• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the world need religion?

leahrachelle

From a non-religious view:
In my opinion, we may or may not have a bigger purpose . Since we don't know what it is, We seem to just be sitting her repopulating the earth for no reason, but there is so much more out there and we know so very little about the universe around us. If we were supposed to know what our purpose is, though, I think that we would.
So until we know, or never know, we are born, we live, and we die. As simple as that is, it is extremely hard for most people to grasp that concept. They cannot break away the religion that their parents have taught them because they like the comfort that hope gives them, despite all their doubts in the religion. The fact that there is nothing after we die is too depressing of a thought for most people. So, I think that religion is needed for most. If you can grasp the fact that there's nothing, great. If you can't , great. Religion makes a lot of people 'better people' and it makes them happy, so it is good that they have it. In fact, if I know that it would hurt someone mentally to know that there was nothing after we die, I would not encourage them to break away from religion. I might encourage it, even.

I am interested to hear people's opinions on this.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend leahrachelle,
Religion only means a PATH or a WAY.
If you take a different Path which is a non-path which you call non-religion is also a PATH a WAY a RELIGION.
Each one is on some path by birth.
Love & rgds

challupa

From a non-religious view:
In my opinion, we may or may not have a bigger purpose . Since we don't know what it is, We seem to just be sitting her repopulating the earth for no reason, but there is so much more out there and we know so very little about the universe around us. If we were supposed to know what our purpose is, though, I think that we would.
So until we know, or never know, we are born, we live, and we die. As simple as that is, it is extremely hard for most people to grasp that concept. They cannot break away the religion that their parents have taught them because they like the comfort that hope gives them, despite all their doubts in the religion. The fact that there is nothing after we die is too depressing of a thought for most people. So, I think that religion is needed for most. If you can grasp the fact that there's nothing, great. If you can't , great. Religion makes a lot of people 'better people' and it makes them happy, so it is good that they have it. In fact, if I know that it would hurt someone mentally to know that there was nothing after we die, I would not encourage them to break away from religion. I might encourage it, even.

I am interested to hear people's opinions on this.
I agree with most of what you say. The only problem I have with religion is that in some cases it is highly dangerous to the life we do have. Some religious beliefs are good, but others are downright dangerous to the survival of humanity. So it's a mixed bag. I tend to side with you though that if their religion brings them comfort, then who am I to try to change that and like you I may even encourage them to keep their faith.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I agree with most of what you say. The only problem I have with religion is that in some cases it is highly dangerous to the life we do have. Some religious beliefs are good, but others are downright dangerous to the survival of humanity. So it's a mixed bag. I tend to side with you though that if their religion brings them comfort, then who am I to try to change that and like you I may even encourage them to keep their faith.

I have heard religious people say the same thing about atheism.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Some people need religion to tell them not to put flaming poo on thier neighbors porch and ring the doorbell.

Others need it to take the place of thier mommies and daddies lookiing over thier shoulder.

And then some need religion so they will have an easy tool to manipulate minds.

And then religion is needed as a focus/tool/path for enlightenment for some too.

Why when it could be "needed" for so many things should the world be deprived of such a versatile play toy?

Sure the world needs it. Or else the world would be some kinda deathly bored.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I'm not sure about the world. But I think I need it.
As simple as that is, it is extremely hard for most people to grasp that concept. They cannot break away the religion that their parents have taught them because they like the comfort that hope gives them, despite all their doubts in the religion. The fact that there is nothing after we die is too depressing of a thought for most people.
That's not the need I have.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Does the world need atheists who continue to ask this same question over and over again?

challupa

I have heard religious people say the same thing about atheism.
No doubt. However, even athiests have a "religious" mindset. After all most were raised in some kind of religion and we can never underestimate the programming of our childhood. To say we live in a secular society or that we are athiests and in no way think we are a product of our upbringing is naive.

There are wonderful people in both groups, religious and athiest, that goes without saying. Also I don't think religion should be done away with as I said in my post. I do think that we need to really look at what we believe, both groups, and get rid of the negatives of all mindsets. In many cases religious groups are set against each other by the mindset that they are right and other religions are wrong. This leads to a superior attitude and the belief it's okay to try and convert others to thier religion. That crosses the line for me. If one wants to be religious they can go and join one. Having someone try and convert them is not required imo. These things divide in a world where we need more respect and unity. I don't advocate banning religion, just some aspects of it.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I think so.

I've found a lot more unity and interaction in going to a church and visiting a temple than I have watching morons come out of nightclubs at three in the morning and being sick on the floor, fighting one another, and more unity within it than in a chess club or whatnot. Only thing I've seen just as much unity within is sport, which is more or less a god to some anyway. :shrug:

Even if only for it's human aspects, I think religion is needed.

Only, religion needs to shed its exclusivist ("my God only, you'll go to hell!") and/or over-ethnic ("why would you want to join? You're not like us..") tendencies to allow in peace and communication instead of exclusionism and alienation of those "not like us". Yet that would exist without religion anyway. Based on race, or politics. Some people would use anything to discriminate against someone else, I guess.

I would hate to live in a land where there was no religion, with only those miserable atheists. ;) (Kidding, kidding)

I don't think a lot of people could cope without anything. If anything, I yearn for a time when going to a religious place of worship (whichever you want, freely, and enjoying it as opposed to "oh no, not again") is the norm, not the exception.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I think so.

I've found a lot more unity and interaction in going to a church and visiting a temple than I have watching morons come out of nightclubs at three in the morning and being sick on the floor, fighting one another, and more unity within it than in a chess club or whatnot. Only thing I've seen just as much unity within is sport, which is more or less a god to some anyway. :shrug:

What about nationalism?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
doppelgänger;1398753 said:
What about nationalism?
Hmmm, often nationalism gives way to bigotry, I guess.
And bigotry is not something I like, being on the receiving end too often.

I like nationalism to a degree - there's nothing wrong with being proud of your country, but not when it starts becoming xenophobic.. :)

doppelganger

Hmmm, often nationalism gives way to bigotry, I guess.
And bigotry is not something I like, being on the receiving end too often.

I like nationalism to a degree - there's nothing wrong with being proud of your country, but not when it starts becoming xenophobic.. :)
And religion doesn't "often give way to bigotry"?

My point in asking is that in groups of people who share in the unity of an identity, haven't you noticed that nationalism is phenomenally far more successful than the identity structures we group under "religion" in creating a sense of that unity? Often to the point that most "modern" people recognize nationalistic authority over religious authority when the two are in conflict?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
doppelgänger;1398774 said:
And religion doesn't "often give way to bigotry"?

My point in asking is that in groups of people who share in the unity of an identity, haven't you noticed that nationalism is phenomenally far more successful than the identity structures we group under "religion" in creating a sense of that unity? Often to the point that most "modern" people recognize nationalistic authority over religious authority when the two are in conflict?
*sigh* I already said religion does - and that's something it needs to stop. :D

I haven't "noticed nationalism is a phenomenally far more successful than the identity structures grouped under religion", actually. I've been to church with Africans, Chinese, etc, and I preferred that. It was overall inclusive, not skin or birthplace or where you've settled based.

doppelganger

I've been to church with Africans, Chinese, etc, and I preferred that. It was overall inclusive, not skin or birthplace or where you've settled based.
How many Muslims were praying to Allah at your church meetings? How many Taoists attended? How many chaos magicians were deliberately creating new poetic forms as part of the service? Did the atheists sit at the front or the back during the ceremony?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
doppelgänger;1398786 said:
How many Muslims were praying to Allah at your church meetings? How many Taoists attended? How many chaos magicians were deliberately creating new poetic forms as part of the service? Did the atheists sit at the front or the back during the ceremony?
Actually, there have often been atheists at the church I used to attend- one of my closest friends was one of them. Many take an interest for some reason.

Why've you taken that tone with me?
And, let me explain some things:

1. It's not "my" church, not any more
2. They were services, not meetings

Not many Muslims would owe their identity to the nation I'm from, most would identify with the ummah - the global Muslim community.

leahrachelle

doppelgänger;1398786 said:

My parents make me go to the church and I sit in the back out of respect :) Haha.
I say all the prayers and stuff, though. It doesn't hurt. The only thing I don't do is get communion (Catholic).

doppelganger

Actually, there have often been atheists at the church I used to attend- one of my closest friends was one of them. Many take an interest for some reason.
Is there a unity with them?

Why've you taken that tone with me?
Because you kept changing the subject (intentionally or not).

1. It's not "my" church, not any more

Then it didn't create much unity.

2. They were services, not meetings

I wrote "services" in my post. :shrug:

Not many Muslims would owe their identity to the nation I'm from, most would identify with the ummah - the global Muslim community.
In LDCs that is frequently the case. In the modern industrialized world, it is not. Hence the adjective "modern" in my post.

doppelganger

My parents make me go to the church and I sit in the back out of respect :) Haha.
I say all the prayers and stuff, though. It doesn't hurt. The only thing I don't do is get communion (Catholic).
Are you a citizen of a particular country despite being an atheist?