• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith in Christ is Completely Logical

Serenity7855

Lambaster of the Angry Anti-Theists
If I could go back in time and meet my Christian self, I'd be likely saying the same things while at the same time vehemently denying I would ever do any such despicable act such as leaving the Lord.

Oops!!!!

:0)

To those that much is give, much is expected. You are in a far worse situation then any atheist as you have been given that knowledge and have rejected it. You are a potential son of perdition, as all failed Christians are.

Sonofason

It seems all to apparent to me, by the content of your post, that you are not familiar with what the Holy Ghost is. The Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead. He is a Personage of Spirit, a Spirit Person, a Spirit Man, a Spirit Entity. He can be in only one place at one time and he does not and cannot transform himself into any other form or image than that of the Man whom he is, though his power and influence can be manifest at one and the same time through all immensity. He is the Comforter, Testator, Revelator, Sanctifier, Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit of Promise, Spirit of Truth, Spirit of the Lord, and Messenger of the Father and the Son, and his companionship is the greatest gift that mortal man can enjoy. His mission is to perform all of the functions appertaining to the various name-titles which he bears.

Most importantly here, he is an influence. That means that if you heard him as a voice then the voice was all yours. He communicates using concepts, feelings and emotions, which is why his communications are so super fast. His influence fills the immensity of space. As worthy children we can tap into that influence and receive knowledge, even hidden knowledge. His influence can answer any and every question we have to ask, however, the answer, for me, has never come by the spoken word, whether in my head or through my ears. There simply is no comparison between voices in your head and the influence of the Holy ghost. One can never be confused with the other. They are both separate and distinct. It certainly can never be mistaken as the normal function of the brain as the source is always external and enters you mind like a wave of energy.

No, you were never a Christian. If you were converted by the Holy Ghost, testifying to your soul, then you would still be a Christian today. There is no going back. It is a virtual impossibility to deny the influence of the Holy Ghost once experienced. Secondly, I know that voices in my head is not the Holy Ghost. I would worry that I was a schizophrenic if I started hearing voices. The Holy Ghost is an influence in a conceptual form.

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things

Notice that he will manifest the truth not speak it.
I believe you have a very good understanding of what the Holy Spirit is. At first I felt compelled to disagree with you when you said that the Holy Spirit could only be in one place at the same time, but I perceive that you have even explained that very well, at least to my satisfaction. Even if the Holy Spirit can only be in one place at any given time, His influence can be felt in all places at all times, assuming we are capable of tapping in to that, as you say.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I know nothing about their lives, however, if they say they "were a christian" then they are either lying or they have failed, never reaching conversion. I do not need to no anymore then that as I am not judging any other aspect of their lives, any one who suggests otherwise is speaking from ignorance and making themselves look foolish.
Judge not, lest ye be judged by the same measure.

God didn't appoint you arbiter of anyone else's soul. And you are falling FAR short of Christ's moral standards.

Which is why so many good Christians abandon a faith that encourages your sin.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I know nothing about their lives, however, if they say they "were a christian" then they are either lying or they have failed, never reaching conversion. I do not need to no anymore then that as I am not judging any other aspect of their lives, any one who suggests otherwise is speaking from ignorance and making themselves look foolish.
You don't know what half those words mean, do you?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Here I go:

quote_tiny-6d46bdcd6d8295c1e591aa3bba620317.jpg

Paul Tillich>Quotes> Quotable Quote

“In this respect fundamentalism has demonic traits. It destroys the humble honesty of the search for truth, it splits the conscience of its thoughtful adherents, and it makes them fanatical because they are forced to suppress elements of truth of which they are dimly aware”
Well I can't write this completely off. However there is nothing inherently demonic about being fundamental unless what your fundamental about is false. Believing fundamental facts is as right as rain. The fact Mr. Tillich tries to indict an entire category and can't be bothered to distinguish between fundamentally wrong (what can be demonic but even this is not inherently demonic) and what is fundamentally correct, is disturbing. Fundamentalism in general does not cause these attributes and results. A better but still not perfect word would have been fanatical instead of fundamental. Regardless I am not fundamental beyond having faith in fundamental conclusions which have withstood 200 years of scrutiny.

Paul Tillich
tags:fundamentalism
Read more quotes fromPaul Tillich
Quote by Paul Tillich: “In this respect fundamentalism has demonic trai...”

Introduction to Paul Tillich’s Systematic Theology
This begins Paul Tillich's Systematic Theology, Introduction, p. 3.
Introduction to Paul Tillich’s Systematic Theology | living through death

There are so many books that I'd recommend for you to start with without struggling to understand his Systematic Theology. I believe that I can find these books on the internet for you.
http://www.napts.org/assets/newsletters/NB381.pdf

The History of Christian Thought

Tillich: Urgrund and Urbild

https://www.google.com/search?q=Paul tillich's books&oq=Paul tillich's books&aqs=chrome..69i57.5769j0j8&client=ubuntu&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Look for his books online. Here read about the book, The New Being ( Paul Tillich, The New Being ).

Way to much to throw at you at one time. The best critical analysis I've read comes from Donald J. Keefe, S.J., Thomism and the Ontological Theology of Paul Tillich, A Comparison of Systems. " Thomism and the Ontological Theology of Paul Tillich: A Comparison of Systems - Donald J. Keefe - Google Books
I appreciate the effort but it is still too much to soon. I need good reasons to invest this much time. More quotes would be better. I intended to agree with anything I possibly could just to make your prediction false but that quote above is so alarmingly inaccurate when devoid of clarification that I could not do so in good conscience.

"Any useful critique of Tillich's theological affirmations must be developed from within his circle of theological reasoning. The failure to understand this starting point must involve a failure to appreciate what he intends to do, and a consequent rejection of what he does do." Ibid., p.144.
I have no idea what to do with this. It needs context.

"Such judgments as these raise the fundamental question of the criteria whereby a theological system may be distinguished from one which is not theological. Tillich, as no other theologian, has stated these criteria and integrated them with his system to the point that much of the adverse criticism brought against it stems from a rejection, at least implicit, of those criteria. But if it is not shown that the criteria which Tillich employs are inadequate in themselves, their rejection becomes arbitrary, a matter of taste." Ibid., p. 146.
I have no interest in some treatise on how to define and quantify what is called theology. I care about research as to what is true and reasonable. I am not much into semantic debates as they are usually irrelevant. I care about whether Christ died for me not what category the information is found in. BTW it is officially historical biography.

Top Ten Theological Works of the 20th Century?
I can't haul off and read a list of books without cause. I would like some more quotes please.

Serenity7855

Judge not, lest ye be judged by the same measure.

God didn't appoint you arbiter of anyone else's soul. And you are falling FAR short of Christ's moral standards.

Which is why so many good Christians abandon a faith that encourages your sin.

I said that I am not judging any other aspect of their lives. There is no judgement involved when somebody tells you that they were a christian for 10 years and then fell away and became atheist. That is fact requiring no judgement. It is also fact that if you turn your back on Christ, then you never knew him in the first place, as if you had then you could never shut the door in his face, also fact.

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Last edited:

Serenity7855

I believe you have a very good understanding of what the Holy Spirit is. At first I felt compelled to disagree with you when you said that the Holy Spirit could only be in one place at the same time, but I perceive that you have even explained that very well, at least to my satisfaction. Even if the Holy Spirit can only be in one place at any given time, His influence can be felt in all places at all times, assuming we are capable of tapping in to that, as you say.

Thank you very much for your encouraging words. It is always uplifting to here the kind words of a fellow Christian, borne in honesty.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I said that I am not judging any other aspect of their lives. There is no judgement involved when somebody tells you that they were a christian for 10 years and then fell away and became atheist. That is fact requiring no judgement. It is also fact that if you turn your back on Christ, then you never knew him in the first place, as if you had then you could never shut the door in his face, also fact.

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.
Where does it say "judge not, except for this one thing that's totally your job"?

Besides, it doesn't matter that you insist you're not judging anything else, honest people know perfectly well what it means when you sneer that they just didn't want to hold themselves to your high moral standard (that you actually violate with just about every post).

I am not remotely Christian. You are the one who claims to be. So instead of trying to denigrate people who don't pretend to believe that "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" is the word of God, why don't you try to understand that the instruction was for you?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
If you think that those words are difficult to decrypt and interpret then I can fully understand why you write such utter nonsense and duplicitous guile.
They're not difficult at all. Your inability to use them correctly is no failure of mine.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No, I'm pretty sure it's just your opinion.

I take you wouldn't ever want to try it and see if any God will come out of the woodwork. Don't blame you. Keep calling it an opinion. Im sure it's better that way for you to keep going with that.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
How can you be two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
To those that much is give, much is expected. You are in a far worse situation then any atheist as you have been given that knowledge and have rejected it. You are a potential son of perdition, as all failed Christians are.

Oh I presume you mean Hell. Do you partake the fire and brimstone version enduring incredible agony and suffering for eternity? or perhaps the more mellow and humane version of the grave?

At any rate, what's this far worse situation than any atheist?

A lot of good upstanding Christians seem vauge on all the gory details and the specifics concerning these matters of divine retribution.

Factually, God simply dosent talk about it leaving people to do all the talking, but im sure you know since God speaks to you as you ever so clearly put forth, so you have an obvious edge there. So what's the far worse situation for all of us apostates?

Just curious. That's all. I'll understand perfectly if you can't answer my questions.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I never accused anybody of being immoral for not following my choice of Holy book. That is very dishonest to misrepresent me. That is the kind of immorality that might cause a potential Christian to fail so miserably.

No one on here has accused me of being a bad example as a Christian, unless you can provide evidence, and if you cannot then you are lying, bearing false witness, another immorality that gives reason for a tragic fall from Christianity.

LOL! Do you not read what you write?

"I get a kick out of these failed Christians who couldn't live the high moral standards that Christianity demands so turn their back on Jesus Christ, kicking him in the shins and stamping on his toes as they leave, slamming the door in his face. They never look to themselves for the reasons why they fail so miserably but blame the Bible for not producing the goods that they seek. "But I studied the Bible but was told to be morally clean", they shout. It must be completely false, God is evil, without even considering the Mosaic law that they were under. Their was no similar acts under the Abrahamic Covenant, but what the heck, it's a good excuse to leave."

You obviously gave MORALITY as the reason we leave Christianity!

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
He didn't say "if you leave" you were never one. He said If you deny the reality of the Christ you were never one. You can leave but a person can't honestly say it never happened.

That is ridiculous! People whom study the Bible and find it false - then leave - are also denying the reality of Christ!

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
How is it possible to be a faithful Xian and then just 'lose' your faith. That seems highly unlikely. More likely is someone who never really had faith, and circumstances did not meet the requirements for them to pretend to be Xian anymore.

Again - THIS THINKING IS pure bull!

We are not talking "faith." We are talking - is the God of the Bible really God? Or is the whole thing just made up by men.

We were raised in the Christian Church and believed it. Then we got older, started to actually study what the Bible actually says, and what it says YHVH did, and the patriarchal laws, and it becomes very obvious that the Bible is made up by, and written by, - MEN, - for their own evil purposes. The God of the Bible is evil and skitzo. It is logical when one finds this, - to leave.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Well yes, exactly my point. Thank you

The good thing about this new software is that when you put someone on your ignore list, because they are odiously obnoxious and down right rude, you never know when they post anything. There is nothing displayed to say they have posted to you and there words are removed from replies they make to other posters. It is the most effective ignore list I have ever seen to prevent the bitter and twisted words of immoral atheists. By pure chance I see that the infamous Aussie, Bunyip, has posted an outright blatant falsehood about me, which is not to surprising considering his contemptuous and contumelious history on here. He has never said that I am a poor example of a Christian and is only saying he has now to dishonestly back a fellow antagonistic atheist. He has directed many, many churlish, spiteful, vile and malicious rhetoric at my person, as he does to most Christians who trash and belie his vacous views, but he has not said that I am a poor example of a Christian on this thread. If he has then it will be like water off a ducks back. I couldn't care less about his venomous opinions. Anything he says about me can be put down to his need to ridicule and taunt Christian out of frustration for not being able to prove the Christian ethos wrong in any way.

LOL! Dude! I am not an Atheist!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLO!!!!!

Have you noticed that you have been here since 2011 and only have 84 likes, and 48 points?

Bunyip has been here for only 7 months and has 316 likes, and 83 points!

This speaks volumes about whom is considered to be more accurate and forward in their posts! The people reading have voted their choice.

The people you folks usually put on ignore, - are the ones with whom you can't win a debate. This speaks volumes.