• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the world need religion?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
doppelgänger;1398808 said:
Is there a unity with them?
They're treated as equals and welcomed. Anyone who went to the church I went to was welcome. I even dragged a Wiccan friend once, and they loved him there.

Because you kept changing the subject (intentionally or not).
I don't get what subject I've changed. I've answered what you've asked me. Ask me clearly, and I'll be able to answer, if that's the case. Don't expect me to read into things, I've never been able to do that.

Then it didn't create much unity.
No, it did. I just don't go to it because I'm not a Christian - and I don't see the point in going if I'm not a Christian. If I wanted to go, I could - and whenever I have gone they've welcomed me even knowing I no longer believe. I've not had "You're not one of us, now shove off" come my way. Ever ever ever.

I wrote "services" in my post. :shrug:
You said "meetings". :p

In LDCs that is frequently the case. In the modern industrialized world, it is not. Hence the adjective "modern" in my post.
I don't follow. Nevermind that.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
From a non-religious view:
In my opinion, we may or may not have a bigger purpose . Since we don't know what it is, We seem to just be sitting her repopulating the earth for no reason, but there is so much more out there and we know so very little about the universe around us. If we were supposed to know what our purpose is, though, I think that we would.
So until we know, or never know, we are born, we live, and we die. As simple as that is, it is extremely hard for most people to grasp that concept. They cannot break away the religion that their parents have taught them because they like the comfort that hope gives them, despite all their doubts in the religion. The fact that there is nothing after we die is too depressing of a thought for most people. So, I think that religion is needed for most. If you can grasp the fact that there's nothing, great. If you can't , great. Religion makes a lot of people 'better people' and it makes them happy, so it is good that they have it. In fact, if I know that it would hurt someone mentally to know that there was nothing after we die, I would not encourage them to break away from religion. I might encourage it, even.

I am interested to hear people's opinions on this.

As you say,we have no way of knowing what happens when we die,for religious people its a comforting thought that when for example a relative dies they believe them to be in a better place.
Personally i am not a fan of any religion that has a holier than thou attitude but most are harmless and if their faith gives them comfort all well and good.
The thing is nobody can prove there is or there isn't life after we die so its not an open a shut case.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Well, at any Christian Church I attended, there were no Muslims praying on their knees and there were no Hindus talking of Krishna, and so on. If I went to a Islam Temple, I would be expected to do whatever they do and the same would be true if I went to a Hindu Temple, a Synagogue, or do whatever it is that Pagans do (I am sadly ignorant of Paganism). All these places, as far as I know, would be happy to receive visitors. Even at a lot of Christian Churches, people would welcome people of other faiths (or at least I think they would- I would).
I once went to a Synagogue for a tribute for the Holocaust victims. I did not feel out of place there although I am a Christian (and the members knew that we were, too). In fact, my family was welcomed very kindly.

leahrachelle

Well, at any Christian Church I attended, there were no Muslims praying on their knees and there were no Hindus talking of Krishna, and so on. If I went to a Islam Temple, I would be expected to do whatever they do and the same would be true if I went to a Hindu Temple, a Synagogue, or do whatever it is that Pagans do (I am sadly ignorant of Paganism). All these places, as far as I know, would be happy to receive visitors. Even at a lot of Christian Churches, people would welcome people of other faiths (or at least I think they would- I would).
I once went to a Synagogue for a tribute for the Holocaust victims. I did not feel out of place there although I am a Christian (and the members knew that we were, too). In fact, my family was welcomed very kindly.

I agree - I have see a lot of churches that welcome people of almost every religion. And they are extremely welcoming and kind.

leahrachelle

doppelgänger;1399104 said:
Do you feel a unity in citizenship with other people in your country, even if they are Christian, Jew, Hindu, etc.? And do you expect that they feel the same way even though you are an atheist?

I do feel unity, definately. But only with the people that are proud of the U.S. and grateful of how lucky we are to be in a free country. Those who could care less, I don't feel as much unity with.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I do feel unity, definately. But only with the people that are proud of the U.S. and grateful of how lucky we are to be in a free country. Those who could care less, I don't feel as much unity with.
What would you think if a Muslim citizen of your country decided that Sharia law was to be obeyed instead of your country's civil and criminal laws? How about a Roman Catholic citizen who considered her obligations to the Papal authority and the advancement of the Roman Catholic Church more important than the needs and future of your country?

leahrachelle

doppelgänger;1399124 said:
What would you think if a Muslim citizen of your country decided that Sharia law was to be obeyed instead of your country's civil and criminal laws? How about a Roman Catholic citizen who considered her obligations to the Papal authority and the advancement of the Roman Catholic Church more important than the needs and future of your country?

I know what you mean. We have a lot of religious controversy in our country just because it is so diverse. Pretty much everyone that lives here has immigrated from countries all over the world within the past 500 years. The Native Americans make you maybe 1% of our population. Probably less.
Anyways, two of our major issues right now are that God should be taken out of our - umm, I'm not sure what it's called exactly but it's the country anthem that you say, not sing. Also, a lot of schools up north have to stop at those 4 hours of the day and have prayer for Muslims. A lot, a lot of people are trying to stop that.
I understand that religion does not unite us that well sometimes, but can you imagine the world without it? The cons of it don't even compare to the pros.

tigrers99

In my opinion, we may or may not have a bigger purpose . Since we don't know what it is, We seem to just be sitting her repopulating the earth for no reason, but there is so much more out there and we know so very little about the universe around us. If we were supposed to know what our purpose is, though, I think that we would.
So until we know, or never know, we are born, we live, and we die. As simple as that is, it is extremely hard for most people to grasp that concept. They cannot break away the religion that their parents have taught them because they like the comfort that hope gives them, despite all their doubts in the religion. The fact that there is nothing after we die is too depressing of a thought for most people. So, I think that religion is needed for most. If you can grasp the fact that there's nothing, great. If you can't , great. Religion makes a lot of people 'better people' and it makes them happy, so it is good that they have it. In fact, if I know that it would hurt someone mentally to know that there was nothing after we die, I would not encourage them to break away from religion. I might encourage it, even.

I think all intelligent people are aware of the evidence within that leads them to greatly suspect that we are obligated to someone who we call God. C.S. Louis referred to this as a moral law 'pressing on us' and it is also referred to as the 'ought' or 'oughtness' that exists within. Natural Evolutionists are stranded with this. The reason being that while one is brought up a certain way, they are rewarded along the way for their obedience. Whether the reward is the avoidance of punishment for doing so, or the blessings of being given things they desired. Once the person is grown up and and their own, according to Natural Evolution, that person begins to excercise all their abilities to acquire all their needs and wants and there is no natural need in this process for any 'conscience' or 'oughtness'. Since it does exist, it proves that there is a problem with Natural Evolution. However, talking more about this could lead to an obligation to 'religion' so many skeptics back off at this point.

I do want to address something that does not get mentioned enough. It is the concept that many of the unconverted have about people, God, and heaven. Jesus said that one has to be 'born of the Spirit' (the Holy Spirit) in order to get into the kingdom of heaven (Jn.3:8). The person that allows the words of the New Testament to act within them for the first time, undergoes a paradigm shift in their spirit and is evidenced by their personality, psychology and morality. They gladly receive the New Testament commands and are eager to carry out the teachings applicable to them. In other words, their works come as a 'by-product' of being Spiritually born again. The unconverted church goer (most churches today are made up of these) and the skeptic, think that one must follow, or try to follow, a certain number of commands (defined by the church or denomination) in order to get to go to heaven, no matter how much the person loathes them.

chaffdog

This is my view: we cannot know whether there is a god or a metaphysical setup of some kind or not no matter what we do on this earth. What, therefore, is the point of believing or debating religions that can only be based originally on the speculations and hopes of ignorant people? Just wait, that is what you'll end up doing anyway. De something else for the rest of your life.

idea

Question Everything
non-religion is also a RELIGION.
Agree.

You know the "fine tuning problem"?
Anthropic Principle & Fine Tuning - Multiverse and/or Intelligent Design?

I always think to this little conversation with subjects like this...

39 Now Alma said unto him: Will ye deny again that there is a God, and also deny the Christ? For behold, I say unto you, I know there is a God, and also that Christ shall come.
40 And now what evidence have ye that there is no God, or that Christ cometh not? I say unto you that ye have none, save it be your word only.
41 But, behold, I have all things as a testimony that these things are true; and ye also have all things as a testimony unto you that they are true; and will ye deny them? Believest thou that these things are true?
42 Behold, I know that thou believest, but thou art possessed with a lying spirit, and ye have put off the Spirit of God that it may have no place in you; but the devil has power over you, and he doth carry you about, working devices that he may destroy the children of God.
43 And now Korihor said unto Alma: If thou wilt show me a sign, that I may be convinced that there is a God, yea, show unto me that he hath power, and then will I be convinced of the truth of thy words.
44 But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also all the holy prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.
(Book of Mormon | Alma30:39 - 44)

This is my view: we cannot know whether there is a god

We can come to know that there is a God.

What we cannot know is about any multiverse in some different space-time...

Last edited:

leahrachelle

I think all intelligent people are aware of the evidence within that leads them to greatly suspect that we are obligated to someone who we call God.

I find that very offensive, but I am not going to even bother to get into it because if you are that ignorant that you think you think all atheists are unintelligent, you arnt worth my time honestly..

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I find that very offensive, but I am not going to even bother to get into it because if you are that ignorant that you think you think all atheists are unintelligent...
He didn't say that, nor imply it; you seem to have twisted it a bit. However much you needn't take offense at the ideas expressed, skepticism is still healthy. ;)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Can the "Big Bang" be considered a God? I know that Deists believe in something similar but I am wondering about atheists, too. Does the idea of a god necessarily have to be a being or can it be an idea?

Ozzie

I think most peoples' religious sense evolves as they encounter mysteries in life. I'd say the world requires an evolving sense of religion that implies openess.

leahrachelle

He didn't say that, nor imply it; you seem to have twisted it a bit. However much you needn't take offense at the ideas expressed, skepticism is still healthy. ;)

The point of the post was that religion should be respected and he's gonna come and say we're all unintelligent.. That bothers me I'm sorry :/

leahrachelle

Can the "Big Bang" be considered a God? I know that Deists believe in something similar but I am wondering about atheists, too. Does the idea of a god necessarily have to be a being or can it be an idea?

I've always taken God as a 'all powerful, all knowing, and in charge of everything that exists.' I'm sure everyone kind of has a different definition for it, though.
Also, the big bang doesn't explain how life was formed, it just explains how we keep ending up where we are. The Big Bang Theory involves the fact that we keep 'big-banging.' Its an endless cycle. We compress, we store up a lot of energy, and the the compression bursts. Over time we slowly compress back towards the center of the universe - wherever that may be.

tigrers99

I think all intelligent people are aware of the evidence within that leads them to greatly suspect that we are obligated to someone who we call God. C.S. Louis referred to this as a moral law 'pressing on us' and it is also referred to as the 'ought' or 'oughtness' that exists within. Natural Evolutionists are stranded with this. The reason being that while one is brought up a certain way, they are rewarded along the way for their obedience. Whether the reward is the avoidance of punishment for doing so, or the blessings of being given things they desired. Once the person is grown up and and their own, according to Natural Evolution, that person begins to excercise all their abilities to acquire all their needs and wants and there is no natural need in this process for any 'conscience' or 'oughtness'. Since it does exist, it proves that there is a problem with Natural Evolution. However, talking more about this could lead to an obligation to 'religion' so many skeptics back off at this point.

I do want to address something that does not get mentioned enough. It is the concept that many of the unconverted have about people, God, and heaven. Jesus said that one has to be 'born of the Spirit' (the Holy Spirit) in order to get into the kingdom of heaven (Jn.3:8). The person that allows the words of the New Testament to act within them for the first time, undergoes a paradigm shift in their spirit and is evidenced by their personality, psychology and morality. They gladly receive the New Testament commands and are eager to carry out the teachings applicable to them. In other words, their works come as a 'by-product' of being Spiritually born again. The unconverted church goer (most churches today are made up of these) and the skeptic, think that one must follow, or try to follow, a certain number of commands (defined by the church or denomination) in order to get to go to heaven, no matter how much the person loathes them.

It is my belief that all intelligent people (Atheists, Agnostics, and Theists) are aware of the evidence within (oughtness) that leads them to greatly suspect that we are obligated to someone who we call God. People hold to many reasons for refusing to believe that God exists and our obligation to Him. What I have found is that the reason for most of these intelligent people for not believing, is that there is no scientific means for determining that such a being exists. For them, strong suspicion backed with this non-scientific evidence, is not enough. They have been unconsciously conditioned against being spiritually reborn.

gnomon

It is my belief that all intelligent people (Atheists, Agnostics, and Theists) are aware of the evidence within (oughtness) that leads them to greatly suspect that we are obligated to someone who we call God. People hold to many reasons for refusing to believe that God exists and our obligation to Him. What I have found is that the reason for most of these intelligent people for not believing, is that there is no scientific means for determining that such a being exists. For them, strong suspicion backed with this non-scientific evidence, is not enough. They have been unconsciously conditioned against being spiritually reborn.

No.

I just see nothing that religion offers that cannot be had without it. Nor do I see any reason to redefine religion as the glue that holds us together and equivocate God with the word love.

Of course, many religions offer this salvation thing but I'll worry about that when I'm dead.