• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESP, psychic and supernatural phenomenon... yes or no?

thebigpicture

Actually, it is more than that. You stated that people definitely have these supernatural powers. That is a statement of fact. Facts can be supported by evidence. You simply haven't provide evidence.

So your statement should have been that you personally believe that people definitely have these powers. There is quite a big difference there.

Go back and re-read my reply to the OP and see if you can spot where you went wrong in your interpretation of what I wrote.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
LOL!! Does that delusion-filled response work on other people? Sorry. Doesn't work on me. Let me know if you ever get to put on that magic show though!

I don't know where you have been educated (or whether you have been educated at all), but where I come from we substantiate the claims we make.
And if you don't think claims need to be substantiated for them to be believable, I have an invisible dragon in my hallway that I suspect you'll be interested in hearing about.

thebigpicture

I don't know where you have been educated (or whether you have been educated at all), but where I come from we substantiate the claims we make.
And if you don't think claims need to be substantiated for them to be believable, I have an invisible dragon in my hallway that I suspect you'll be interested in hearing about.

If you think that everybody has to believe a fact in order for that fact to be an actual fact, you're delusional. People disbelieve what clearly are facts all the time. I'm not going to waste my time proving something like that to a skeptic. You either believe it or you don't. Some things people have to experience firsthand in order for their views to change, which I completely understand. If and when you experience something, then you'll know. If not, then you'll remain a skeptic. Either way, I'm good.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
If you think that everybody has to believe a fact in order for that fact to be an actual fact, you're delusional. People disbelieve what clearly are facts all the time. I'm not going to waste my time proving something like that to a skeptic. You either believe it or you don't. Some things people have to experience firsthand in order for their views to change, which I completely understand. If and when you experience something, then you'll know. If not, then you'll remain a skeptic. Either way, I'm good.

So, you're choosing to go with a cop out? :sarcastic
Not what I would have done, but each to his own I guess...

gnomon

A high school drop out with no degree in any of the sciences is a scientist? Ok if you say so.

Oh please.

Years spent conducting double blind experiments, learning hot to set up proper controls for specific claims and helping far more people to understand and attend to the sciences than most high school teachers could ever hope.

Standing up and saying the man is a high school drop out therefore it is incredulous that he could be a scientist is just foolish.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Oh please.

Years spent conducting double blind experiments, learning hot to set up proper controls for specific claims and helping far more people to understand and attend to the sciences than most high school teachers could ever hope.

Standing up and saying the man is a high school drop out therefore it is incredulous that he could be a scientist is just foolish.

so true ,,,, eveyone is a scientist at some level :yes:

thebigpicture

I went wrong in actually reading it? I don't like guessing games.

(LAUGHS!) Nope! Close...but not quite. You went wrong in actually reading it...wrongly. (smh) C'mon now, it's not so difficult that you have to go and turn it into a whole guessing game. The answer's staring back at you plain as day. If you can't see something that's so simple quickly, then clearly there's no point in carrying on. A little advice for future reference, though -- don't put words in my mouth, or in this case, don't print words beneath my fingertips. If you're going to paraphrase me, interpret me correctly; otherwise, you know...keep it moving.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
(LAUGHS!) Nope! Close...but not quite. You went wrong in actually reading it...wrongly. (smh) C'mon now, it's not so difficult that you have to go and turn it into a whole guessing game. The answer's staring back at you plain as day. If you can't see something that's so simple quickly, then clearly there's no point in carrying on. A little advice for future reference, though -- don't put words in my mouth, or in this case, don't print words beneath my fingertips. If you're going to paraphrase me, interpret me correctly; otherwise, you know...keep it moving.
If I didn't interpret you correctly, then please show me where I went wrong. You simply saying that I interpreted you wrong, and then refusing to actually state where, is only a dodge. It doesn't show I interpreted you wrong. And really, I don't have a want for a guessing game where you don't actually state what you're thinking.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
(Chuckles) Call it whatever you want, buddy. Whatever makes your clock tick.

Oh, I will.
I'm just not sure if 'cop out' or 'chickening out' has more of a ring to it. :sarcastic
Which do you think better conveys the meaning of someone who jumps into an argument presenting claims left right and centre, and who afterwards realizes that they do not have a single leg to stand on, and who then desperately tries to save face by acting casual about it? :D

rusra02

Premium Member
Except various Biblical heros were said to have similar powers. So it is also, if we believe the Bible, a product of God.

Yes, but the source of their powers was God. The source of occult powers is, ultimately, the devil. Therefore, the Bible condemns all occult practices. (Deuteronomy 18:10-12)

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
God, obviously. Of course God could simply destroy Satan and declare "Game Over".

God created man and angels. Satan "challenged" his creation of man. God said "prove it".

And here we are, pawns with free-will.

So that means that the occult powers (assuming there is such a thing) that some make use of, actually come from god? ;)

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
No. From Satan or his demons.

But you just admitted that they got their powers from God, which means that all the power (according to you) comes from God.

Did Jeffrey Dahmers' evil nature come from his mother or father?

He seems to have had some social dysfunction disorder stemming from a hernia operation when he was six, although we cannot rule out that other factors played a role as well. We know that he had drinking problems in high school, and that he was probably neglected by his father, with whom he lived at the time.
All in all, there were probably several factors leading to his violent and sadistic behaviour.

However, I do not see how any of this is relevant. :sarcastic