• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

faith is a useful tool

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Disbelief in God is based on arrogance and the inability to see past your nose, philosophically speaking. It's the one thing that has caused the moral decay of our society.

Prove me wrong Bias Boy.

Arrogance and shortsited-ness? Hardly. There is nothing wrong with people who don't believe in God they just need to "try before they buy." The only thing that kept our society so tight knit was the fear of death ans rediculous superstition. The fabric of society is not determined by belief in God.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
There is no "Science of the Gaps" position,
Sure there is... you feel that science will eventually be able to explain EVERYTHING that Religion can't. It's what makes you believe in the God of the Gaps. Both are incredibly flawed concepts.

If Science has nothing to do with religion, then how can there be a God to fill those gaps that we don't have? The whole God of the gaps travesty is used only to show theists how weak their position really is. The flip side is that disbelief in God has the same flaws. What? You can't see that? There's ego-centrism for you!

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Sure there is... you feel that science will eventually be able to explain EVERYTHING that Religion can't. It's what makes you believe in the God of the Gaps. Both are incredibly flawed concepts.

You possess quite a few flawed concepts. :p For example, I do not believe that science can explain EVERYTHING. No scientific theory does that. I do, however, believe that religion fails to explain the things it claims to explain. For example, it does not explain why there is something (the universe, God, whatever) rather than nothing.

If Science has nothing to do with religion, then how can there be a God to fill those gaps that we don't have? The whole God of the gaps travesty is used only to show theists how weak their position really is. The flip side is that disbelief in God has the same flaws. What? You can't see that? There's ego-centrism for you!

The God of the Gaps phenomenon is well-attested in history. God was supposed to explain all sorts of observed natural events as divine interventions of one sort or another. Science has supplied better explanations of weather events, earthquakes, eclipses, the movement of the planets, fire, rainbows, etc., over the centuries. So God as explanation has gradually been reduced by the advance of scientific knowledge. He has become (as legend attributes to Laplace) an "unnecessary hypothesis". The most significant blow to religious explanation came in the 19th century, when Darwin revealed a better explanation of the origin of biological species. Now we no longer need God to explain our own appearance on the planet and our similarities with other species. If one is looking for explanation, religion is a hollow shell with a record of past failures in explanation.

Scuba Pete

Arrogance and shortsited-ness? Hardly. There is nothing wrong with people who don't believe in God
Just as there is nothing wrong with people who DO believe in God. My assertion is JUST as valid as yours, not that I believe it to be true.

Scuba Pete

You possess quite a few flawed concepts. :p For example, I do not believe that science can explain EVERYTHING. No scientific theory does that. I do, however, believe that religion fails to explain the things it claims to explain. For example, it does not explain why there is something (the universe, God, whatever) rather than nothing.
Who said religion is supposed to explain that? Perhaps you have missed the point of religion... but then Atheism is every bit of a religion as catholicism.
The God of the Gaps phenomenon is well-attested in history.
So is Science of the Gaps. It's all about perspective and you seem to lack this.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
For example, it does not explain why there is something (the universe, God, whatever) rather than nothing.

Who said religion is supposed to explain that? Perhaps you have missed the point of religion...

A great many religionists that I've communicated with. Of course, it is always a possibility that you are more in touch with divine reality than they, but you strike me as someone who is rather at sea on the subject. ;)

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Just as there is nothing wrong with people who DO believe in God. My assertion is JUST as valid as yours, not that I believe it to be true.

Of course not but the assertion that believeing in God and having a strong "Godly" community creates a stronger and more moral society is questionable. Just because society is falling apart doesn't mean there aren't as many God believers.

Scuba Pete

A great many religionists that I've communicated with. Of course, it is always a possibility that you are more in touch with divine reality than they, but you strike me as someone who is rather at sea on the subject. ;)
Apparently, you have done as much research on me as you have done on religion. You speak with an apparent authority about that which you know little about.

Scuba Pete

Belief in God is based on nothing but superstition and is a hinderance to the human race.
Disbelief in God is based on arrogance and the inability to see past your nose, philosophically speaking. It's the one thing that has caused the moral decay of our society.
Of course not but the assertion that believeing in God and having a strong "Godly" community creates a stronger and more moral society is questionable. Just because society is falling apart doesn't mean there aren't as many God believers.
You completely missed the similarity in the two statements and thus the irony of your statement. BOTH statements are completely flawed and based on bigotry/bias. While you FULLY believe your own bias, I made that statement with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Your stance is no better than those "superstitious" people you so lament for being a hindrance to the human race. Next you'll proffer the idea that all or most wars are caused by religion.

There is not much difference between you and Copernicus. In your haste to "prove" your belief as somehow being the only true one, you have fallen into the same trap that you accuse the lowly theists of committing. There is no difference in your disbelief when compared to their belief. You have nothing but feelings to go on that you have some how bolstered with erroneously applied science and/or logic. You can conjure in your mind just how "superior" your disbelief is over their belief, and I just snicker at your inability to see reality. You are no better, and certainly no less than the theist.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
You completely missed the similarity in the two statements and thus the irony of your statement. BOTH statements are completely flawed and based on bigotry/bias. While you FULLY believe your own bias, I made that statement with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Your stance is no better than those "superstitious" people you so lament for being a hindrance to the human race. Next you'll proffer the idea that all or most wars are caused by religion.

There is not much difference between you and Copernicus. In your haste to "prove" your belief as somehow being the only true one, you have fallen into the same trap that you accuse the lowly theists of committing. There is no difference in your disbelief when compared to their belief. You have nothing but feelings to go on that you have some how bolstered with erroneously applied science and/or logic. You can conjure in your mind just how "superior" your disbelief is over their belief, and I just snicker at your inability to see reality. You are no better, and certainly no less than the theist.

Im not a bigot because i think religion is slowing our advancement. On the other hand you think religion is good for us otherwise you would not be a christian. Does that make you a bigot?
You make a lot of assumptions in your post. Its like saying all Christians think they're better because they have "faith," simply not true. Im not trying to prove anything, my entrance to this thread was merely to state my opinion that faith is often used to destroy a debate because someone with faith will use it to backup their beliefs. In several debates with Emiliano he's basically ignored my whole post and said "i have faith in God," end of story.

emiliano

Im not trying to prove anything, my entrance to this thread was merely to state my opinion that faith is often used to destroy a debate because someone with faith will use it to backup their beliefs. In several debates with Emiliano he's basically ignored my whole post and said "i have faith in God," end of story.

And that’s the subject of the thread, the only possible unswear is: Faith is the ultimate tool to enquire into spiritual matters, you don’t have it, so you are out of the loop, you cannot understand spiritual matters, what can I do? Faith works wonderfully for us there is no questions on spirituality that we cannot answer. How good is that? :)

Scuba Pete

Im not a bigot because i think religion is slowing our advancement.
You only show your ignorance with such statements.
Im not trying to prove anything,
GREAT job!!! You succeeded in not proving anything with alacrity!
my entrance to this thread was merely to state my opinion that faith is often used to destroy a debate
and I wished to show you just how biased your statements are!
In several debates with Emiliano he's basically ignored my whole post and said "i have faith in God," end of story.
And you say you don't. Go figure! You both utilize FAITH to arrive at your belief or disbelief.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
You only show your ignorance with such statements. GREAT job!!! You succeeded in not proving anything with alacrity! and I wished to show you just how biased your statements are! And you say you don't. Go figure! You both utilize FAITH to arrive at your belief or disbelief.

What do you expect, we're all biased, thank you for targeting me :) Im an atheist, you're a christian, of course you're going to think im biased for ignoring your evidence and logic.

Scuba Pete

What do you expect, we're all biased, thank you for targeting me :) Im an atheist, you're a christian, of course you're going to think im biased for ignoring your evidence and logic.
That's a gross oversimplification of what I have said. I do not expect you to follow my reasoning or logic. However, I don't speak ill of you for being an atheist. That being said, I don't mind pointing out your hypocrisies in how you view theists. You are just as guilty of the errors you would attribute to them. It's ironic, doncha think?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
That's a gross oversimplification of what I have said. I do not expect you to follow my reasoning or logic. However, I don't speak ill of you for being an atheist. That being said, I don't mind pointing out your hypocrisies in how you view theists. You are just as guilty of the errors you would attribute to them. It's ironic, doncha think?

Please enlighten me on my hypocrisy, id love to hear it. So hypocritical that i think Religion hinders the world.
Lets get one thing clear for the religion Nazi's on this board. When i refer to religion i refer to Christianity.

If you have a problem with my opinion on this matter say it, don't sugar coat it.

Scuba Pete

Please enlighten me on my hypocrisy, id love to hear it. So hypocritical that i think Religion hinders the world.
Lets get one thing clear for the religion Nazi's on this board. When i refer to religion i refer to Christianity.

If you have a problem with my opinion on this matter say it, don't sugar coat it.
You would fit my definition of a religious nazi. No sugar coating for you! Your intolerance of other ideologies is simply as amazing as it is horrific. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
You would fit my definition of a religious nazi. No sugar coating for you! Your intolerance of other ideologies is simply as amazing as it is horrific. I hope this helps.

Your intolerance of everything that doesnt suit you is just as amazing. Everything i have argued in this thread was proven by Emiliano in his last post.

emiliano

Your intolerance of everything that doesnt suit you is just as amazing. Everything i have argued in this thread was proven by Emiliano in his last post.

Finally you got it Darken, it is amazing how atheist consume so much energy in blaming and attacking a God that does not exist, this is so illogical, logic tells us that if something preoccupy the mind as much as this concept of God does, God must exist and that God is the one thing that rational beings such a humans cannot think “not to exist”