• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dutch Doctors Call for Circumcision Ban

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So as I said, while plastic surgery is not and will never be labeled as "mutilation" because of obvious reasons, the same standard would seem to apply to circumcision.
The standard for plastic surgery is that it's not routinely performed on infants, except to correct specifically identified problems. If that's the standard you want to apply to circumcision, then I think that's just fine.

Bismillah

Submit
The standard for plastic surgery is that it's not routinely performed on infants, except to correct specifically identified problems. If that's the standard you want to apply to circumcision, then I think that's just fine.
What does that standard have to do with mutilation which is largely independent of what age you are mutilated...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Wait you mean it is? What is it otherwise? From what I could see there were no physical dangers for the webbing.
Here's the difference: there is nothing wrong with the foreskin. It is not a deficiency or deformation by any stretch of the imagination. OTOH, neck webbing is, as your article implies, a malformation. It's reasonable for parents to want to "fix" their child's malformation, even if it's mild.

IMO, it's unreasonable to consider a foreskin a malformation.

If you want to argue that your god has commanded you to circumcise your children, then that's one thing, but you seem to be arguing for something completely different.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
True, but what we are discussing is whether circumcision can be called, in all honesty, "mutilation". As I've pointed out earlier, the aesthetics are relative and there is no credible evidence at all that the function of penis is compromised or minimized.

So as I said, while plastic surgery is not and will never be labeled as "mutilation" because of obvious reasons, the same standard would seem to apply to circumcision

Plastic surgery is sometimes called mutilation. It depends on the reason and procedure. Most cosmetic surgeries don't remove a body part and are due to a perceived or real abnormality. It's a broad category compared to the specific instance of newborn circumcision.

I'm not opposed to religious groups practicing it, but I'd like the U.S. to not offer it as a standard procedure. I think a reasonable compromise would be something similar to opting out of vaccines, requiring notarized signature of the parent stating their wishes.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
While I don't support a ban-- even though it is inconsistant to allow circumcision, it is such a culturally ingrained practice with pretty small negative effects-- I do not plan on circumcising my son, should I have one.

I would hope that doctors make it more clear that circumcision is a choice and not a medically necessary procedure. It shouldn't just be assumed that that is the only good option for loving parents to make. I would like to see more literature out there for the public, in office waiting rooms etc, basically stating that circumcision is optional and medically unnecessary.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I would hope that doctors make it more clear that circumcision is a choice and not a medically necessary procedure. It shouldn't just be assumed that that is the only good option for loving parents to make.
I'd go further: IMO, except where a parent actually feels obliged to have circumcision done, I think it's an unloving act.

I have some sympathy for the mindset that says that it's unpleasant but necessary... but take away the "necessary" part of that (as is the case in the majority of circumcisions that take place in the US), then all you're left with is "unpleasant", and without a compelling reason to do it, I don't think it should be inflicted on a child.

Gemini

I wonder what the ratio of circumcised men that are against infant circumcision is. I, for one, wish the parents would've gotten that out of the way when I was little. I wonder if anyone here is taking their beautifully sculpted and streamlined manhood for granted.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
To even compare these two acts is pure insanity. Really.

Not so,the comparison is that the Baby has no choice in the matter,it is after all an uneccessary painful procedure,more,what if the Baby gets to adulthood and decides the culture or religion that requires circumcision isn't for him,or is the reason its done when the Boy is a Baby he wouldn't choose to do it as an adult.

SPACKlick

The only argument I've ever heard in FAVOUR of young infant circumcision is that it hurts less and heals better. So assuming someone is going to have it done, it's better to have it done before they're old enough to choose.

However, other than in specific cases (frenulum breve, phimosis etc), there is no benefit to doing it. There are some studies showing small links in both directions with STD transfer but the health benefits are not significant. The sexual effect is generally detrimental.

I think the way to ask yourself this question is to ignore what body part it is and say "If there were a part of my body that could be removed and would heal, that caused no significant problems and the removal would cause some detriment would you be happy if someone knocked you out and removed it because doing it without consent made it heal better?"

If anybody answers that question "yes" I'd like to know why.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think circumcision should be the default position.

This.

I don't have a problem with circumcision, especially religious, but I don't agree that it should be the norm or default in society. This is just humans encouraging each other to be further dissatisfied with our natural body, which is ridiculous and harmful.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I don't think circumcision should be the default position.

In most of the world it is not the default position.
In Europe it is something you would have to ask for, and more than likely go to hospital for, family Doctors in the UK are not taught how to do it.

I resent the wast of money to the NHS having to do it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I wonder what the ratio of circumcised men that are against infant circumcision is. I, for one, wish the parents would've gotten that out of the way when I was little. I wonder if anyone here is taking their beautifully sculpted and streamlined manhood for granted.

Do you also wish they had had your earlobes removed to give you "beautifully sculpted and streamlined ears"? Except for cases of religious obligation, it's really no different; either one is just a an arbitrary aesthetic preference.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Of course it's different. Circumcision, by nearly all reputable medical testimony, has negligible negative effects on sensation and function of the penis, and if anything may have some minor positive effects in prevention of fungal and bacterial infections of the penis, disease transmission, and reduction in penile cancer. There is little reliable evidence that circumcision, if properly done, is any more painful than getting injections, or any number of other medical tests and procedures we all regularly have done to our children.

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but according to pretty much all health organizations in the world, routine circumcision is not beneficial.

Unless it has concrete benefits, it's just mutilating a child because of the parents' religious beliefs or aesthetic preference.

The point is it is not an attack on Jews or Muslims or any other religious group. It's opposing the mutilation of children without their consent.