• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida: We'll take your trans kids in other states

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I live 2.5 hours to the northeast of Des Moines.

How long were you here for you to declare it 'awesome', and what made you feel that way?
I worked for TMC there.

DesMoines was the parent terminal and they owned hotels where drivers can stay for free whenever in the state.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I worked for TMC there.

DesMoines was the parent terminal and they owned hotels where drivers can stay for free whenever in the state.
Cool! What was it you liked about Iowa in general?

My dad was a trucker(retired now) and got to stay at a lot of different hotels. He was at Martin Brothers.

Twilight Hue

Cool! What was it you liked about Iowa in general?

My dad was a trucker(retired now) and got to stay at a lot of different hotels. He was at Martin Brothers.
I liked the throwback. Motorcycle riding without helmets a big indicator.

The state loves protecting their turtles. Heh.

2nd amendment rights are being observed.

Endless fields of corn and other produce.

Very little nanny state presence aside from smoking bans and seatbelt laws. Not a good sign for the future though.

It's not perfect but it's definitely a freer more easy breathing state to be in.

It reminds me how things were in the 70s before the Democrats in NY tried to boss and tell people what they can and cannot do on just about everything in sight taking away a good chunk of quality of life as it pertains to personal freedom of choice and autonomy.

Very nostalgic feeling in the state.

Hang on to your Republican governor.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I liked the throwback. Motorcycle riding without helmets a big indicator.

The state loves protecting their turtles. Heh.

2nd amendment rights are being observed.

Endless fields of corn and other produce.

Very little nanny state presence aside from smoking bans and seatbelt laws. Not a good sign for the future though.

It's not perfect but it's definitely a freer more easy breathing state to be in.

It reminds me how things were in the 70s before the Democrats in NY tried to boss and tell people what they can and cannot do on just about everything in sight taking away a good chunk of quality of life as it pertains to personal freedom of choice and autonomy.

Very nostalgic feeling in the state.

Hang on to your Republican governor.
Interesting. My husband grew up around bikers in the South... he thought it was absolute madness that people didn't wear them here. It wasn't required where he came from, it was just assumed common sense. I've never ridden bikes, so I guess I never thought about it.

As a victim of gun violence, I'm not thrilled with the 2nd amendment. But I understand not all feel the same as I do.

I used to feel good about the corn... until I realized most of it wasn't fit for human consumption. It all goes for ethanol and cattlefeed(not exactly thrilling for a vegetarian). I've had some struggle making peace with that. I try, I really do... but I just see devastation everywhere. I read a couple days ago that Iowa is one of two states who's cancer rates have risen in the last 50 years(Kentucky is the other). Most of us living here can tell you its likely from those fields... The spray from the planes, the chemicals in the ground, the crap(sometimes literally) in the water...

I'll be honest, I don't think I'd like New York, either, from what you've said. I'm missing the nostalgia, but I wasn't around in the 70s. But I absolutely despise our governor. I use 'hate' for very few, but she's one of them. And its not because I'm far left(I'm an independent voter), I just find her disgusting. She signed something into law recently that gives public school funding to send kids to private schools... that one was upsetting. My oldest went to a grossly underfunded/understaffed school that was pretty bad; he couldn't use the restroom without a teacher 'standing guard' or he'd get beat up. The Republicans got a high five from me when they approved to let people open enroll out of their districts, potentially ending situations like this, but then they went too far over the edge with this new move. Great, let kids move where it suits them, but don't take from our already struggling school systems.

My younger two are homeschooled, so I don't have to deal with it personally anymore, but it disgusts me for those who don't have that option.

I guess I'd like to see some balance back in the state government. And as far as the nanny thing goes... it depends on where you are, who you are. I once got pulled over for a no seat belt ticket... while I was wearing my seat belt.. We also got pulled over for our license plate being bent. Cool. Got it. But they pulled us over right across the street from our destination. Not realizing what was going on, thinking we were simply going into the library, my middle son took his belt off. So, when they looked in, they decided they were giving us a ticket for that.

But, not to be totally negative, I will say I like the prairie grass here, and I'm happy to see farmers are giving pieces of their land back to help what was natural grow again. I believe the motivation to strengthen pollinators was the reason... but really, its beautiful. I also appreciate that the homeschooling laws are not oppressively restrictive, and that I can access a homeschooling aide, free of charge.

(I'd have given you an informative frubal, but its not there, and these new ones still feel yucky.)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
No, it is factually not and whether its Rebel Rebel, a governor of New York before it was New York, or one of the oldest burial sites we've found there's nothing new about it. The American Indian tribes even commonly had a concept for it and accepted it.
When I mean "fairly new", what i mean is the proliferation thereof. As an analogy, exodus of people from California is new (not that it has never happened, but the rate is new)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think this is logical and, actually, it is what Florida wants. They aren't saying "you can't", they are simply saying that adult decisions that have life-long effects should be made by children when they are adults and not before.

Trans is a really new event and in such a short period of time we already have lawsuits against those who effected surgical transitions and more and more trans who are now attempting to de-transition because they were too young to know what they were doing.
So, the government is to make the decisions for them?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
When I mean "fairly new", what i mean is the proliferation thereof. As an analogy, exodus of people from California is new (not that it has never happened, but the rate is new)
No, it only appears new to people who think they know what they're talking about but actually and obviously have no idea. The only thing new is people are less afraid to come out of the closets we were forced into by people who recently started having problems with it. Seriously, I can't even call this a Christian thing because some records indicate Medieval Christians cared less about this their contemporary Counterparts.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I think it would depend on the situation more than anything else.

I'm sure exceptions to the rule exists.
How about leaving it up to medical professionals and the actual people involved? You know, like a medical decision.
I don't need ignorant politicians bent on culture wars nonsense telling anybody what they should be doing with their bodies.
I find it utterly bizarre that you support this when you're always railing against the "Nanny State." What's more Nanny State that politicians dictating medical and psychological decisions for other people???

Twilight Hue

How about leaving it up to medical professionals and the actual people involved? You know, like a medical decision.
I don't need ignorant politicians bent on culture wars nonsense telling anybody what they should be doing with their bodies.
I find it utterly bizarre that you support this when you're always railing against the "Nanny State." What's more Nanny State that politicians dictating medical and psychological decisions for other people???
I agree a doctor and parents should have the complete freedom to make the decision, and leave the state out of it. I can see a compromise there.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Come on, folks, let's not pretend that we're the experts -- and let's not let politicians, whose greatest skills are getting people to believe them and give them money -- are the experts, either.

This reminds me of the Dilbert Principle, "Everyone is an idiot". The idea is that life has become so complicated that even the cleverest of us can only be an expert in one or two subjects, and is an idiot in all the others.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
That is why we should be cannibals because it extends all the way down to the animal kingdom. And, like the black widow, women should kill there husbands after they are impregnated... is that what you are saying?

1678126495447.png

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's kids here. Minors. Right?

They can wait until they are a proper age for these kind of decisions unless you advocate child abuse.

The Republicans don't care about children. This is all political theater and demagoguery. They object to government support for them and put them in cages separated from their parents. They care about power and control for themselves. When a Republican says he cares about the rising budget, he's lying. When he says wants fairer elections, he's lying. When he says he believes government is too large, he's lying. When he calls the Democrats Communists, he's lying. When he says that he believes the election was stolen, he's lying. Of course, this doesn't necessarily pertain the unwashed masses that vote for them, who pretty much believe whatever the last thing they heard from conservative indoctrination media was.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I agree a doctor and parents should have the complete freedom to make the decision, and leave the state out of it. I can see a compromise there.
Where's there a compromise between medical decisions being made by the state (what many Republicans want) and having those decisons being made by a patient and the patient's care providers? Any evidenced based medical practice, the only proper and ethical approach is for these decisions to be made by the patient while under the supervision of the patient's healthcare providers. It's not for politicians to make, it's not for laymen to make, it's not even for other professionals in the field as they don't work with that patient.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
No, it only appears new to people who think they know what they're talking about but actually and obviously have no idea. The only thing new is people are less afraid to come out of the closets we were forced into by people who recently started having problems with it. Seriously, I can't even call this a Christian thing because some records indicate Medieval Christians cared less about this their contemporary Counterparts.
I see opinions here. I would disagree with your viewpoint.