subscribe to sola scriptura, I'm not bound to the Bible, but can avail myself of the whole Tradition.

Well if its outside the scriptures i dont tend to put much faith in them yet sometimes they can help. Oh theres more than just 1 Cor 1:15 but at least you did get the answer right.

free spirit

to ak4 think about it!
????????? :shrug:

wow you have even more power than christ himself because even he says
joh 5:30 - i can of mine own self do nothing: As i hear, i judge: And my judgment is just; because i seek not mine own will, but the will of the father which hath sent
me.
you just do not get it do you? You speak like this because you do not know what is like to be in christ. Jesus said that he could not do wrong because the father was in him, likewise i am saying that i cannot do wrong because i am in christ.
or do you think that christ cannot keep me from doing wrong.
and he says of us

http://www.biblestudytools.com/onli...+15:5&version=kjv&st=1&sd=1&new=1&showtools=1
exactly what i said above. :d

sojourner

It aint? Do you even make sense? Rituals in a sense only cause boasting and just as Paul put it, it can make you "fall from grace".
Oh, they do? What about baptism? What about sharing the Lord's Supper? both are inherently humbling experiences. What about prayer?
You'll have to show me where in the Bible worship is presented as specifically a means of salvation, according to the particularly Christian theology of salvation.
Oh really? It didnt come from what the ancient egyptians believed which also incorporated the doctrine of immortal soul and the jews eventually molded it into their religion also like most religions
No, it came from Dante. Dante may have gotten from the Egyptians, but most Xians haven't studied Egyptology. Most Xians are familiar with the popular vision of hell, as formulated by Dante in his literary works.
Going by your KJV we pit, grave and hell. Which one absolutely doesnt fit?
I'm not going to be roped into playing Sesame Street games with Biblical language. Either present your argument, along with supporting evidence, and move on.
No it means the abode of the dead, imperceptible. Where did you get shadows from?
Sheol, the term in Hebrew means a grave or pit, was the place where the dead gathered, as thought by the early Hebrews, and was believed located beneath the earth, perhaps at the roots of mountains. The dead were thought to lead a conscious shadowy existence there, they were not in torment, but had neither hope nor satisfaction. Some thought they remained cut off from God.

Sheol, “the land of gloom and deep darkness” (Job 10:21).

These two are are from the Oxford Dictionary of World Religions, and
Briannica Online.

Suficient?
There isnt? What about the scriptures? Heres one of 31 verses that teach on it.

"Whatsoever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave [Heb: sheol], where you go"(Ecclesiastes 9:10).
I said "specific," as in, "we could formulate doctrinal statements from these."
Dead people live. Do you see a contradiction here?
No, I see a chopped up version of my post, which reads:
But, as far as I'm aware, there is no specific teaching or idea with regard to specifics about the place. It's just "where the dead people live," in a manner of speaking.
(Note: In a manner of speaking)
Exactly----"To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given." that "seeing they do not perceive, and hearing they do not listen, nor do they understand."'" Go back at that parable and see what the treasure in the field represents, what that pearl is. And notice the whats not being directly said of only the "called". hint hint
Please don't presume to teach me anything about the parables. I'm quite well-versed in them. Judging by your assertion that "if you know one, you will know them all," you, on the other hand, are not.
You just quoted above why He spoke ONLY to the multitudes in parables. Why do we need you to try to interpret such a plain statement like this?
Because you obviously can't do it on your own.
Another plain statement distorted by "the scholars". Dare i ask what the "reversal"is?
And the lookouts on the Titanic said, "Oh, look! A little patch of ice!" too.

The reversal, present in most of Jesus' teachings (including the parables) is the idea that Jesus is trying to get across. For example, in the parable of the leaven, dough is assumed to be good to eat. In those days, leaven wasn't like the yeast we use now. It was poison. The reversal is that the kingdom of God is like a poison. In other words, God became dirty for us.

free spirit

TO AK4 ON YOUR POST 247
You are making God to be a mounster, a psychopath, God is just, you should not believe reports of evil and lies about him, I understand Romans 9 - 11 to 29, and I have corrected it for you, no because I know Greek but I have the mind of Christ for it should read.
" for though the twins were not yet born, and had not done anything good or bad in order that God's purpose according to his character might stand, not because of works, but because of him who judges. it was said to her, the older will serve the younger. Just as it is written, Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated. What shall we say then? There is no justice with God, is there? May it never be! For he says to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I find mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I find compassion. So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who judges the heart. For the scripture says to Pharaoh, For this very purpose I raised you up, to demostrate you my power, and that my name might be proclaimed throughout the whole earth.
So then he has mercy on whom he approves and he hardens whom he dislikes. You will say to me then, why does he still find faults? On the contrary, who are you o man, who question the judgement of God?
..................part of verse 20 and verse 21 do not belong.........
what if God although willing to demostrate his wrath and to make his mercy known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath destined for destruction. and he did so in order that he might make known the riches of his character upon vessels of mercy, which he prepared beforehand for glory.
Even us, whom he also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among gentiles. As he says also in Hosea, I will call those who were not my people, my people. And her who was not beloved, beloved. And it shall be that in the place where it was said to them, you are not my people, there they shall be called sons of the living God.
And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel, Though the number of the sons of Israel be as the sand of the sea, it is the merciful that will be saved; for the Lord will execute his word upon the earth throughty and quickly. And just as Isaiah foretold, except the Lord of Sabaoth had left to us a posterity, we would have become as Sodom, and would have resembled Gomorrah."
Glory to God

'LUKE 8 - 18, "THEREFORE take care how you listen (or read); for whoever has, to him shall more be given; and whoever does not have, even what he thinks he has shall be taken away from him"

Last edited:

emiliano

AK4,
Pauline doctrines huh? And contradicts? Oh if only people will learn that those who are resurrected to judgment will be chastised and then saved. Where do you wanna begin with this. Well learn that everlasting is not scriptural, many words should have been translated age-lasting instead of everlasting or eternal.

Ohooo! The Aions, as you know I am a sucker for scriptures so where is this universal Salvation stated in scriptures I cited “broad [is] the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. So not all are going to eternal life after this present one, some are destroyed, and Mathew chapter 7 goes on to say “difficult [is] the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it” That is what the Mater said, few are those that find eternal life many a destroyed. So Jesus is not the saviour of all,
Learn that there are ages or seasons for everything. Learn when Jesus said He was the Saviour of the world that He will not and cannot fail in the mission the His Father commissioned Him for. (Seriously do you believe that the Saviour will fail miserably at what He was commissioned for?)
God forbid! Now who did Jesus came to saved?
Jhn 17:6
"I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word

Learn that this is not the age for everyone to be saved? If Jesus came to save those who are lost, then those that will be lost in this age He will have to save after their judgment (the resurrection of the unjust/lost right?). etc etc etc.
Sorry but the Master said :
Mat 15:24
But He answered and said, "I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

As I told you this is a beautiful doctrine and is based on Paul’s epistles Jesus never preached Universal Salvation and neither did the Apostle Paul, my only concern it that it can be taken as meaning that one can live whatever kind of life and that in the end Salvation awaits you, and I understand that to the follower of this doctrine even Satan will join the party, at a much later time, but he will be saved. How successful is this denomination? It is so lenient that it should fill their churches; I know that they are not, but do you have an idea of why is this so?

emiliano

According to the myth, a serpent talked to Eve. However, we understand the use of allegory in most mythic writing. Allegorically speaking, the serpent is a symbol, or a type -- not a literal animal. And speaking historically, the serpent is often a symbol of wisdom, not a symbol for Satan.

The imagery in Revelation has nothing to do with the imagery in Genesis. Two different traditions -- two different myths -- two different cultures.

You puzzled me, I thought that we Christian believe that scripture interprets scriptures, so if we want to find out what the serpent stands for in the allegory “He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan” Identifies it for me. Not to worry though because this allegory points out to many of the sins committed and if we take your view “speaking historically, the serpent is often a symbol of wisdom, not a symbol for Satan” and again staying within the Christian prospective Eve thought better of this creature wisdom than that of the Almighty creator of fall there is, can we add Idolatry to the list of sins represented in the allegory? Consider that Satan is said to want man’s worship no other creature apart from man and Satan have this desire, consider also that the main characteristic show by serpent is decisiveness and that Revelation 20 goes on to state “so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished” so I think that both traditions imagery are of the same creature.

emiliano

AK4,
Really? I believe the Word says that Jesus had something from birth (human birth) no one else in history was ever given---the Spirit without measure. So where is that same weapon?
Where scripture says this? I thought that prior to that Jesus was Baptized by John, then He was led up by the Spirit, He fasted and was ready for the confrontation. Jesus did not use any other gift other than “It is written” so really Jesus had what eve had “God said” and it was more than enough. Eve on the other hand thought that she had a better argument and added to the command.

“God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy”
this is a reference to what God replied to Moses, Moses asked of God and God was moved to mercy and God’s presence went with them. Then Moses asked to see God’s glory and God showed to Him.
How does this answer “As it is written, "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated."? What did Esau did wrong for God to hate him? How Jacob did obtain his blessing? What does Israel the m name that God gave to Jacob mean?

So once again you see God doing the choosing because who was chosen first Esau or Jacob? Wasnt Jacob chosen even before he was born? Who chose who now? And do you honestly think Jacob could have diverted this prophesy given to Abraham by doing something to take away his election? Come on now
Gen 32:26 Then the man said, "Let me go, for it is daybreak." But Jacob replied, "I will not let you go unless you bless me."
Gen 32:28
Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, [fn] because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome."
Gen 32:30
So Jacob called the place Peniel, [fn] saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared."

AK4

TO AK4 ON YOUR POST 247
You are making God to be a mounster, a psychopath, God is just, you should not believe reports of evil and lies about him, I understand Romans 9 - 11 to 29, and I have corrected it for you, no because I know Greek but I have the mind of Christ for it should read.
" for though the twins were not yet born, and had not done anything good or bad in order that God's purpose according to his character might stand, not because of works, but because of him who judges. it was said to her, the older will serve the younger. Just as it is written, Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated. What shall we say then? There is no justice with God, is there? May it never be! For he says to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I find mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I find compassion. So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who judges the heart. For the scripture says to Pharaoh, For this very purpose I raised you up, to demostrate you my power, and that my name might be proclaimed throughout the whole earth.
So then he has mercy on whom he approves and he hardens whom he dislikes. You will say to me then, why does he still find faults? On the contrary, who are you o man, who question the judgement of God?
..................part of verse 20 and verse 21 do not belong.........
what if God although willing to demostrate his wrath and to make his mercy known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath destined for destruction. and he did so in order that he might make known the riches of his character upon vessels of mercy, which he prepared beforehand for glory.
Even us, whom he also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among gentiles. As he says also in Hosea, I will call those who were not my people, my people. And her who was not beloved, beloved. And it shall be that in the place where it was said to them, you are not my people, there they shall be called sons of the living God.
And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel, Though the number of the sons of Israel be as the sand of the sea, it is the merciful that will be saved; for the Lord will execute his word upon the earth throughty and quickly. And just as Isaiah foretold, except the Lord of Sabaoth had left to us a posterity, we would have become as Sodom, and would have resembled Gomorrah."
Glory to God

'LUKE 8 - 18, "THEREFORE take care how you listen (or read); for whoever has, to him shall more be given; and whoever does not have, even what he thinks he has shall be taken away from him"

i will just say this briefly. For those who dont understand the plan of God, yes it would seem as if God is a monster when you read the Word and see what is going on in the world today and realise everything is of God.

Eph 3:9 - And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

1Co 8:6 - But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Etc. etc. What part of all there is not understood? There is no evil in God. Who can judge God anyway to say He is evil? Man? Isnt that exactly what this passage in Romans is addressing? Those who dont know the plan of God will call God a monster or whatever because He loved less Esau and chose Jacob and showed more favor to him. And for all you who say you have one shot to make it to "heaven", Esau is out of luck because IT WAS GOD WHO LOVED HIM LESS RIGHT? God didnt show him favor and now Esau will be terrorised in a fire for all eternity and it was Gods fault. "But why does God still blame us" or the way you put it "That makes God a monster". Yes that would make God a monster if that was the end of His plan. Yet it isnt and God will show favor/mercy to all. Those who know not the plan of God call Him a monster because they criticise what they dont know and question God for making things the way they are for this age.

I just got a question. how does it feel to know YOU (not just you in particular) have fulfilled some prophecy---

Ro 9:19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
Ro 11:33 -O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!

sojourner

Well in all sincerity, it seems as if you wasted your money.
In all sincerity, most folks within the major protestant denominations would disagree with you. The national accreditation association would disagree with you, too.
God is the cause of everything. If God had decided not to do anything at from the very get go then we wouldnt be here at all. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp. The scriptures tells you ALL IS OF GOD.
The scriptures also tell me that the sky is a hard dome, separating the waters of heaven from the waters of earth. Yes, God is creator, but God is also love. Since God is love, and we know that "love does not insist on its own way," we know that God invites (many references for this action) but does not force us to love God. A good case in point is the pericope of the Prodigal. Another is the Jacob Saga.
Is the scriptures lying?
These is my opinions on the scriptures: I do not subscribe to sola scriptura. Therefore, a Biblical proof is, for me, not the final word.
at least you did get the answer right.
According to the particular passage of I Cor. 15:24. But not according to orthodox Tradition.

sojourner

You puzzled me, I thought that we Christian believe that scripture interprets scriptures, so if we want to find out what the serpent stands for in the allegory “He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan” Identifies it for me. Not to worry though because this allegory points out to many of the sins committed and if we take your view “speaking historically, the serpent is often a symbol of wisdom, not a symbol for Satan” and again staying within the Christian prospective Eve thought better of this creature wisdom than that of the Almighty creator of fall there is, can we add Idolatry to the list of sins represented in the allegory? Consider that Satan is said to want man’s worship no other creature apart from man and Satan have this desire, consider also that the main characteristic show by serpent is decisiveness and that Revelation 20 goes on to state “so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished” so I think that both traditions imagery are of the same creature.
The authors of Genesis had no understanding of Satan. Therefore, they could not have been writing about Satan when they wrote Genesis. If a later writer came along and assigned that understanding to the story and wrote another document alluding to the Genesis serpent as Satan, that still has nothing to do with the Genesis serpent being Satan. It has to do with the other author's opinion that the Genesis serpent is Satan.

However, let me caution you that literature contains "markers," or similarities within genres. In this genre of ancient literature and storytelling, serpents are symbols of wisdom. And this is not out of line with the theology presented in Genesis. When humanity became knowledgeable about good and evil, we did become wise.

The Genesis account has parallels in the literature of other, more ancient cultures, leading us to believe that the Genesis account was "borrowed" from them. And, if borrowed, then certainly the markers were borrowed, as well.

Oberon

The authors of Genesis had no understanding of Satan.
Can we say this for certain? After all, שׂטן is in the OT, albeit with an entirely different nature and purpose. Or were you simply saying that they had no understanding of the christian concept of satan (in which case I would completely agree)?

sojourner

Can we say this for certain? After all, שׂטן is in the OT, albeit with an entirely different nature and purpose. Or were you simply saying that they had no understanding of the christian concept of satan (in which case I would completely agree)?
I think the latter is the same way in which the post to which I responded is conceptualizing Satan.

AK4

Ohooo! The Aions, as you know I am a sucker for scriptures so where is this universal Salvation stated in scriptures I cited . So not all are going to eternal life after this present one, some are destroyed, and Mathew chapter 7 goes on to say “ That is what the Mater said, few are those that find eternal life many a destroyed. So Jesus is not the saviour of all,

2Pe 1:20 - Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any privateinterpretation.

First off its not eternal life it aonian life, there is a difference. Yes some are destroyed, meaning they wont have that "extra" aonian life. Now if you believe that scripture above i can easily show you how after judgment (which means to set things right not torture for zillions and zillions of years for no apparent good). and for that second part yes difficult is the way for all. No one is saved "just anyway". I will address this later

Now who did Jesus came to saved?
Jhn 17:6"I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word

Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Joh 3:35 -The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.

Now is that all power given or just some? Is that all things or just only some things since most of humanity will be destroyed eternally?

to be continued...