• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Experiencing God

Muffled

Jesus in me
Since we often can't prove that fantasy isn't fantasy, so what?

Demonstrate to me that dragons and wizards aren't real.

I don't believe we can prove they never existed but it seems there is no evidence of them existing in our current era.
Some people think that the current situation means that the past situation should be the same but that goes under the assumption that things don't change.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Tis a shame "staff members" can't be ignored, as this kind of reasoning is too juvenile to warrant attention.

I don't believe it is juvenile but it certainly is incorrect although pervasive on this site. My experience is contemporary and I report it so it is historical. Fantasy is not contemporary because it never existed. Myth ie dragons and wizards are not fantasy but also not historical and one should not be confused by those who use myths to create fantasy.

mystic64

nolonger active
Well, I don't know what your particular motives are in your attempt to access The Absolute; I can only tell you how I see it, which is that the ultimate goal is the greatest happiness, or Absolute Joy, that one can attain to. Most of us live and function on this Third Level of Consciousness, otherwise known as Identification, in which we experience the dualities of relative joy and relative suffering. These are conditional and temporal states. So once a certain point in our awareness develops, joy and sorrow become a study to us, and what then interests us is an absolute state of pure joy that has no opposite, one transcendent of all dualities; of all 'coming and going'.

In general, there exist several ways to achieve a quietude of the mind, what the yogi Patanjali called 'the cessation of all of the activities of the mind'. This is yoga, or divine union with The Absolute. The problem is that all efforts of the self to achieve this only make matters more complicated. The process is likened to simply allowing the churned up mud in the pond to settle on its own so that one can then see clear to the bottom. So the keyword here is non-attachment to any thought as 'my' thought, which plunges us right back into the state of Identification. What we are trying to do is to attain clear vision.

"Can you keep the unquiet physical-soul from straying,
Hold fast to the Unity, and never quit it?
Can you, when concentrating your breath,
Make it soft like that of a little child?
Can you wipe and cleanse your vision of the Mystery till all is without blur?"

Tao te Ching, Chapter 10

http://terebess.hu/english/tao/waley.html#Kap10

The discursive mind is always trying to grasp at something; to add to its body of knowledge, thinking that it will attain a knowing of some truth. The awakened mind is letting go, rather than grasping, at what it seeks to know. This is about seeing, rather than conceptualizing, about the true nature of Reality.

Actually Patanjal said that yoga starts with "cestation of thought" (nirodha), I think :) ? I have been a mystic since I was five years old (I am sixty six now) and I have been a yogi for a little over forty years now with thousands of hours of meditation experience. I was born extremely empathic and somewhat telepathic. And, I have had a one on one relationship with Lord Shiva since 2/22/2002 (I was the father of Yogananda's Kriya Yoga tradition in my last life, so Lord Shiva and I do have past history which I didn't know about in my younger days in this life). I guess that my motive as a young yogi in this life was to achieve a divine union with the Absolute. And I am not really into self realization because I do not want to be God. I understand what it is that you are saying on both an experience and a knowledge level and your understanding of things is very advanced. Well godnotgod, I just want to thank you for your patience with an old fellow :) . namaste

Jiddanand

Actually Patanjal said that yoga starts with "cestation of thought" (nirodha), I think :) ? I have been a mystic since I was five years old (I am sixty six now) and I have been a yogi for a little over forty years now with thousands of hours of meditation experience. I was born extremely empathic and somewhat telepathic. And, I have had a one on one relationship with Lord Shiva since 2/22/2002 (I was the father of Yogananda's Kriya Yoga tradition in my last life, so Lord Shiva and I do have past history which I didn't know about in my younger days in this life). I guess that my motive as a young yogi in this life was to achieve a divine union with the Absolute. And I am not really into self realization because I do not want to be God. I understand what it is that you are saying on both an experience and a knowledge level and your understanding of things is very advanced. Well godnotgod, I just want to thank you for your patience with an old fellow :) . namaste
I do trust you in the matter what you said.

mystic64

nolonger active
I do trust you in the matter what you said.

I have reported you to management sir. You are overtly rude and disruptive (in my opinion :) ) and you seem to have no intention to contribute anything to the flavor and validity of this message board's social environment.

So Jiddanad sir, why are you angry at your parents?

"controlled controversy sells news papers :) " The viewers love it!

godnotgod

Thou art That

Well, thank you!:D

There must be more than one translation of the Yoga Sutras by Patanjali, including what you have posted. Here is one from a cursory Google search:

"The first [chapter, or padra, of the Yoga Sutras], samādhi pāda, defines Yoga as the complete cessation of all active states of mind, and outlines various stages of insight that stem from this. The chapter points to the ultimate goal of Yoga, which is content-less awareness, beyond even the most supreme stages of insight."

http://www.iep.utm.edu/yoga/

'Cessation of mind' is, in reality, 'cessation of thought'.

Isn't "divine union with The Absolute" to know that you are none other than the divine nature itself?...ie; "Tat tvam asi"

Last edited:

Jiddanand

I have reported you to management sir. You are overtly rude and disruptive (in my opinion :) ) and you seem to have no intention to contribute anything to the flavor and validity of this message board's social environment.

So Jiddanad sir, why are you angry at your parents?

"controlled controversy sells news papers :) " The viewers love it!
That's good.

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That
The problem with deciding that everything is an illusion is that the Absolute becomes an illusion also and from there "you" become a dream creating a dream. Or "you" are a dream that has been created by a dream.

No, The Absolute is the only true Reality. That is why it can be called 'The Absolute', as there is no relative 'other' to which it can be compared. The Absolute is playing itself as the world, so in essence, the world, though illusory, is none other than The Absolute itself. There is no duality. Like an actor playing the part so well, he completely becomes immersed in the character, forgetting for a moment what his true identity actually is. The character, though fictional, is in reality the player behind the mask. Gold, as metaphor for The Absolute, can be fashioned into gold chain. The formless becomes form, but all the while is pure gold underneath. And so it is said that the world is none other than The Absolute (Brahman, The Unified Field, Ground of Being,etc.). As the great mystic Vivekenanda has said:

"The Universe is The Absolute, as seen through the glass of Time, Space, and Causation"

Last edited:

mystic64

nolonger active

There must be more than one translation of the Yoga Sutras by Patanjali, including what you have posted. Here is one from a cursory Google search:

"The first [chapter, or padra, of the Yoga Sutras], samādhi pāda, defines Yoga as the complete cessation of all active states of mind, and outlines various stages of insight that stem from this. The chapter points to the ultimate goal of Yoga, which is content-less awareness, beyond even the most supreme stages of insight."

Isn't "divine union with The Absolute" to know that you are none other than the divine nature itself?...ie; "Tat tvam asi"

The translation that you have quoted is also correct, at least based on my experience with this stuff. And I like your translation better than the one that I had back in the day :) ! " isn't divine union with The Absolute to know that you are none other that the divine nature itself?" I guess that my way of answering that question would be, "As an empath, when you know that you are what it is that you have connect to, you then know that you have achieved a deep connection." From there you deeply experience the experience of what it is that you have connected to. And based on my experience as an experienced empath, union with The Absolute (the profuondly powerful force with a conscious mind) is no different. The Absolute is real and it is an entity. It is just really old and really big and It does not think like we do. And if one carries any fear or residual fear into this empathic experience with The Absolute, one experiences terrifying fear. Which is why one needs to achieve the cessation of thought state of mind before they attempt a union, because in a "content-less awareness" mind state, there is not any fear. Except of course a person that is loving, compassionate, and has deep faith. Those folks can step into an empathic union with The Absolute and The Absolute becomes the most beautiful and loving thing that one can experience. And they know that they are divine nature itself and they become divine nature itself.

And yes, "content-less awareness", And with this content-less awareness mind state the most supreme stages of insight happen as an automated reality. In simple words, you become what you channel, just don't mess with things or it does't work (because what you channel, at least relative to The Absolute, will become you :) ). From there you become trapped in your dream.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe the mind can't be shut off or one goes brain dead but one may cease thinking and be in a subconscious state. We do that when we sleep. This allows a person's spirit to speak to the mind but the person's spirit likes to fantasize and that is called dreaming. If one sets one's mind upon God going into this state one may hear from God.

godnotgod

Thou art That
I believe the mind can't be shut off or one goes brain dead but one may cease thinking and be in a subconscious state. We do that when we sleep. This allows a person's spirit to speak to the mind but the person's spirit likes to fantasize and that is called dreaming. If one sets one's mind upon God going into this state one may hear from God.

Please understand that I am making the distinction between mind and consciousness. Consciousness is before mind; it is always present. Mind is a self-created principle, and as such, is an illusion. It comes and goes. Once the illusory quality of mind is seen and understood, there is only seeing, without thought. That is the beginning of awakened consciousness. Mind operates within the sphere of conditioned consciousness; ie; our beliefs, opinions, ideas, etc, about Reality, whereas awakened consciousness is Reality itself. It sees things as they actually are, rather than how mind conceptualizes them to be.

Consciousness is not a function of brain; brain is a function of consciousness.

Where is 'God'?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Please understand that I am making the distinction between mind and consciousness. Consciousness is before mind; it is always present. Mind is a self-created principle, and as such, is an illusion. It comes and goes. Once the illusory quality of mind is seen and understood, there is only seeing, without thought. That is the beginning of awakened consciousness. Mind operates within the sphere of conditioned consciousness; ie; our beliefs, opinions, ideas, etc, about Reality, whereas awakened consciousness is Reality itself. It sees things as they actually are, rather than how mind conceptualizes them to be.

Consciousness is not a function of brain; brain is a function of consciousness.

Where is 'God'?

I believe in that case you are not talking about consciousness in itself but the spirit which has consciousness. Although the spirit precedes the mind when it is joined with the body it encounters the consciousness of the mind of the body.

I do not believe the self creates anything if one is talking about the physical self. The spiritual self is capable of creating but with a lack of memory of it, most people do not know this or they might never have learned it.

I believe the conscious spirit is always awake but the mind is not always aware of it.

I believe that is a nice hope but in reality it can be just as self deceived and confused about things as the mind itself. When one considers that the spirit also likes to fantasize then one can't rely on the spirit for reality.