• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Parents: If God Told You To...

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Actually Katheryn the reason I don't vote is because about 30yrs ago I went to vote and the guy (who I knew very well) told me I wasn't on the electoral roll and every time the eloctoral commission sends me a letter demanding that I register I just throw it in the bin and I don't hear from them till the next one I throw in the bin. You only have locks on your house to keep honest people out, authority only scares those who want to be scared.

Well, anyone who tries to break into my house has a whole series of unpleasant surprises awaiting them - authority or otherwise.

But I digress...

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Do you understand that human sacrifice was VERY common back in that time, among all sorts of societies?

Have you seen the miniseries "The Tudors?" Political leaders regularly had people tortured, maimed, castrated, burned, body parts cut off, hung but not killed, drawn and quartered, etc. and big crowds of people watched and cheered and threw a party every time.

It seems strange and bizarre and cruel to us now, but had we lived back in that time, we might well have been part of the cheering crowd -and then gone home to a nice meal of mutton afterwards, looking forward to the next big street party.

Human sacrifice was a very common concept and practice at that time. Frankly, it didn't carry the stigma that it carries now. It simply wasn't a shocking idea.

Okay... so does that mean Abraham really wasn't displaying all that much faith when he agreed to sacrifice Isaac, since that was a normal thing to do at the time? Because that's what those posts were in response to... the idea that this story is a beautiful moral lesson because it demonstrates the sort of faith one should have in God.

Kathryn

What else in the Bible is irrelevant to us today? How does one tell the relevant parts from the irrelevant ones?

Well, Jews don't believe that actual blood sacrifices at the temple are required. Neither do Christians, for that matter.

But Christians believe this because they believe that the Messiah has come already and replaced the need for a blood sacrifice. However, that's one example of biblical commands which are clearly no longer relevant today.

That doesn't mean we discard scripture - all scripture is good for learning and gaining wisdom. But in all my years of studying the bible, when I study it in context and seriously, it's usually simply not that hard to figure out.

Of course, it helps to WANT to figure it out.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Okay... so does that mean Abraham really wasn't displaying all that much faith when he agreed to sacrifice Isaac, since that was a normal thing to do at the time? Because that's what those posts were in response to... the idea that this story is a beautiful moral lesson because it demonstrates the sort of faith one should have in God.
His ethical dilemma was whether to choose to disobey God, not whether to choose to obey God.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
How is that evasion?

With Abraham, it wasn't just a matter of doing it because God said so (obedience). God is the right and righteous universal order. When you invest in God as Abraham did, there is no saying "no" to that; hence he didn't.

I guess the point is that he could have not invested in God as he did.

Kathryn

If her image of god didn't accommodate the hypothetical she shouldn't have tried to answer it with a non answer.

You will notice that my first post on this thread is number 16 - well after Abraham and Isaac were interjected into the thread and the discussion. My answers and commentary BEGAN with a discussion on Abraham and Isaac.

Me Myself

Back to my username

So it seems.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What do you think that difference is, Willa?
The story presents an ethical dilemma: doing what God commands, which is walking in righteousness with God, or doing what one personally feels is right, which in this case is an individuality that would stand alone against God. It's a dilemma of two rights, so which foot to stand on: which foot is the one that will hold a (good) man up?