• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Parents: If God Told You To...

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It certainly is not me who would follow blindly anything I'm told. You really are a peach, you will willingly kill your child if your god tells you to, but only if it's your god and then you berate me for bringing up people who committed similar atrocities on orders from above. Amazing!

There you go with your ridiculous rhetoric. I've never stated that I would kill my own child - for God or anyone. In fact, I've stated quite the opposite.

I've also clearly denounced repeatedly this notion of "blind faith" regardless of how many people have tried so desperately to hoist it onto me.

Your arguments (and I use that term loosely and generously here) are, frankly, losing steam rapidly.

Kathryn

No, No and NO

Are you required by law to do so?

I see I've perhaps made the mistake in thinking you were actually a lawfully employed working adult required by law to file a tax return. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kathryn

helpmeplease - do you light up a cigarette in a no smoking area, or do you go somewhere else to smoke?

There you go with your ridiculous rhetoric. I've never stated that I would kill my own child - for God or anyone. In fact, I've stated quite the opposite.

I've also clearly denounced repeatedly this notion of "blind faith" regardless of how many people have tried so desperately to hoist it onto me.

Your arguments (and I use that term loosely and generously here) are, frankly, losing steam rapidly.
In fact you have stated that you would not believe it was god telling you to and so would not kill your child. A very big difference to your claim. That you would defy your god if he told you to kill your child.

Kathryn

In fact you have stated that you would not believe it was god telling you to and so would not kill your child. A very big difference to your claim. That you would defy your god if he told you to kill your child.

You are simply refusing to be logical - but that's OK. I'm not expecting you to suddenly become a logical, reasonable person. I did not say I would defy God either - but I don't expect you to believe or understand what I'm saying anyway, so I'm just about done discussing this with you.

Kathryn

Hmmm borderline ad hominem..

Let me break this down for you. We're discussing obedience to authority. I asked helpmeplease if he had filed a tax return this year or last year or plans to next year (under the apparently mistaken assumption that he is lawfully employed and required to do so) and he said "no" so I asked for clarification.

helpmeplease - do you light up a cigarette in a no smoking area, or do you go somewhere else to smoke?
I'm actually one of those smokers who excused themselves from smoking in areas where others didn't like it well before any laws forced me too. Kathryn have you ever flatulated where others could be offended by it?

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
Let me break this down for you. We're discussing obedience to authority. I asked helpmeplease if he had filed a tax return this year or last year or plans to next year (under the apparently mistaken assumption that he is lawfully employed and required to do so) and he said "no" so I asked for clarification.

got it.

Kathryn

I'm actually one of those smokers who excused themselves from smoking in areas where others didn't like it well before any laws forced me too.

So you obey non smoking laws? Even if no one else is around? Why?

By the way, you didn't answer my question about your work (or non work) and whether or not you're required to file a tax return. Are you legally required to file a tax return?

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
It is amazing how fast these posts can morph into something different...However I guess it is relevant due to the obedience to authority claim.

So you obey non smoking laws? Even if no one else is around? Why?

By the way, you didn't answer my question about your work (or non work) and whether or not you're required to file a tax return. Are you legally required to file a tax return?
OK Kathryn, because I really do like your posts, I actually think we would get along very well, as opponents...lol.
No I do not work and therefore am not required to submit a tax return. I injured my back 11yrs ago and haven't worked since, not for lack of trying.:)
I obeyed my own smoking laws long before any laws were enacted. I only obey the laws enacted now because I'm a really nice person. I actually deliberately litter with my butts now (which I never did) just because the law wants to tell me how to behave.

Last edited:

Kathryn

OK Kathryn, because I really do like your posts, I actually think we would get along very well, as opponents...lol.
No I do not work and therefore am not required to submit a tax return. I injured my back 11yrs ago and haven't worked since, not for lack of trying.:)

OK, well that explains the lack of a tax return.

I'm going way out on a limb here and assuming that when you WERE required to file a tax return, you did so - whether you were due a tax refund or not. I'm assuming (and I could be wrong) that you also register your vehicle and keep it inspected as required by law. Why? Is this blind obedience to authority? Or is it because it's so much fun?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
No reason IMO to think so. I'd think he'd have gone through with it. That's the person that he was. Apparently the type of person God needed at the time. Otherwise the story would have been one of refusal.

Again it's not to test faith. It is to setup an event to let future generations know the faith the God requires. It's done, recorded, part of humanity's religious history.

Genesis 22 (New International Version)

22 Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, “Abraham!”

“Here I am,” he replied.

2 Then God said, “Take your son , your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you. ”

It is what is written. It says it is a test. Whether or not it had some usefulness in the future, and we can both agree that it had, it doesn't make it any less of a test.:shrug:

But ok say it happens again. Obviously not with me or you. We'd both refuse. So God finds someone willing to sacrifice their child to God. They intend to carryout the event. God again turns their hand and they report this event.

Now what? Are you going to believe their claim. Is it going to change anything for you? Maybe they'll go on to found a new tribe of chosen people.

This is way beyond my point.

I always kind of thought that if there was any reality to the story that Abraham at the last moment said screw this. This is stupid to sacrifice my son for God. That's what really turned his hand at the last minute. However that's not how it got reported.

Could had been the case. Who knows? :shrug:

I'm going way out on a limb here and assuming that when you WERE required to file a tax return, you did so - whether you were due a tax refund or not. I'm assuming (and I could be wrong) that you also register your vehicle and keep it inspected as required by law. Why? Is this blind obedience to authority? Or is it because it's so much fun?
Well perhaps you should know that voting in my country is compulsory, local, state and federal and I haven't even attended a polling booth for a quarter of a century. I'm an iconoclast I abhor authority, I recognise the need for it, I just despise the way it is abused in almost all situations.
But now I am in serious trouble, because it is 5:30am here and the ultimate authority has just got up to go to work. I'm taking her out for dinner tonight, so hopefully that will ease my pain.:facepalm:

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary

Wouldnt you agree there is a huge difference doing what is required by law and taking orders for someone or something that has no bearing on your legal system...like continuing to push a button you know is harmful, but the only reason you continue to do so is because the authority figure keeps asking you to do it.

Milgram Experiment - The Milgram Obedience Experiment