• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Being Born Again Make You A Better Person?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
ask Cliff Burton
wink.gif
Ask him what? I don't even know what it has to do with the thread at hand, as he wasn't born again.
David Mustaine, the front man of Megadeth is. And allthough there are some songs he will not play live anymore, he is still an *** hole, and doesn't act "christian" like.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I suppose I am pretty sceptical about 'born agains' as opposed to other Christians, because I have not had the best of experiences with many of them. A person I know well was a nice enough guy before he got 'born again', now he is judgemental and unpleasant. There is not much point in a faith which doesn't make you nice to know, imo.

I usually try not to stereotype an entire group based on one person...although sometimes, it gets very difficult not too...

love

tri-polar optimist
All things are new.
There is a before and an after. Never will you see the world as before.

Sin will repulse you but you must not judge because you have been there. You can forget that your salvation came from Grace and slide back but wisdom of the Gift should bring you home.
I will never look back.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
We are proud of our daughter not because she is an Anglican Priest, but because she is doing a good job and is well respected for the things she does in the community. She is a good girl.:)
Oh, I knew you weren't proud of her because of her priestiness. I just figured you couldn't be entirely hostile to it since you are still proud of her. :)

I don't know about the idea of being 'born again' each time we have a new direction in our lives. I don't think we shed our experiences, we use them to build on as we move forward, imo.
I think being "born again" means being transformed - like a caterpillar to a butterfly. Transformation doesn't mean shedding everything about the previous self, but it does mean a dramatic qualitative change.

FFH

Veteran Member
I suppose I am pretty sceptical about 'born agains' as opposed to other Christians, because I have not had the best of experiences with many of them. A person I know well was a nice enough guy before he got 'born again', now he is judgemental and unpleasant. There is not much point in a faith which doesn't make you nice to know, imo.
Good question. Being "born again," means you have committed to the Lord to keep his commandments. A person is then born again by the spirit of the Lord. The person is then a spiritual son or daughter of God/Christ because he has spiritually begotten that person. He has given that particular person a new spiritual life, apart from the world, with all guilt, chains and stains of sin removed. Many profess to be born again but are deep in sin and judgemental of others. It's okay to judge righteous judgement though, this is scriptural and we are commanded to warn our neighbors as we have been warned. Don't take it too harsh, your friend is only concerned about others and their eternal well being.

There is safety in obeying all God's commands, this is a true born again Christian...

If your friend judges you again say to him have YOU repented of all your sins. All of us have not of course and there is always room for improvement, even if we don't believe in Christ or are religious in any way...

It's a tough path to walk in this world but it's actually a lot easier to not sin than to sin. Things run a lot smoother when a person is free from the affects and chains of sin. It's freeing, for lack of a better description...

Being born again means that particular person is keeping the commandments as best as they can...

w00t

Good question. Being "born again," means you have committed to the Lord to keep his commandments. A person is then born again by the spirit of the Lord. The person is then a spiritual son or daughter of God/Christ because he has spiritually begotten that person. He has given that particular person a new spiritual life, apart from the world, with all guilt, chains and stains of sin removed. Many profess to be born again but are deep in sin and judgemental of others. It's okay to judge righteous judgement though, this is scriptural and we are commanded to warn our neighbors as we have been warned. Don't take it too harsh, your friend is only concerned about others and their eternal well being.

There is safety in obeying all God's commands, this is a true born again Christian...

If your friend judges you again say to him have YOU repented of all your sins. All of us have not of course and there is always room for improvement, even if we don't believe in Christ or are religious in any way...

It's a tough path to walk in this world but it's actually a lot easier to not sin than to sin. Things run a lot smoother when a person is free from the affects and chains of sin. It's freeing, for lack of a better description...

Being born again means that particular person is keeping the commandments as best as they can...

A judgemental 'born again' is the work of the devil in my opinion. Thank goodness 'born again's' still make up the minority of Christians in the UK!

Muffled

Jesus in me
If a born again Christian is reincarnated, do they have to be born again again?

Yeah! It almost must seem more like a confirmation, lol. The person I am thinking of was a Christian in the previous life (whether born again or not I could not say). In this life the person was baptized at a very early age. Although usually nothing is remembered there is a deja vue feeling that this is a trusted path (having been on it in a previous life).

Muffled

Jesus in me
A judgemental 'born again' is the work of the devil in my opinion. Thank goodness 'born again's' still make up the minority of Christians in the UK!

It always appears that way to the person avidly holding onto their sin. How could a person wish to take away something so dear to him (even if it is killing him). Love does not seek your death by sin but a deliverence into life by getting free from sin. The object of the devil is to keep you in sin and then to torment you for being so foolish as to allow him to do it.

I have been called a few choice names by such people but love bears all (from ICor. 13).

w00t

It always appears that way to the person avidly holding onto their sin. How could a person wish to take away something so dear to him (even if it is killing him). Love does not seek your death by sin but a deliverence into life by getting free from sin. The object of the devil is to keep you in sin and then to torment you for being so foolish as to allow him to do it.

I have been called a few choice names by such people but love bears all (from ICor. 13).

It depends what you mean by sin?

w00t

I mean all that God calls sin. I have transgressed against the rules of this site on occasion but I wouldn't consider it a sin. I wish this site no harm.

God doesn't call anything a sin, it is man that interprets what he thinks God is thinking!

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am born again, all Christians are even if they don't say so. And no, it doesn't actually make someone better. People can not be saved by themselves, because all people have sin. Only God can save people, He is beyond sin and is our creator.

w00t

I am born again, all Christians are even if they don't say so. And no, it doesn't actually make someone better. People can not be saved by themselves, because all people have sin. Only God can save people, He is beyond sin and is our creator.

All Christians don't believe in the 'born again' concept, that would appear to be an idea confined to the fundamentalist wing of Christianity.

Muffled

Jesus in me
All Christians don't believe in the 'born again' concept, that would appear to be an idea confined to the fundamentalist wing of Christianity.

I am born again and not a fundamentalist. Anyone receiving the word of Jesus from the Bible about it can be born again whatever their religious background. I have even met a few born again Catholics.

w00t

I am born again and not a fundamentalist. Anyone receiving the word of Jesus from the Bible about it can be born again whatever their religious background. I have even met a few born again Catholics.

Fine, but not every Christian is a 'born again'!

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I will keep saying it. This is straight from the Bible:

John 3:3 Jesus answered him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."

That verse alone is why I say it.

Ozzie

I believe in the stance that we are born again every minute of the day hence every minute is an opportunity to take (if you want to become a better person for example).

w00t

I believe in the stance that we are born again every minute of the day hence every minute is an opportunity to take (if you want to become a better person for example).

I am not sure what you mean about being born again every minute of the day?

Muffled

Jesus in me

I will say it again. Not everyone wearing the "Christian " label is a Christian. My definition is anyone who has received Jesus as Lord and Savior. This encompasses the meaning of being born again. Anyone can admire the teachings of Jesus, the Bhuddhists for instance who don't necessarily believe in God. The Muslims who have their own view of Jesus (which I believe is hypocritical) believe in him as a messenger.

For a while I debated a homosexual Episcopalian who was studying to be a priest. I pointed out that acting as a homosexual was antithetical to believing in Jesus who is the savior from sin. He somehow had the idea that Jesus saved him from the penalty so he could sin more. I do not consider him a Christian because he never received Jesus as Lord and Savior. Evidently he doesn't want Jesus to save him from sin either.