• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Atheism Lead to Immoral Behavior?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Absolutely nothing of course, outside of incarcerating them when they break a constitutional law.
...they are here for a reason, ...and God will deal with them at the appropriate time.
No Gods are known to exist so atheists are not worried.

If atheists were truly evil you'd think a God would deal with them sooner, don't you think? It's as if a God doesn't exist. But we will be here letting you know we are atheists and your God, assuming it exists, is doing nothing about it.

Biut what do you say about believers in God who commit murder and other violent crimes against people? Are they not evil since they believe in God? How about the Christians who worked in Nazi concentration camps, are they saved since they accept Jesus?

DNB

Christian
If it needed to be explained it wouldn't be axiomatic. :D If it did exist though, it would be largely the same "axiomatic" evidence for Christianity, which was essentially my point.
...sorry, my mistake, I had you mistaken for an intelligent poster (I should've known).

DNB

Christian
No Gods are known to exist so atheists are not worried.

If atheists were truly evil you'd think a God would deal with them sooner, don't you think? It's as if a God doesn't exist. But we will be here letting you know we are atheists and your God, assuming it exists, is doing nothing about it.

Biut what do you say about believers in God who commit murder and other violent crimes against people? Are they not evil since they believe in God? How about the Christians who worked in Nazi concentration camps, are they saved since they accept Jesus?
Christians are those who accept Jesus as their saviour, and by doing so, abide by his precepts. When we fail, as we always will, we repent.
What Nazi, or definitive lawbreaker do you know that fits the above description?

What is wrong with you flippin' atheists - has the skill or necessity of dialectics entirely eluded you all?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I'd suppose this depends on what you view as moral behavior but I thought I'd ask the question to see what people would say.​

It is easy to justify one's personal morals but I'd like you to consider the world at large. Is the world becoming more moral or less moral?

And, does this have anything to do with the decline of religious belief?
I can no longer find the article about the study I read, but I do remember learning that the most moral behavior existed at the extremes: those devoutly religious and atheists. It was the nominal believers in the middle that made excuses as to why X is wrong, but justified in their particular case.

Ella S.

Atheists are evil because they don't want to believe in God and abide by His precepts, despite the evidence being so axiomatic.

I'm an atheist. I do want to believe in God and abide by His precepts. It was my quest to figure out which precepts were his and how to abide by them that eventually turned me into an atheist, because I could find no evidence that any precepts come from God rather than men claiming to speak for God.

Worse than that, with the refined techniques I developed to discover truth, I realized that the God I was searching for is outright impossible. So I came to a position where I was forced to admit that, from what I could tell, there are no precepts and there is no God.

Can you imagine how unpleasant that experience is? The one being in existence that you could trust in isn't there. The one friend that was with you the whole time, listening to every prayer, watching every trouble, they were never actually there to pay attention to you at all. The force guiding all of your actions to make sure that everything would turn out okay doesn't exist and life actually has no safety net at all.

I wish I could believe in God. I wish God was real. It would be such a relief to know that, despite how rough everything is down here, a loving, powerful, and wise father would make sure everything turned out the way it's supposed to be. That would be awesome.

If you actually have "axiomatic" evidence that God is real, lay it on me. All I've found are fallacious arguments like the Teleological Argument, the Ontological Argument, the Cosmological Argument, the Moral Argument, the Argument from Fine-Tuning, etc. which don't hold up to critical scrutiny. If you can provide something better than these, I'm all ears. If you have actual evidence for the existence of God, then that's even better: go get it peer-reviewed and submitted to a reputable academic journal. You'll probably win a Nobel Prize for that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can no longer find the article about the study I read, but I do remember learning that the most moral behavior existed at the extremes: those devoutly religious and atheists. It was the nominal believers in the middle that made excuses as to why X is wrong, but justified in their particular case.
I'm skeptical about religious extremism.
One's moral compass can be over-ruled by scripture.
And because scripture is both ambiguous & loaded
with conflicting concepts, various immoral interpretations
might be acted upon without normal human inhibitions
of compassion & fairness.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
without normal human inhibitions
of compassion & fairness.
It also depends on the religion. Because there are certain religions that revolve around the Us vs Them dogma, so we (followers of that religion) will be saved no matter what we do. They (non-followers of that religions) will not be saved even if they are the purest and best souls.
It's clear that such religions are terrifying in their implications. Because its followers will commit the most heinous acts...because of the absence of consequences in the afterlife.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It also depends on the religion. Because there are certain religions that revolve around the Us vs Them dogma, so we (followers of that religion) will be saved no matter what we do. They (non-followers of that religions) will not be saved even if they are the purest and best souls.
What religion isn't afflicted with that, eh.
It's clear that such religions are terrifying in their implications. Because its followers will commit the most heinous acts...because of the absence of consequences in the afterlife.
Oh, you so don't understand.
They believe they're securing paradise in the afterlife.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
What religion isn't afflicted with that, eh.
Mine. Mine isn't afflicted with that.
I have never met a priest that told me that Christians are saved because they are Christians.
Or that atheists won't be saved because they are atheists.
If you know one, introduce him to me.

Oh, you so don't understand.
They believe they're securing paradise in the afterlife.
That was exactly my point.

wellwisher

The difference between the Religious and the Atheist is that the Religious believe that god is the highest ideal, whereas the Atheists believe man is the highest ideal. There are two different bars being set.

If we compare religious people who worship Jesus versus those who worship the Devil, both may believe in something bigger than themselves. But in this case there is the higher road; good, and the lower road; evil. One religion will try to exceed the good of natural man, while the other will try to exceed the evil of natural man. The Atheist Scientists are in the middle, limiting itself more to the natural man.

However, since we all have will and choice, the extremes of religious behavior, which will set the bar both higher and lower than natural man, allows living examples of these two extremes The atheists can copy and move their set point toward either extreme, while still not believing in God.

A godless con artist can learn the ways of either side, take it to the extreme, and then commandeer that side. This is possible since they will not be bound by the religious faith issues, which inhibit. They can remain more of an objective opportunist, since man is the highest good.

The empire building preacher may mimic the charisma of faith, while being and acting godless. The real goal is money and power, with them able to objectively plan and scheme, since they are not inhibited by faith in a higher power. They are their own god, so to speak.

My belief is that the Atheist have been around for a long time and infiltrated many religions over the ages. They had to play along in theocratical cultures, but secretly had another agenda. They acted like a virus invading a host to rise to power. They then uses the machinery of the host, to benefit itself. This accounts for many of the religious atrocities, since these behavior do not jive with faith and the teachings. The Spanish Inquisition had nothing to due with the teachings of Jesus. It was about money, power and paranoia.

Prophets, for example, tend to be not welcome in their own place in time, since they are seen as unstable due to the creative flux of their faith and visions. False prophets, are more like con artists playing a role. They are not in the same flux, so they tend to attract followers since their lack of faith makes it easier by play the temporal games.

In modern time, most Muslims are good people but a small minority of self servers have commandeered the faithful, for their own end game. The faithful are weak to resist due to their faith creating inhibitions, less they depart the wrong way; vulnerable to false atheist profits.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Just take a look at what countries predispose death penalty or detention for atheism.
They are not Christian countries. :)
You overlook Christian countries love to crush
other cultures & religions, eg, Russia in Ukraine,
wiping out indigenous people, Germany in WW2,
Italy in WW2, USA attacking Islamic countries,
the British Empire.
In each, Christianity dominates.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You overlook Christian countries love to crush
other cultures & religions, eg, Russia in Ukraine,