• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Christian here.

Ethos88

your right cause christianity never started schools, or hospitals or the like heck no.....

thats a very limited bais view at best mate, christianity has done a huge amount of good for the world.

Christianity didn't start those schools. People did. If I made a school or hospital in the Name of a Noodle monster, that does't validate my beliefs. Christianity has also done a large amount of bad. Remember that thing called the crusades?

Ethos88

Science isn't all that good. It has a dark side too. I think science is more of a neutral factor.

What is bad about science? It's provided you with the computer you are typing on, the clothes you are wearing, the good food that you eat, the fresh water that you drink. I could go on and on forever.

tarasan

Christianity didn't start those schools. People did. If I made a school or hospital in the Name of a Noodle monster, that does't validate my beliefs. Christianity has also done a large amount of bad. Remember that thing called the crusades?

yeah remeber the nukelear bomb?

and yes people did start them but religious faith was teh ignition pad, and i wasnt taking the validation of my beliefs i was attacking yuor thought that my religion has done nothing it clearly has.

ohhh and i wouldnt us the speggetti monster as an arguement it has been debunked time and time again as a stupid arguement.

Ethos88

yeah remeber the nukelear bomb?

and yes people did start them but religious faith was teh ignition pad, and i wasnt taking the validation of my beliefs i was attacking yuor thought that my religion has done nothing it clearly has.

ohhh and i wouldnt us the speggetti monster as an arguement it has been debunked time and time again as a stupid arguement.

Whats stupid about it? If I choose to believe it then it's clearly a religion, the same as with Christianity.

Ok I will give it to you that Christianity has been the basis for great things happening, but in the end if you say "I build this school in the name of God." makes no more difference than if you say "I build this school in the name of applejuice." PEOPLE do good things, not religion.

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.
What is bad about science? It's provided you with the computer you are typing on, the clothes you are wearing, the good food that you eat, the fresh water that you drink. I could go on and on forever.

:facepalm: Science has created gun powder. Science has created metal working in which creates sword, knifes, etc. Science has created bombs, Science has created diseases, Science has created nuclear weapons, Science has polluted the water we drink. Science has created drugs. I could go on forever.

tarasan

Whats stupid about it? If I choose to believe it then it's clearly a religion, the same as with Christianity.

Ok I will give it to you that Christianity has been the basis for great things happening, but in the end if you say "I build this school in the name of God." makes no more difference than if you say "I build this school in the name of applejuice." PEOPLE do good things, not religion.

yes they do it because of the religion, you dont do things because of apple juice because it doesnt tell you what to do.

when have you ever heard of apple juice saying to help the poor hmmmm? what your saying is absurd.

religion teaches us how to treat people, their religion taught the monks to be kind to those people so they built a hospital, without the religion telling people to kind to others would they have? i dont think the answer would be simple.

Ethos88

:facepalm: Science has created gun powder. Science has created metal working in which creates sword, knifes, etc. Science has created bombs, Science has created diseases, Science has created nuclear weapons, Science has polluted the water we drink. Science has created drugs. I could go on forever.

Science provides tools, Do you think a rock in the hand of a murderer is any less dangerous then a sword?

Thesavorofpan

God didn't cause the crusades, it was political leaders and their greed. They just used their influence in the church to convince people to join their armies. God doesn't start wars. Men do.

Ethos88

yes they do it because of the religion, you dont do things because of apple juice because it doesnt tell you what to do.

when have you ever heard of apple juice saying to help the poor hmmmm? what your saying is absurd.

religion teaches us how to treat people, their religion taught the monks to be kind to those people so they built a hospital, without the religion telling people to kind to others would they have? i dont think the answer would be simple.

What you are saying is that religion gives us morals, which is completely false. It is easily possible to obtain morals with out "divine" assistance.

Ethos88

God didn't cause the crusades, it was political leaders and their greed. They just used their influence in the church to convince people to join their armies. God doesn't start wars. Men do.

None the less, religion was the forefront. It was in the name of God regardless. If the world had no religion I gurantee you it would be a much more peacfull place.

Thesavorofpan

Science provides tools, Do you think a rock in the hand of a murderer is any less dangerous then a sword?

You said science only provides good and I put evidence for science also does bad too. Whether or not a murder has a rock or sword doesn't change the fact that Science makes clothes and It also makes drugs that harm the body.

tarasan

What you are saying is that religion gives us morals, which is completely false. It is easily possible to obtain morals with out "divine" assistance.

well then maybe you should tell me how?

although we clearly have got morals wrong in the past what with all teh genecides and baby sacrifices, and the like but im sure all those inconvient hicups you cant sort out in the next post ill just sit here and wait.

Ethos88

You said science only provides good and I put evidence for science also does bad too. Whether or not a murder has a rock or sword doesn't change the fact that Science makes clothes and It also makes drugs that harm the body.

So you are telling me you would enjoy your life better if you lived in the same manner as those in the bible?

Thesavorofpan

None the less, religion was the forefront. It was in the name of God regardless. If the world had no religion I gurantee you it would be a much more peacfull place.

No you wouldn't. You would still have the same greedy, violent evil people who just wouldn't be able to make up an excuses to justify their acts.

tarasan

So you are telling me you would enjoy your life better if you lived in the same manner as those in the bible?

either way there is still terrible stuff happening, they have swords we have gaint missles, ultimately the only differnce is that we have bigger toys.

Ethos88

well then maybe you should tell me how?

although we clearly have got morals wrong in the past what with all teh genecides and baby sacrifices, and the like but im sure all those inconvient hicups you cant sort out in the next post ill just sit here and wait.

Sure I'll explain.

Lets say you were born on a Island with no religion what so ever. You are raised exactly as you were now, without being told anything about the bible or God or whatever. Taking that ALL out of the equation, you would still find it wrong to steal, murder, ect. It doesnt take a God to decipher between right and wrong. Only common sense.

tarasan

Sure I'll explain.

Lets say you were born on a Island with no religion what so ever. You are raised exactly as you were now, without being told anything about the bible or God or whatever. Taking that ALL out of the equation, you would still find it wrong to steal, murder, ect. It doesnt take a God to decipher between right and wrong. Only common sense.

that is incredibly silly i was raised on religious values, the west was built upon religious values i may not believe in the God but i will still have Gods values, so he will be influencing me indirectly.

have could you not have seen that....