• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Islam Need a Reformation?

Does Islam Need To Be Fundamentally Reformed?

• Yes

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

JoStories

You can. Contrary to popular belief, though, I am not Winston Churchill or Brittish for that matter. I'm a born and bred Marylander.
Ah..love Maryland. Worked at a subsidiary of John Hopkins out by the psych hospital. The name escapes me at the moment and I lived down on the bay named Canton or something like that. So amazingly beautiful. I got some really stunning photos down there. I do some amateur photography that folks tell me is really good. And Maryland has so many areas to photograph. I am in Maine.

Reactions: gsa

gsa

I just visited Baltimore for the first time last July. Loved it! It was refreshing to stay in a real city after spending a few days in DC.

JoStories

You need to find some hobbies for yourself instead of wasting your time on the internet.[/QUOTE

Madame, I do crewel work (look it up), oil painting, photography, macrame, quilting, and I write professionally and for fun doing short stories and poetry which have been published. I do NOT find this forum wasting time and btw, if it is wasting time, why the bloody hell are you here??

JoStories

I'll let you in to a little secret guys ("guys" as a neutral gender :blush:); if the gender is specified, you can find that out by left-clicking on the avatar. If there is no avatar, the gender will be shown in its place :)
Thanks but honestly dear, who cares? I have told you guys, and the same thing about guys applies, and that is enough for now. Btw, did you PM me? And if you did, how do I find that?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I just visited Baltimore for the first time last July. Loved it! It was refreshing to stay in a real city after spending a few days in DC.
You've got that straight. All anyone cares about in DC is working. Baltimore is way more "down to earth," and it has a great music scene as well.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I'm a born and bred Marylander.
Is that where Maryland Blue Crabs come from? Dude, that's one place I'd love to visit one day just to devour those crabs :D

Thanks but honestly dear, who cares? I have told you guys, and the same thing about guys applies, and that is enough for now. Btw, did you PM me? And if you did, how do I find that?
Oh no, it is not that it is critical to know the gender of the one you quote, it is just to avoid funny mistakes like saying "ma'am" or "sir" to the opposite gender. I once called a lady "bro" so many times that she came at me wondering why I kept calling her bro :D

That felt awkward :)

Nope, I didn't PM you. But honestly, I'd love to have a reason to. You seem like a nice person :)

If you receive PM's, your "Inbox" at the top right side of the screen will show a red circle with the number of PM's you received. Here and now on the new RF, it is called Conversations instead for some reason.

I am in Maine.
:flushed:

Did you just say Maine, where Maine lobsters come from?

You and Leibowde84 are so lucky. One has blue crabs and the other has lobster :yum:

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Is that where Maryland Blue Crabs come from? Dude, that's one place I'd love to visit one day just to devour those crabs :D

Oh no, it is not that it is critical to know the gender of the one you quote, it is just to avoid funny mistakes like saying "ma'am" or "sir" to the opposite gender. I once called a lady "bro" so many times that she came at me wondering why I kept calling her bro :D

Nope, I didn't PM you. But honestly, I'd love to have a reason to. You seem like a nice person :)

If you receive PM's, your "Inbox" at the top right side of the screen will show a red circle with the number of PM's you received. Here and now on the new RF, it is called Conversations instead for some reason.

:flushed:

Did you just say Maine, where Maine lobsters come from?

You and Leibowde84 are so lucky. One has blue crabs and the other has lobster :yum:
Haha ... well, Smart_Guy, if you ever want to come to Maryland for some crabs, I've got a couch with your name on it!!

JoStories

Nope, I didn't PM you. But honestly, I'd love to have a reason to. You seem like be a nice person :)
there are several people on this board that I really like and would love to know better. And in fact, in the olden days, like a decade ago or so, I met about 50 of the people from the old AOL message boards. And my current BFF is someone from there. Hell, I met my late partner on one about 20 years ago. When it was all dial up and such.
I totally agree that the calling someone sir or ma'am is awkward. I can see your point well and if it would help, I will make sure to let people know I am a she.
And Smart Guy, you are darling. You are polite, funny, and I just plain like you. Feel free to PM me anytime dear.

JoStories

You've got that straight. All anyone cares about in DC is working. Baltimore is way more "down to earth," and it has a great music scene as well.
Amen to that, although I do enjoy going to the Smithsonian and the DC zoo when I am there. I particularly like the art museums and the NA one. In fact, all of them are great. But as for Baltimore, damn straight it is more relaxed and the music is amazing. Along with most else of the city. Its a great town, really.

JoStories

You two are too kind. I like you both :)

And JS, just incase you missed it, I commented on Maine up there :)
I love my state save for this bloody winter. We were buried. Twenty five foot mounds of snow in parking lots, etc. we broke all the dang records regarding snow. But generally, maine is stunning.

gsa

DC is an extremely overpriced swamp with no skyline and plenty of horrid Type A personalities. Baltimore is much nicer, relaxed and interesting. I cannot understand why anyone would prefer DC to Baltimore, or tolerate the high prices of the former when the latter is right next door.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
DC is an extremely overpriced swamp with no skyline and plenty of horrid Type A personalities. Baltimore is much nicer, relaxed and interesting. I cannot understand why anyone would prefer DC to Baltimore, or tolerate the high prices of the former when the latter is right next door.
The job market is much better in DC. I think that is literally the only reason. Certainly why I live outside DC instead of Baltimore, but I am trying to get transferred to our Annapolis office, which is even nicer than Bmore.

being homo is not something in your natural features and its not proven. There are great efforts to impose it as like something "normal", but its not.

Or alternatively, there are great efforts to brand it as something insidious, but it is not. A bit like masturbation...

Reactions: gsa

Astrologer

If Islam needs reforming, so do other religions. A good old fashioned dose of common sense ought to tell people right from wrong based on cause and effect. The golden rule is the best rule. Ancient texts were written by men mostly who could be quirky, and biased.

Boris56

If Islam needs reforming, so do other religions. A good old fashioned dose of common sense ought to tell people right from wrong based on cause and effect. The golden rule is the best rule. Ancient texts were written by men mostly who could be quirky, and biased.
Mohammad never even existed.

johnmikeyc

Namaste...the truth as one understands it is always beneficial...each individual soul regardless of religious choice if any requires not so much reformation as unforming to our original nature...there Islam is found...no identification with anything outside of the ever present now...As Gandhi said....we must be the change we wish to see in the world." Peace will never be found in the world of understanding or debate. I am sure these words don't adequately point to answer. I appreciate your efforts.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Islam doesnt need anything from apostates.

What will stop the murders of non muslims, muslims of different islamic sects, muslims of the same denomination but of
the "wrong" tribe?
What will stop murders of those that make public statements seen by muslims as demeaning the Quran or
Muhammud?
Wonder how gun control laws would work in Middle East countries?

Jon_Roland

The legacy of Islam has had several attempts at reformation. Unfortunately, most of them lost in the ensuing conflicts. The first was led by Aisha, Mohammed's third wife, against another Ali, the third caliph, at the Battle of Basra, which she lost. She spent the rest of her life educating girls in a school she founded in Medina. That is what led to the Sunni-Shia split. (The Shiites are followers of Ali, and the Sunnis are those who are not, although they have not carried forward the aims of Aisha, either.)

Another was led by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk in Turkey, but we see today how his secular movement is losing out to the Salafists.

The main effort for reform survives today as the Sufi sect within Islam. If the Sufis were dominant, we would not be having this conversation, but they lost out. Their teachings are close to the original peaceful teaching of Mohammad, evidenced in the Quran and the Hadiths.

The main reason the Sufis lost dominance was that the main leaders of what became the Salafi branch of Islam, the one that threatens us today, discovered the profitability of the pursuit of plunder, across the Middle East, North Africa, and into Europe, in Spain, France, Italy, and as far as Austria. They may have plundered in the name of Islam, but it was always about the plunder, the wealth and the slaves.

Perhaps the best way to solve the problem is to encourage the re-emergence of the Sufi sect, until it becomes dominant. The result of any reformation would look Sufi. (That is not to say that all Sufis are nonviolent -- they have their apostates, too.) Unfortunately, being more peaceful has made them seem less appealing to young men who want to fight and plunder.

See Constitution Society :: Home where we have perhaps the first constitution, given by Mohammad for the city-state of Medina.