• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Atheism Lead to Immoral Behavior?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
That is a belief that is of no value. There will always be some violent deaths due to human nature. The goal is to continually lower the number. Stating the obvious does not help the number of violent deaths go down.
So removing death by violence is of no value according to you? You don't KNOW if there will always be some violent deaths due to human nature. Just like you don't know when telomeres came about.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
all you need to do is look at expressly atheist societies and see how degenerate they are. nominally religious societies are also degenerate but that is not because of religion but despite it.

there is no such thing as an atheist, whatever is your priority in life, who are whatever you think is the most powerful entity on earth, whatever you get up in the morning for is your "god", even if it is not much of a god and you have nothing in particular to live for.
On that count there's no such thing as a Christian because none of them are doing what he said.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So removing death by violence is of no value according to you? You don't KNOW if there will always be some violent deaths due to human nature. Just like you don't know when telomeres came about.
My post implied the opposite of that. I could say the same about you since you seem to have given up since the goal of zero cannot be attained. I was rather clear the fewer are better than a lot and that is our goal. You appear to be too ready to give up.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You might try reading the entire article and/or ask SubductionZone and others here. Nevertheless I find it interesting.
We've known about telemeres for decades. Students learn about them in high school biology. But what does any of this have to do with God or religion? It's just basic biology.

YoursTrue

My post implied the opposite of that. I could say the same about you since you seem to have given up since the goal of zero cannot be attained. I was rather clear the fewer are better than a lot and that is our goal. You appear to be too ready to give up.
Why do you say the goal of zero cannot be attained? perhaps you can tell a grieving mother whose child has been violently killed well it's not happening as much as it used to

YoursTrue

What, if anything, encourages/discourages immoral behavior?
Other than punishment, since some feel there ought to be something other than punishment that drives our moral behavior.
Evidently the fear of punishment does not stop some people from committing violent acts.

YoursTrue

We live in the real world for now. And to make things better one needs reasonable goals. Giving up because one cannot attain zero deaths does not help.
The real-world has lots of violence as well as suicides. I firmly believe there is a better world coming...

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why do you say the goal of zero cannot be attained? perhaps you can tell a grieving mother whose child has been violently killed well it's not happening as much as it used to
Why would you suppose that doing that would be of any help to that grieving mother -- even it is in fact true? It doesn't help a parent whose child has died of drowning to tell it that it was an accident and nobody intended it.

We live in a real world, an imperfect world, one in which bad stuff happens. We don't want it to happen, we care when it happens to us, and hopefully we care when it happens to others --- and then we (hopefully) see what we can do to fix it. Will we ever fix everything, forever? I very seriously doubt it. But should we stop trying?

YoursTrue

Why would you suppose that doing that would be of any help to that grieving mother -- even it is in fact true? It doesn't help a parent whose child has died of drowning to tell it that it was an accident and nobody intended it.

We live in a real world, an imperfect world, one in which bad stuff happens. We don't want it to happen, we care when it happens to us, and hopefully we care when it happens to others --- and then we (hopefully) see what we can do to fix it. Will we ever fix everything, forever? I very seriously doubt it. But should we stop trying?
What do you mean "we don't want it to happen." Obviously someone wants it to happen. Only God can overturn mankind's problems.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The real-world has lots of violence as well as suicides. I firmly believe there is a better world coming...
Such beliefs more often than not are counter productive. All to often people that believe that think that they do not have to do anything to make our world better. If you want an end to violence you should be working on actions that will at least lower the rates of violence rather than blaming it all on God.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Evidently the fear of punishment does not stop some people from committing violent acts.
"Tough on crime" legislation usually creates unexpected blowback, and sometimes increased gang activity and organized crime.

Most petty criminals tend to be impulsive, and they rarely do much risk-benefit analysis.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Such beliefs more often than not are counter productive. All to often people that believe that think that they do not have to do anything to make our world better. If you want an end to violence you should be working on actions that will at least lower the rates of violence rather than blaming it all on God.
Vindictiveness and punishment may satisfy our desire for vengeance, but it does little to rehabilitate the offenders or address the fundamental causes of crime.