• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does omnipotent mean God can do anything?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Not if you couldn't die except voluntarily.

And if God doesn't have to know everything, what is the problem of Knowing Everything that Willamena mentioned?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Not if you couldn't die except voluntarily.

And if God doesn't have to know everything, what is the problem of Knowing Everything that Willamena mentioned?
I wasn't referring to any particular argument, and I don't really care if there is one ---I was just demonstrating that the Problem of Evil addresses the attribute "benevolence". Other attributes are addessed by other arguments.

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
But dropping omnipotence is the Problem of Doing Anything You Want. Dropping omniscience would be The Problem of Knowing Everything (or Anything). Those are distinct arguments.

The Problem of Evil drops benevolence.

No.

Look again at Epicurus's thingy:

If God is willing to prevent evil but unable, then he is impotent.
If He is able, but unwilling, then he is malevolent.
If He is able and willing, then whence cometh evil?
If He is neither able or willing, then why call Him God?

Notice, actually, that the first solution Epicurus offers to the Problem of Evil is indeed dropping omnipotence. Only in the second line does he offer dropping benevolence.

It just turns out that dropping omniscience is another solution (perhaps God just didn't know how to prevent evil?)

The name of the problem is always "The Problem of Evil" regardless of whether it's omnipotence, omniscience, or benevolence that's dropped in the deity's attributes because it's always the existence of evil that makes the contradiction apparent.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In #3 it says that kind of God would want to prevent all evils, with which I can agree. In #6 it says He would necessarily prevent all evils because he is able to, and wants to. Is that necessarily true? I can think of lots of things I want to do , and am able to do, which aren't right, or a good idea.
Then I'd say that you don't completely want to do them.

You are not just your conscious mind. You are the sum total of all your thoughts, motivations, desires, etc. IMO, if you want to do something wrong but you hold yourself back, it's because some other part of you that didn't want it overrode the part of you that did.

Also, I'm bound by commitments. Can God be bound by commitments?
IMO, that just pushes the problem back one step. An all-powerful God could presumably choose to honour a promise, but an all-knowing God would know the consequences of a promise before making it.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I'm not sure what it has to do with (a) God, but if there where no pain we would all die very quickly.

You're not going far enough.

Yes, if you don't feel pain when you rest your hand on a hot burner you will be badly injured.

I'm not asking "Why does stuff hurt?"

I'm asking "Why is stuff there that hurts us?"

Why does a hot burner have to burn our hands in the first place?

Yes, getting innoculated against diseases hurts because a needle pricks our skin. I'm not asking "Why does a needle hurt so bad?" but rather "Why are there diseases to innoculate against in the first place?" See?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
No, each solution is interconnected to the others. It's all one argument. I can't see the benefit in arguing over this particular thing though, so we'll agree to disagree.
Thank you! (for saving my hair)

Last edited:

logician

An omnisicent god is helpless, as it knows all of its own future actions, which it cannot change, i.e. omniscience by necessity really is impossible. If it doesn't know its own future actions, it is not omniscient.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
And I sincerely hope you can do just that. I want that for you. But I would argue that heartbreak and sadness are part of being in love. There are good times and bad.

I agree with this. I haven't ever argued though that it's possible to have sentient beings without at least emotional suffering.

For instance even in a world without physical suffering, I can't fathom how we could have beings with free will where, say, someone loves someone else without that love being returned. Unrequited love may be a bit of necessary suffering that I can't argue against.

Midnight Pete

I agree with this. I haven't ever argued though that it's possible to have sentient beings without at least emotional suffering.

For instance even in a world without physical suffering, I can't fathom how we could have beings with free will where, say, someone loves someone else without that love being returned. Unrequited love may be a bit of necessary suffering that I can't argue against.

I don't think of unrequited love being as necessary or unnecessary. In fact, I don't think of suffering in general as being necessary or unnecessary. I just accept that suffering is.
Buddha Shakyamuni taught that suffering is a fact of life, and this insight he realized for himself.