• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Christian here.

Ethos88

firstly i believe in evolution dude, it doesnt counteract on the christian faith in any way, its just crazies still hold on to the belief.

God "murders" those who deserve it, so no it isnt hole riddled, he doesnt just do it for the heck like ive been saying.

You believe in Evolution and Christianity as the same time? Wow you are a first, so you believe that we evolved from micro-organisms to disnosaurs to apes to inteligent humans in a matter of a few thousand years?

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.
You are avoiding the argument, the Islamic religion orders you to kill all infedels, which is about 85% of the world. Thats pretty damn violent in my opinion.
I'm not avoiding the argument. I was putting another factor in the cause of the aggression in the middle east. But since most of the middle east is Islamic and if you remove the Islamic faith and since a majority of the middle eastern countries are Islamic and thats a major role in their agreement with each other. What would stopped them then from fighting against each other to be in control of the earths most sought out resource?

tarasan

You believe in Evolution and Christianity as the same time? Wow you are a first, so you believe that we evolved from micro-organisms to disnosaurs to apes to inteligent humans in a matter of a few thousand years?

dude there are tons of us...... most christians believe in evolution now, and no not in a few thousand years that rediculous it is millions and millions of years, sceince in our view teaches us about Gods world and the laws that it made for it to function.

Thesavorofpan

You just said a Hero figure would be sufficent to get morals, which I have no argument, but why does the "hero" figure have to be religious? That last part seemed like you threw it in there just for the sake of proving religion gives you morals.

I was saying that I haven't seen a civilization that was started with no type of religion.

Ethos88

dude there are tons of us...... most christians believe in evolution now, and no not in a few thousand years that rediculous it is millions and millions of years, sceince in our view teaches us about Gods world and the laws that it made for it to function.

But that means that you would not believe in the bible...which is the word of God.

tarasan

But that means that you would not believe in the bible...which is the word of God.

ohhh mate........ thats just sad..... I dont take genesis one literally mate, it was symbolism to describe man falling out of favour with God, I mean this kind of interpretation was used way back in the times of Augustine mate, that the Genesis account didnt have to be valid and that was in 400bc!!

youll find that most of the church is more than willing to let sceince find out more about the world mate.

Thesavorofpan

Who do you think values life more? One who knows he has only one life, or one who thinks he will live eternally after he dies?

The one who has life eternally after death, because he knows that his actions in this life will determine how good his life afterwards.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Becuase I was raised Christian. I went to college started my study with sciences and I now realize that it's impossible for the Christian God to exist within the realm of science and logic. Guess which one has made hummanity better out of those two? I'll give you a hint it's not the Christian God for sure.

You mean Western civilization was on the same ethical level that we are today before Christianity?

Last I checked, that wasn't the case.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Christianity didn't start those schools. People did. If I made a school or hospital in the Name of a Noodle monster, that does't validate my beliefs. Christianity has also done a large amount of bad. Remember that thing called the crusades?

So Christianity didn't start schools or hospitals, but it did invade other countries?:confused:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Sure I'll explain.

Lets say you were born on a Island with no religion what so ever. You are raised exactly as you were now, without being told anything about the bible or God or whatever. Taking that ALL out of the equation, you would still find it wrong to steal, murder, ect. It doesnt take a God to decipher between right and wrong. Only common sense.

Guess what? I wasn't raised with a religion; my parents were agnostic. I didn't know who Jesus Christ was until Junior High.

I created my own religion based on video games. And I believed in it as passionately as any fundamentalist Christian.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Why is christianity not subject to being a myth then? Becuase people openly accept it? What if I oppenly accepted the olympian gods?

I did not say that parts of Christianity and the Bible were not myths. There is a lot of myth, being myth doesn't make it not true, it makes it not literal. Don't you know what a Monist is? I believe the Olympians and Titans could be part of God, like emminations, aspects, but I still believe in one God.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
All I said was that if you were baptized, that sacrament leaves an un-removable mark on you, and God will decide what that means in your case. God may have a different plan for your life, or he may yet draw you back to Christianity, but if you were baptized, you belong to him.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
You just said a Hero figure would be sufficent to get morals, which I have no argument, but why does the "hero" figure have to be religious? That last part seemed like you threw it in there just for the sake of proving religion gives you morals.

Ever hear of Prince Rama? He basically started off as a Hero.

Nowadays, he's worshiped as a God, some believing him to be the Supreme Being, most believing him to be a primary avatar of Lord Vishnu.

To put that in perspective, imagine going about 2000 years into the future, and finding entire religions based around Superman. Can you imagine what kind of religion that would be like?

LyricalDutchess

Chi-Alpha Daughter
I know for me, my belief in God isnt because i was simply raised in the faith. But because i got to a point in my life where i had to make a decision. And God made Himself real and known to me. Ive tried it on my own. And it didnt work. When i gave my life to Christ, i was forever changed.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
You are avoiding the argument, the Islamic religion orders you to kill all infedels, which is about 85% of the world. Thats pretty damn violent in my opinion.

I love it when I have the opportunity to repeat this Surah...

1. Say: O ye
That reject Faith!
2. I worship not that
Which ye worship,
3. Nor will ye worship
That which I worship.
4. And I will not worship
That which ye have been
Wont to worship,
5. Nor will ye worship
That which I worship.
6. To you be your Way,
And to me mine.
-Surah 109

Looks to me like the Qur'an teaches religious tolerance.:yes:

Ethos88

ohhh mate........ thats just sad..... I dont take genesis one literally mate, it was symbolism to describe man falling out of favour with God, I mean this kind of interpretation was used way back in the times of Augustine mate, that the Genesis account didnt have to be valid and that was in 400bc!!

youll find that most of the church is more than willing to let sceince find out more about the world mate.

I'll tell you right now, what you are calling Christianity is not Christianity at all. You cant pick and choose what you want out of the bible.

Ethos88

I know for me, my belief in God isnt because i was simply raised in the faith. But because i got to a point in my life where i had to make a decision. And God made Himself real and known to me. Ive tried it on my own. And it didnt work. When i gave my life to Christ, i was forever changed.

The only thing different that happened, is you started making better decisions in your life. The reason why it felt so good, is becuase you learned to accept what happens in your life. Your sense of security that God has a plan for you led you to believe that what unfolded in your lap was in fact the plan.

LoTrobador

I'll tell you right now, what you are calling Christianity is not Christianity at all. You cant pick and choose what you want out of the bible.

And how would that be necessarily picking and choosing (rather than simply interpreting non-literally)?