• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESP, psychic and supernatural phenomenon... yes or no?

cablescavenger

lol.
I thought you were on about fallingblood.
I know James Randi is well known in the US, and that bet has been going a long time, for very good reason.

I think he is not so known here, he had a late night show in the early 90's called James Randi, Psychic Investigator, but it was a late night show.

I have no time for fraudsters who prey on the vulnerable, and he does a good job of finding them out.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I believe you have faith in that.

I dont.

If the myth was busted people would not still be producing positive enough results to be employed in major corporations and law enforcement.

If it was busted it would be common kowledge, its not.

Not really. Creationism has been busted but I don't think we can call that common knowledge. Psychics have been busted over and over again yet they are still employed by police departments and other corporations.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
lol.
I thought you were on about fallingblood.
I know James Randi is well known in the US, and that bet has been going a long time, for very good reason.

I think he is not so known here, he had a late night show in the early 90's called James Randi, Psychic Investigator, but it was a late night show.

I have no time for fraudsters who prey on the vulnerable, and he does a good job of finding them out.
I agree with this. I think the work James Randi does is great. I have his books, and have watched many of this speeches and the like. I have even had the chance to converse with him in the past. He is doing a great job.

However, my point was more that when he moves from his expertise, and into something he seemingly hasn't done much study on (I say this as when he does talk about religious topics, such as the town of Nazareth, he seems to be unaware of what scholars say), he simply doesn't have much credibility, and really is not an authority. But when he speaks about supernatural phenomena, and exposing frauds, he knows what he is talking about.

outhouse

Atheistically
I agree with this. I think the work James Randi does is great. I have his books, and have watched many of this speeches and the like. I have even had the chance to converse with him in the past. He is doing a great job.

However, my point was more that when he moves from his expertise, and into something he seemingly hasn't done much study on (I say this as when he does talk about religious topics, such as the town of Nazareth, he seems to be unaware of what scholars say), he simply doesn't have much credibility, and really is not an authority. But when he speaks about supernatural phenomena, and exposing frauds, he knows what he is talking about.

isnt that called inegrity and or lack of. Either the man is talking garbage or hes not. ??? I agree that on Nazereth he is as lost as he is on dowsing.

I remember 20 years ago busting the ideomotor myth on dowsing with the plastic diving rod and watching it flex downwards. tempted to see if I can recreate it.

cablescavenger

Thank you for clarifying Fallinblood. I appreciate it.

thebigpicture

Do you believe in it? Yes or no?

I am a sceptic when it comes to supernatural phenomenon... Except for my belief in God, the Afterlife, the soul, and the material realm, it is difficult for me to believe in angels, demigods, ghosts and demons, seeing them as metaphorical.

ESP and psychic phenomenon, furthermore, are things that are occurring within the material laws instead of above them; after all, if humans are capable of them, why not? It goes back to Vaishnavism teaching that siddhis, or yogic powers, are attainable, yet pointless in spiritual life because they distract and can lead to pride.

The word "psychic" has such a negative stigma attached and with good reason. There are so many people out there calling themselves psychics that are just robbing people blind, preying on their desperation. However, there are definitely people in the world with very real and true “insight” that goes beyond the normal level of the average person. As for other aspects of the spiritual world -- it’s real.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
However, there are definitely people in the world with very real and true “insight” that goes beyond the normal level of the average person. As for other aspects of the spiritual world -- it’s real.

Evidence?

*Sits back to watch the house of cards collapse*

thebigpicture

Evidence?

*Sits back to watch the house of cards collapse*

(Chuckles) Apparently, you have me confused with someone who feels they need to prove something to you. This is not a theatre; I'm not here to entertain you with a magic show. Experience. That's all I can tell you. You either believe it or you don't. When and if you ever experience something that changes you skepticism, maybe you can put on that little magic show you expected from me for someone else who's a skeptic like you.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
(Chuckles) Apparently, you have me confused with someone who feels they need to prove something to you. This is not a theatre; I'm not here to entertain you with a magic show. Experience. That's all I can tell you. You either believe it or you don't. When and if you ever experience something that changes you skepticism, maybe you can put on that little magic show you expected from me for someone else who's a skeptic like you.

So you admit that your claim is unfounded and has no evidential backing, meaning that it can be dismissed right away?
Good to know. :sarcastic

A word of advice though: It makes you look bad when you present your opinions and baseless beliefs about the world as if they are facts.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Actually, it is more than that. You stated that people definitely have these supernatural powers. That is a statement of fact. Facts can be supported by evidence. You simply haven't provide evidence.

So your statement should have been that you personally believe that people definitely have these powers. There is quite a big difference there.

It is fine if you believe in this stuff, as long as you admit that it is based on faith. However, once you start saying that they exist for sure, then you have to back that up.

crystalonyx

Do you believe in it? Yes or no?

I am a sceptic when it comes to supernatural phenomenon... Except for my belief in God, the Afterlife, the soul, and the material realm, it is difficult for me to believe in angels, demigods, ghosts and demons, seeing them as metaphorical.

ESP and psychic phenomenon, furthermore, are things that are occurring within the material laws instead of above them; after all, if humans are capable of them, why not? It goes back to Vaishnavism teaching that siddhis, or yogic powers, are attainable, yet pointless in spiritual life because they distract and can lead to pride.

I don't believe in ghosts or the paranormal. Shows like "Ghosthunters" insult our intelligence by equating every "unexplaned" light, noise, burp, or movement as being a
ghost. There are many things illogical about the beliefs in ghosts and the paranormal.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I don't believe in ghosts or the paranormal. Shows like "Ghosthunters" insult our intelligence by equating every "unexplaned" light, noise, burp, or movement as being a ghost. There are many things illogical about the beliefs in ghosts and the paranormal.

It only insults your intelligence if you have enough to know whether something is BS or not.

Erebus

Psychic ability I'm agnostic about so to speak. I know how to cold read and I'm fascinated by mentalism so I know the odd trick of the trade.
I think I often have a hard time with divination and psychic ability since it could so easily be coincidence and so many elements of it are too vague to be meaningful. Take Astrology for example, I'm Aquarius in both moon and star sign and I fit the description of a "typical" Aquarius perfectly well. I also know plenty of people who don't fit their sign at all.

Demons, spirits and gods I absolutely believe in as do I believe in magic.

Ghosts are an odd one as I've seen a "ghost" before and after several years of being in Australia, my uncle described the same thing I saw without us having ever discussed it previously. To me this rules out hallucination, but whether we saw a dead man's soul, an emotional imprint or we were affected by underground quartz deposits etc I don't know.

outhouse

Atheistically
Psychic ability I'm agnostic about so to speak. I know how to cold read and I'm fascinated by mentalism so I know the odd trick of the trade.
I think I often have a hard time with divination and psychic ability since it could so easily be coincidence and so many elements of it are too vague to be meaningful. Take Astrology for example, I'm Aquarius in both moon and star sign and I fit the description of a "typical" Aquarius perfectly well. I also know plenty of people who don't fit their sign at all.

Demons, spirits and gods I absolutely believe in as do I believe in magic.

Ghosts are an odd one as I've seen a "ghost" before and after several years of being in Australia, my uncle described the same thing I saw without us having ever discussed it previously. To me this rules out hallucination, but whether we saw a dead man's soul, an emotional imprint or we were affected by underground quartz deposits etc I don't know.

theres a group of houses near where I live, over a 30 span ive know 5 families that never knew one another. each family described the same exact ghost down to details and a few people ive seen in the one same house that were downright terrified.

Im not keen on ghost and doent know if I believe or not despite the historical evidence

Erebus

theres a group of houses near where I live, over a 30 span ive know 5 families that never knew one another. each family described the same exact ghost down to details and a few people ive seen in the one same house that were downright terrified.

Im not keen on ghost and doent know if I believe or not despite the historical evidence

Yeah ghosts are definitely an odd topic, it's a shame there's so many hoaxes and "ghosthunter" rubbish surrounding them. Like I say I don't know exactly what it was I saw, but I know I saw it. At the same time though I could understand why somebody wouldn't believe in them without seeing one firsthand, especially if they've seen one of those godawful ghost hunting shows.

outhouse

Atheistically
Yeah ghosts are definitely an odd topic, it's a shame there's so many hoaxes and "ghosthunter" rubbish surrounding them. Like I say I don't know exactly what it was I saw, but I know I saw it. At the same time though I could understand why somebody wouldn't believe in them without seeing one firsthand, especially if they've seen one of those godawful ghost hunting shows.

LOL i agree on those shows being a utter waist of time.

When I was a young child I did see what looked like ghost in the hallway as I was going to get water.

3 beings all in colorful robes with no feet below them and almost a cross between a wallrus face and a dog, see through. One in the center seemed more royal then the others. Ive been told they were watchers as in the OT

I sleep walked alot so i dont put any weight into my sighting, all i know is I was standing in the middle of the hallway screaming my fool head off when my mom and dad came running to see what was going on.

Erebus

LOL i agree on those shows being a utter waist of time.

When I was a young child I did see what looked like ghost in the hallway as I was going to get water.

3 beings all in colorful robes with no feet below them and almost a cross between a wallrus face and a dog, see through. One in the center seemed more royal then the others. Ive been told they were watchers as in the OT

I sleep walked alot so i dont put any weight into my sighting, all i know is I was standing in the middle of the hallway screaming my fool head off when my mom and dad came running to see what was going on.

That's cool :D

Hey even if it was just a waking dream you've got characters for a story or a painting there.

thebigpicture

So you admit that your claim is unfounded and has no evidential backing, meaning that it can be dismissed right away?
Good to know. :sarcastic

A word of advice though: It makes you look bad when you present your opinions and baseless beliefs about the world as if they are facts.

LOL!! Does that delusion-filled response work on other people? Sorry. Doesn't work on me. Let me know if you ever get to put on that magic show though!