• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those who doubt the Ouija Board...

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I remain skeptical- of the hundreds of methods of divination throughout history none are valid means of acquiring information not readily available.
That's just it --it's only the "joke", the "fortunetelling", when it tells you things that are available. That's when alarm bells go off; that's when ghosts have stepped in to confirm their existence. Like in an annecdote related recently in another thread: the Ouija board was deemed "working" when it "said things no one else could have known"; when it confirmed the truth of information already available.

On the other hand, when it tells you things you can't confirm, you could easily dismiss it as having not said anything of value.

And on the third hand, there's divination.

Ideally, divination isn't fortunetelling, it is guidance. It is asking the "god(s)" for confirmation of things in your life that involve the decision-making process. It doesn't "tell you" what to do, rather it gives signs that what you've already decided (the course you've set for yourself) is approved of by god/universe/fate/powers that be. Recognizing that the signs come from us, from our own psyche/unconscious mind/spirit, is part of that process. It's an attitude that involves us consciously in a living universe, rather than gasps with shock when the living universe involves us in it.

my 2 cents

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
And on the third hand, there's divination.

Ideally, divination isn't fortunetelling, it is guidance. It is asking the "god(s)" for confirmation of things in your life that involve the decision-making process. It doesn't "tell you" what to do, rather it gives signs that what you've already decided (the course you've set for yourself) is approved of by god/universe/fate/powers that be. Recognizing that the signs come from us, from our own psyche/unconscious mind/spirit, is part of that process. It's an attitude that involves us consciously in a living universe, rather than gasps with shock when the living universe involves us in it.

my 2 cents

Very beautifully said Patty.

I do think that divination is widely mis'understood.

I'd love to add a few things,
but there's too many distractions here right now.

maybe later.

(I'll frubal you later too. It won't let me now.) ;)

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
OK, with my broken English, i need to ask questions;

what do you do with Quija?
what kind of function does it serve your daily life?

Your English is better than most of the Brits and Canadians on the board. :D

While many Americans use it for a party game, many also use it as a communication tool. It is believed that the pointer can be influenced by Divine beings or spirits. You pretty much ask it a question and it (hopefully) gives you an answer.

blackout

Violet.
yes. the 'spirits' to which you OPEN yourSelf
will influence your experience.
and your reading.

The whole asthetic
"stirrs" the presence of 'magic' and 'being'
in you... and in the space of "your room".
Add candles, music ... atmosphere...
maybe a Storm outside... ;)

and fantastic things WILL to happen the state of Your Being.

To see 'other' things
you must be willing to paradigm shift.
or... shift your assemblage point.
Shift willingly with the warp and weave of 'creation'.

Last edited:

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
yes. the 'spirits' to which you OPEN yourSelf
will influence your experience.
and your reading.

The whole asthetic
"stirrs" the presence of 'magic' and 'being'
in you... and in the space of "your room".
Add candles, music ... atmosphere...
maybe a Storm outside... ;)

and fantastic things WILL to happen the state of Your Being.

To see 'other' things
you must be willing to paradigm shift.
or... shift your assemblage point.
Shift willingly with the warp and weave of 'creation'.
Hey talk like that will make people think a Ouija board is a tool, just like any other tool that we may use for similar purposes.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I do believe all those forms of divinations are silly. A few years back I offered $100,000 to anyone who could prove that they had some form of paranormal power, or that they could prove that paranormal power existed (could be by using the Ouija board, tarot cards, whatever they wanted). After examining, and debunking over a thousand cases, I felt that it was a waste of my time to continue with the research and with drew my challenge. Simply, I have never seen any evidence that any form of divination works, and more so, I can replicate any form I've seen to date, usually with better accuracy than the actual practitioner.

James Randi has also made a name for himself debunking these forms of ideas. He has a million dollar offer to anyone who can show the paranormal.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
english_ouija_board.jpg

Two person's place their fingertips lightly on the pointer. A question is usually asked. The pointer moves to spell out or indicate the answer, if the spirits are working with you. Both that are resting their fingertips must be serious though. They are not supposed to influence the movement of the pointer in any way. They simply rest their fingertips on it and let it work.

Do they have qwerty format ouija boards?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I do believe all those forms of divinations are silly. A few years back I offered $100,000 to anyone who could prove that they had some form of paranormal power, or that they could prove that paranormal power existed (could be by using the Ouija board, tarot cards, whatever they wanted). After examining, and debunking over a thousand cases, I felt that it was a waste of my time to continue with the research and with drew my challenge. Simply, I have never seen any evidence that any form of divination works, and more so, I can replicate any form I've seen to date, usually with better accuracy than the actual practitioner.

What were your standards for debunking, and what kind of cases did you have?

Smoke

Done here.
If you think the Ouija board is a joke, do you feel the same way about Tarot readings, Runes, Palm Readings, Ball Gazing, Dice, Tea Leaves, Pendulums, Astrology, any other form of Divination, or Fortune Telling?
Because I haven't seen any convincing evidence of gods or spirits, it goes without saying that I'm skeptical about attempt to communicate with them, but I think any form of divination can be useful in the hands of a responsible and perceptive practitioner. That is, I'm not convinced that divination will ever tell you anything you don't already know, but I think it can be, and sometimes is, an effective way to access things you already know but haven't put together on a conscious level.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin

James Randi has also made a name for himself debunking these forms of ideas. He has a million dollar offer to anyone who can show the paranormal.

In the spirit of this thread, I find this highly doubtful.