• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Parents: If God Told You To...

Me Myself

Back to my username
Ok I asked if your god, not what you believed to be your god...your god. I still say this is a non answer...When saying your god it's implied you know it's your god

From the point of view of the person, this is the same.

If my God asked me to do this... I have many gods :eek:

I would probably just not do it, I don´t believe Shiva would punish me for not killing someone o.0.

In any case, let´s say Shiva (or Ganesha, or Jesus, or Krishna, or Universal Goodness take your pick) asks me to kill my kid.

I tell him "Why?! that´s horrible! I cant do that!" Then what do you say happens next? he just pufffs or what does s/he says?

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
From the point of view of the person, this is the same.

If my God asked me to do this... I have many gods :eek:

I would probably just not do it, I don´t believe Shiva would punish me for not killing someone o.0.

In any case, let´s say Shiva (or Ganesha, or Jesus, or Krishna, or Universal Goodness take your pick) asks me to kill my kid.

I tell him "Why?! that´s horrible! I cant do that!" Then what do you say happens next? he just pufffs or what does s/he says?
Haha it's getting fun...I don't know why people are getting so bent out of shape over a what if problem...it's wild

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
The story presents an ethical dilemma: doing what God commands, which is walking in righteousness with God, or doing what one personally feels is right, which in this case is an individuality that would stand alone against God. It's a dilemma of two rights, so which foot to stand on: which foot is the one that will hold a (good) man up?

I don't see the difference between phrasing the question as whether Abraham had to choose to obey God or disobey God. If Abraham chose to disobey God, then that means he didn't choose to obey God. If Abraham chose to obey God, that means he didn't choose to disobey God. Pick one, and you've also made a decision about the other. I don't understand why you felt that they were distinct questions, and that phrasing it one way was preferable.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think she means "Is not that he would be so good to obey God, but it would be not good for him to disobey it"

It´s the difference between doing what you must do because it is your duty or doing what you do because you have no duty to do it, but you did and that makes you awesome.

Or something like that.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
My apologies. I'll just put on my bunny slippers and twirl around as the dancer muse instead. WHEEEEEE! :p
So, a week from tomorrow my lovely wife and I will be watching the Barber of Seville ...
... in Venice!​
I just love having a real life. And if that's not enough, I can always think warmly of a lovely young dancer with slippers and a whip. Have a great weekend my friend. :hug:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
So, a week from tomorrow my lovely wife and I will be watching the Barber of Seville ...
... in Venice!​
I just love having a real life. And if that's not enough, I can always think warmly of a lovely young dancer with slippers and a whip. Have a great weekend my friend. :hug:

Have fun in Venice - isn't real life a HOOT!

Be sure to post pictures of your trip and I mean it.

I will return the favor and post pictures of our upcoming trip to the UK - but you'll have to wait awhile - it's in October.

Ahhh, Venice sounds fabulous!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
... in Venice!​

:hug:

Love you, Jay. Have fun in Venice!! I'll hold down the fort here while you're gone. ;)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I don't see the difference between phrasing the question as whether Abraham had to choose to obey God or disobey God. If Abraham chose to disobey God, then that means he didn't choose to obey God. If Abraham chose to obey God, that means he didn't choose to disobey God. Pick one, and you've also made a decision about the other. I don't understand why you felt that they were distinct questions, and that phrasing it one way was preferable.
"Obeying God" isn't a choice, it's like obeying nature. Can you choose not to obey nature? On the other hand, you can choose to assert your nature as if you were independent of the world. As if you stood alone.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
"Obeying God" isn't a choice, it's like obeying nature. Can you choose not to obey nature? On the other hand, you can choose to assert your nature as if you were independent of the world. As if you stood alone.

That's clearly not the definition of God being used here.

I would also think it strange to claim that the command "go sacrifice your child" came from the voice of nature/god, and the internal feeling "nah, I'd rather not because that doesn't seem like a good thing to do" as an expression of individualism. How do you know it's not the other way around? How do you know that either of them is nature/god and one is individualism? Heck, how do you know that individualism isn't nature/god?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That's clearly not the definition of God being used here.

I would also think it strange to claim that the command "go sacrifice your child" came from the voice of nature/god, and the internal feeling "nah, I'd rather not because that doesn't seem like a good thing to do" as an expression of individualism. How do you know it's not the other way around? How do you know that either of them is nature/god and one is individualism? Heck, how do you know that individualism isn't nature/god?
Because it makes sense this way.

It is an image of "God" in line with the "Tao," and one that Kierkegaard used to analyse the story of Abraham and Isaac (Kierkegaard, being someone far closer to the "God" mentality than I, carries a bit of weight with me in this regard). In this analysis, the dilemma is (of course) seen as an existential problem. It's not more "right" or "wrong" than any other way of interpreting the story, but it's interesting because it interprets the story in a useful manner. Which command God gave isn't important--what's important is that it be a command that conflicts with Abraham's ethical framework. Only then can the dilemma be revealed.

So while the voice of God gave a command that made no literal ethical sense, it can make sense as a literary device.

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
Because it makes sense this way.

It is an image of "God" in line with the "Tao," and one that Kierkegaard used to analyse the story of Abraham and Isaac (Kierkegaard, being someone far closer to the "God" mentality than I, carries a bit of weight with me in this regard). In this analysis, the dilemma is (of course) seen as an existential problem. It's not more "right" or "wrong" than any other way of interpreting the story, but it's interesting because it interprets the story in a useful manner. Which command God gave isn't important--what's important is that it be a command that conflicts with Abraham's ethical framework. Only then can the dilemma be revealed.

So while the voice of God gave a command that made no literal ethical sense, it can make sense as a literary device.

Fear and Trembling is just as nonsensical as my hypothetical. it gives 4 variations of the same story, none of which happened. Also it is biased because it states that Abraham had faith God would spare Isaac and there is nothing to suggest that was so. Kierkergaard also held the belief that faith was better than ethics...I can't begin to tell you the problems with this train of thought. Better yet ill show what's wrong with this train of thought...Faith, Kierkagaard says, is "a paradox which is capable of transforming a murder into a holy act, well-pleasing to God.". Youre going to honestly say to me that you believe this? If we are going to get philosophical, what kind of god would find this act pleasing? And why worship a god that finds these acts pleasing?

Last edited: