• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Atheism Lead to Immoral Behavior?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
..rather than making flippant comments, what do you think is responsible for cancers

Biology.

, and why they are on the increase?

Some are, some aren't.
Those that are, usually have sensible explanations, like air pollution.
Living in a metropolitan city is, for your lungs, the equivalent of living in some paradise island while smoking a pack of cigs a day.

There's no magic involved.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I don't entirely know why, outside of the fact that when man does not abide by God's laws and precepts, even going as far as denying His existence, that there are repercussions both physically and mentally, even affecting nature itself (God cursed the earth after the fall of man).

So you are saying that cancers are the result of "man" not acting like god wants them to.
So, I suppose that cancers in other animals means that god is punishing those animals as well?

So I guess this 77-million years old dinosaur here, was "rebelling" and "sinning" against god then

Doctors diagnose advanced cancer—in a dinosaur | Science | AAAS

:rolleyes:

Some of these consequences were inflicted by God Himself, others are results of our own actions and attitudes.

So this goes for cancers in other animals also, I presume?
My cat, who suffered from liver cancer, apparently was a sinner or something then.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Living in a metropolitan city is, for your lungs, the equivalent of living in some paradise island while smoking a pack of cigs a day.

There's no magic involved.
..so mankind has brought it upon themselves, in effect.

"For the rich man to get to heaven is like the camel passing through the eye of a needle"

We cannot escape our destiny .. the accumulation of wealth attracts us, until we reach the graves.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
....when man does not abide by God's laws and precepts, even going as far as denying His existence, that there are repercussions both physically and mentally, even affecting nature itself (God cursed the earth after the fall of man).
I wonder why then this atheist has lived a long
& happy life. Yet Christians I know have suffered
horrible tragedy & disease. And why do tornadoes
always go after churches & trailers of the faithful?
They leave the atheists' buildings unscathed.

Looking at things from an empirical perspective,
instead of biblical, this God stuff doesn't hold water.

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I don't entirely know why, outside of the fact that when man does not abide by God's laws and precepts, even going as far as denying His existence, that there are repercussions both physically and mentally, even affecting nature itself (God cursed the earth after the fall of man).
Some of these consequences were inflicted by God Himself, others are results of our own actions and attitudes.
So what about devout religious people, such as my uncle, who end up with cancer anyway? How does that make sense?

Also, how can you demonstrate this claim you've made? That cancer is the result of people not following God's rules?

F1fan

Veteran Member
No, I completely agree with what you say. :)
I said this:
Of course you are a religious person and will reject this factual explanation, and claim your God is the cause for all that occurs in the universe, including fatal diseases.​

So the three year old daughter of some clients of mine who was diagnosed with Leukemia was being punished for not abiding God's laws and precepts? She died soon after her 5th birthday, so explain your God's actions here.

DNB

Christian
So you don't dispute that your God is responsible for cancers, in cluding those that affect children.

And you call atheists evil?
He is aware, and has dealt with many unfortunate circumstances in the manner that He chooses fit - many of His dealings are only perceived to be unjust.
I cannot explain this significance of certain outcomes, but God will not be challenged by me, neither by my volition or His.

DNB

Christian
The type of contention that comes about through rational reasoning by an independent mind.
Just because there is this all powerful entity that created everything, does not by any means give that entity a "free pass" to do whatever it wants. It doesn't make it immune to immoral behavior.

Contrary to what many theists seem to believe: might does not make right.

Even if we would bend over backwards and accept that: why would that matter? So what?
Does that mean this entity is immune to moral standards?
This Entity is immune to moral standards, obviously - He is the author of morals, and your capacity to recognize them - not all creatures were given the faculties to do so, it was at His discretion.

DNB

Christian
So you are saying that cancers are the result of "man" not acting like god wants them to.
So, I suppose that cancers in other animals means that god is punishing those animals as well?

So I guess this 77-million years old dinosaur here, was "rebelling" and "sinning" against god then

Doctors diagnose advanced cancer—in a dinosaur | Science | AAAS

:rolleyes:

So this goes for cancers in other animals also, I presume?
My cat, who suffered from liver cancer, apparently was a sinner or something then.
God is holy, man is a perverse fool - who are you going to send your complaints to?

F1fan

Veteran Member
He is aware, and has dealt with many unfortunate circumstances in the manner that He chooses fit - many of His dealings are only perceived to be unjust.
I cannot explain this significance of certain outcomes, but God will not be challenged by me, neither by my volition or His.
“Unfortunate circumstances”? Your God planned them and then made them happen. There’s no reason for your God to deal with anything unless he made a mistake.

I understand fervent believers want their God to be in charge until all the horrible things it ends up being responsible for, but you don’t get it both ways. Either your God is the creator and in charge or it isn’t. Make up your mind.

DNB

Christian
I wonder why then that this atheist has lived
a long & happy life. Yet Christians I know have
suffered horrible tragedy & disease. And why do
tornadoes always go after churches & trailers
of the faithful? The leave the atheists alone.

Looking at things from an empirical perspective,
instead of biblical, this God stuff doesn't hold water.
Have you reexamined that lens that you're looking through?

DNB

Christian
So what about devout religious people, such as my uncle, who end up with cancer anyway? How does that make sense?

Also, how can you demonstrate this claim you've made? That cancer is the result of people not following God's rules?
We all deserve to die, no one is good in God's eyes compared to His inherent holiness - if God were to inflict me with cancer today, what complaint could I level against Him?
All that He has asked is that we love one another, and yet not one of us treats each other as we desire to be treated. We're all hypocrites, to say the least.
What does God owe us?

DNB

Christian
So the three year old daughter of some clients of mine who was diagnosed with Leukemia was being punished for not abiding God's laws and precepts? She died soon after her 5th birthday, so explain your God's actions here.
I can't, but possibly someone else can. Either way, it's God's universe and no one is here by their own volition.
First recognize His power, authority and sovereignty, and one will learn not to question the difficult areas of life - God is holy, all will be reconciled.

DNB

Christian
“Unfortunate circumstances”? Your God planned them and then made them happen. There’s no reason for your God to deal with anything unless he made a mistake.

I understand fervent believers want their God to be in charge until all the horrible things it ends up being responsible for, but you don’t get it both ways. Either your God is the creator and in charge or it isn’t. Make up your mind.
In charge of what?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I try to be perceptive and objective - which makes me believe that your lenses are distorted?
My lenses are focused & clear as glass.
Perhaps you look thru stained glass patterns, eh.
il_794xN.4309328575_azb4.jpg